ACC proposes adding four teams to 68-team NCAA field | The Boneyard

ACC proposes adding four teams to 68-team NCAA field

Reaction Score
The proposal to have two "first four" tourney play ins instead of one, would have, this year, benefited Baylor, the Irish, USC, and St. Mary's.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm kind of surprised I didn't end up inside the Women's board, and unwilling to click on the linked article.
#twiceshy

Reaction Score
Cool so now teams like NDame and BC can get invites...how great. :rolleyes:

(teams like the 2018 versions, I mean)

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Every team added hurts us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So this was me reading this thread
ACC proposes adding four teams

What?! Alright!!

to 68-team NCAA field

bigstock-Portrait-of-a-sad-man-41540233-300x234.jpg

Reaction Score
They should really just let everybody in. Sort of like everyone gets a trophy. And it will be so cool when #356 beats a #1 for the first time. 64 was perfect. 68 screws little guys who have to play in and give teams that don’t deserve to be there a chance. This would make it worse. The extra slots ain’t going to good mid-majors.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
As long as all four additional teams are from the ACC...brilliant! Why not just call the entire thing the "ACC Invitational". Let Swofford pick the rest of the field after all the ACC teams are seeded.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Maybe they'll let the Minnesota Timberwolves in so they can finally (try) to win something.

Reaction Score
I guess they're mad that they have not been able to break the Big East record of having 11 teams in the NCAA Tournament. Champion that tear Uconn.

I remember twice it being mentioned they would/could break or tie the record. Adding more teams gives them a chance. Lolol

Reaction Score
Undeniably, something is lost.

And for what?

Answer: To create more NCAA Tournament opportunities for mediocre Power 5 teams, which is why it's hardly surprising it's the ACC coaches who are prepared to submit this proposal. There are 15 coaches in the ACC, you see, each of whom has a multimillion-dollar contract. They all know the key to securing extensions (and avoiding termination) is to make the NCAA Tournament, at worst, every few years. And, obviously, it's easier to do that if there are more spots available. So, naturally, they want more spots available.

ACC coaches recommend to expand the NCAA Tournament to 72 teams for their own selfish reasons

C

Chief00

Undeniably, something is lost.

And for what?

Answer: To create more NCAA Tournament opportunities for mediocre Power 5 teams, which is why it's hardly surprising it's the ACC coaches who are prepared to submit this proposal. There are 15 coaches in the ACC, you see, each of whom has a multimillion-dollar contract. They all know the key to securing extensions (and avoiding termination) is to make the NCAA Tournament, at worst, every few years. And, obviously, it's easier to do that if there are more spots available. So, naturally, they want more spots available.

ACC coaches recommend to expand the NCAA Tournament to 72 teams for their own selfish reasons

Exactly. They should call it the 2018 Coach’s Preservation Act

Reaction Score
But..But...VCU went from First Four to Final Four...and here I thought you guys championed the Cinderellas...the more at the ball, the more that have a chance to dance with the prince.

I don't like the addition of another First Four, but I think a lot of board objection is dislike for the proposer.

Yep, if SOS and computer metrics are continued to be used to determine bubble teams, it will tend to favor P5 teams.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
But..But...VCU went from First Four to Final Four...and here I thought you guys championed the Cinderellas...the more at the ball, the more that have a chance to dance with the prince.

I don't like the addition of another First Four, but I think a lot of board objection is dislike for the proposer.

Yep, if SOS and computer metrics are continued to be used to determine bubble teams, it will tend to favor P5 teams.
You should have a disclaimer under your handle that you are the resident FSU/ACC apologist, for those here who aren't familiar with your work.

The ACC is looking at being doubled-up in revenue by the B1G soon, and are sniffing around for more $.

Reaction Score
That piece was EXACTLY on the money and why the NCAA should either:
1. Go back to 64 and reduce the # of at-large bids
2.If that isn’t acceptable and honestly I know it won’t be, require only at-large teams to play in. Conference winners regardless of league ought to get their shot, and not to play another small school conference winner.
I’d also add a rule that you have to finish in the top half of your league to get an at large bid. That year the Big East got 11 that everyone likes to brag on, other than UConn the league was shown to be a paper tiger. I think only 3 made it past the first weekend and 2 of those played other BE members. And there were more than a few pretty embarrassing loses like Morehead St over 4 seed Louisville and Notre Dame going down to a 10

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It is getting to be a bit much, but I don't mind 1 play-in game, per region. I always thought is was weird that only 2 regions had a "first 4" game. As a fan of college hoops, I wouldn't mind watching another do-or-die game, but I want it to be written in stone, in the NCAA by-laws, that expansion of the tourney is OVER after that. On a similar note, what does the BY think about expanding the college football playoff? I'm not a huge college football fan, but I do support the Huskies, and watch some of the big collegiate games throughout the year. How about making it a 6 team format, with the top 2 teams getting a bye? Finally, let us all acknowledge last years NCAA football champs...UCF!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom