ACC renegotiating TV deal with ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC renegotiating TV deal with ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't believe there is an offer from SEC to the ACC yet. SEC can take all the time they want because no one is leaving their conference. I would think SEC would be interested in NCST, Clemson, VTECH and FSU if they want to go to 14 or 16. All those schools are in their footprint and bring a new big TV market. FSU is a national name so there is value there even though they already got FLA.

When the SEC does offer, it won't be like the ACC who did it like thieves in the night.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Supposedly, the SEC is not interested in expanding within their footprint.

What does Florida State do for the SEC? Not much - they have U of F. Clemson offers less. And so on.

Virginia Tech or NCSU or UNC is a different story. I would bet the ranch on the Carolina schools staying put, but if they ever truly offered Tech...who knows.

Very hard to see VT turning down an opportunity to play in the SEC.

Reaction Score
From SECNews247 tweets:
"Just to clarify, #VT contacted the #SEC around a week ago. As of yesterday I thought no way, but 2 sources yesterday confirmed our interest"
"Hearing #Slive is entertaining conversations from #VaTech. Looking like he wants #FSU #VT and either #WV or #Mizz with the last 2 50/50"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pitt's of no particular value - Syracuse isn't really, either.

But you kill a rival by taking both.

Why they don't want Rutgers is puzzling.

UConn and Rutgers are worth much more than Pitt and Syracuse. Kind of puzzling they went the way they did. I stick by my theory that Swofford didn't trust UConn and Rutgers to just say "yes". where Pitt and Syracuse wouldn't hesitate.

Reaction Score
I stick by my theory that Swofford didn't trust UConn and Rutgers to just say "yes". where Pitt and Syracuse wouldn't hesitate.
Agree on Pitt, not on SU. SU was always on ACC's radar, going back to the original raid. Pitt was the puzzling pick for me. UConn and/or RU made much more sense from geography, and market. UConn made more sense from overall athletic performance across the board.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn and Rutgers are worth much more than Pitt and Syracuse. Kind of puzzling they went the way they did. I stick by my theory that Swofford didn't trust UConn and Rutgers to just say "yes". where Pitt and Syracuse wouldn't hesitate.

I actually don't think any of them are worth much in the grand scheme of things. Really, what does Syracuse or Pitt bring to the ACC? Huge TV markets? No. Great football programs? No. Do either of them bring anything Rutgers or UConn wouldn't? No. Would UConn or Rutgers bring anything the other two wouldn't? No.

It's a grab bag. ESPN isn't lining up to throw cash at the ACC because they've bettered themselves in any major way. They're going to redistribute cash they might have had to pay for a Big East product. The revenue pie is the same size as it was - the ACC will just claim the Big East's slices.

Reaction Score
Agree on Pitt, not on SU. SU was always on ACC's radar, going back to the original raid. Pitt was the puzzling pick for me. UConn and/or RU made much more sense from geography, and market. UConn made more sense from overall athletic performance across the board.

Exactly SU was replaced by VT in the original raid i read a rumor somewhere that UCONN was replaced by Pitt by BCU's request all three of those add more to the ACC then rutgers

Reaction Score
In an ideal world the ESPN negotiators would point out that adding SU and Pitt really doesn't significantly expand the ACC's television marketability. Upstate NY and Western PA are hardly demographic dreamworlds for advertisers. My fantasy is that they say "you just added 17% more teams but we only see your league as being worth 10% more royalties." The sad part is that absent other considerations that is precisely how the negotiation should go, but it won't.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The product isn't necessarily more appealing, but they'll be selling more of it.

We're both selling milk. I shoot your cow.

Come Monday, I'll still be selling the same milk, but more of it and for a higher price.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
$96 Million.

TCU and WVU will cost the ESPN/B12 $40 million in 2016,
SU and Pitt will cost ESPN/ACC $32 million in 2016.
The other ACC teams will cost ESPN/ACC $24 million in 2016.

$96 Million to kill the BE contract.

Any teams added to the Big East will be teams with all sports media contracts worth $1.5 mil or under today. The BE teams will bring their $3.9 million all sports contracts to the table--possibly without a BCS affiliation.

My guess? A 50% raise is the very top. $6 mil for football/basketball and $3 mil each for basketball or football only. 8 fo0tball and 16 basketball. $72 million in 2016.

Reaction Score
In an ideal world the ESPN negotiators would point out that adding SU and Pitt really doesn't significantly expand the ACC's television marketability. Upstate NY and Western PA are hardly demographic dreamworlds for advertisers. My fantasy is that they say "you just added 17% more teams but we only see your league as being worth 10% more royalties." The sad part is that absent other considerations that is precisely how the negotiation should go, but it won't.

Syracuse does not have Upstate NY. They have Central NY. That's it.

Reaction Score
blauds mark blaudschun

We think ACC first look was at UConn and Cuse, but then someone threw a road block on UConn and Pitt became the choice
23 Sep

https://twitter.com/#!/blauds
If you read Blaudschun's column, I don't know how you come to any other conclusion than BC blackballing UConn. It's pretty clear from the accumulation of tweets. Blaudschun knows people at BC pretty well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Upstater, I am pretty much convinced (primarily from things I heard months before) that the ACC had UConn and Cuse as a package deal as their plan to renegotiate their TV deal. What hurt UConn was that the ACC had to move fast (offer to acceptance had to occur within a couple of days and they needed to be able to make the offers almost immediately after their meeting) and with BC on the committee, debating whether UConn should or shouldn't be part of the expansion could have lasted a few days in itself.

The unique circumstances of how the ACC raided the BE this time temporarily gave BC quite a bit of power. If they dio expand to sixteen, it won't be under similar circumstances so a full evaluation/debate will be allowed to happen prior to their decisions.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
The Big 12 was also looking a t Pitt. As it came out these teams were in play for quite a while before the announcement.

Sunday, 28 August 2011 13:00

With Texas A&M all but gone from the Big 12, the conference is looking for at least one new member. A name being mentioned: Pitt.

In stories today in the New York Times and the Tulsa World, Pitt was suggested as a possible addition to the league, as was West Virginia. Such a move would be highly unlikely, but crazier things -- Texas Christian to the Big East -- have been known to happen.

Pitt today officially refused to address the speculation, which may or may not mean something.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Also--Faiirfield I think you had it right before. Rutgers and UConn aren't going anywhere. Add Pitt and SU and isolate the RU and UConn and freeze out the B12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom