ACC official wants RU and UConn as 15th and 16th | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC official wants RU and UConn as 15th and 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw that report too. That directly contradicts Chip Brown's reporting which stated that Texas is essentially looking to the Pac 12. Read here: http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1266526 Say what you want about him being a mouthpiece for the UT president, he is, but his information is usually pretty close to the truth, or at least what the UT president wants you to believe. There's also these quotes from K to Andy Katz, blatantly campaigning for UConn - "He said he'd like to see 16 teams, taking two more schools that have comparable rich basketball traditions and are in the Eastern time zone." http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-pittsburgh-panthers-syracuse-orange-coup-acc He sure ain't talking about Seton Hall. I'm not sure the ACC members are jumping at the idea of having to fly out to Kansas or Austin. Who knows at this point. For all we know, UConn will end up in the AL East.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
As long as Texas, Texas Tech, Missouri and the Missouris are in play there will be no peace.

Then the ACC has to gut check and see if there is a concensus over the NY market or other remainders. That's my best guess.

ACC North (the ReUNION Conference):
--------------
BC
UConn
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Maryland
-----------------

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
He's just as stupid as Tranghese. But 200 lbs heavier.
Dick Weiss can be clueless about many NCAA topics, but he painted a big fat target on Marinaro and smacked him over the wall with today's article, When Syracuse and Pittsburgh leave Big East for ACC, commissioner John Marinatto is the one to blame. The guy had a few years to fend off the poachers and create a sustainable BCS conference, but he fumbled balls and threw interceptions setting the stage for Pitt's and Syracuse's leaders to feel they had no choice but to act.

After UConn had an ex-president (Hogan) with his eyes on other opportunities, an interim president (Austin) that just plugged a hole and collected a check, and a deposed, ex-AD (Hathaway) appropriately pushed out the door for his other multiple failings, the Huskies find their way into a workable conference with fellow programs committed to decent quality 1-A football, hoops, and other significant sports. Knock on wood.

Reaction Score
Breaking News ESPN

Press Conference 9:30 Cuse & Pitt

Next up uconn rutgers

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The smart move for UConn and Rutgers is to look like they are sticking together, and then leak that they have had informal discussions with Big 10 representatives. Delaney can deny all he wants, the ACC would have to make a decision on that information.

Reaction Score
Finally had a chance to watch the Jurich interview, wow is he pissed and just stunned. Very interesting stuff. When he said he Marinate didnt even get a phone call from Pitt and SU, wow.

I do think the "silence" out of Storrs, Mo'Town, and Exit 9 speaks volumes, and we are all 3 in play/discussions with other conferences.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Finally had a chance to watch the Jurich interview, wow is he pissed and just stunned. Very interesting stuff. When he said he Marinate didnt even get a phone call from Pitt and SU, wow.

I do think the "silence" out of Storrs, Mo'Town, and Exit 9 speaks volumes, and we are all 3 in play/discussions with other conferences.
Yeah, I'm hoping the silence from Storrs means we don't want to say anything until Monday plays out. If Texas doesn't go ACC, we might be in. I thought RU issued one of those "proud member of the BE monitoring the landscape yada yada" statements?

Reaction Score
It's going to be an interresting couple of days. I think the Big10 got stung by surprise here. If they dont act quickly they are going to have an unfavorable route to 16. If Rutgers, SU, Pitt or UConn were in their plans for 16 and if 16 is the way to go they are somewhat screwed if Texas and the gang go PAC10. we need to hope 16 is the goal otherwise we are going to end up in a crappy coalition of midlevel teams and still tied to the basketball schools. You have to assume we are trying for an invite somewhere. It would be irresponsible for us to still be committed to the Big East at this point for anything other than public opinion. For selfish reasons I would love to go Big Ten and get the huskies in Minneapolis once in a while. But I could really care less as long as we are at the Big Boys table

Reaction Score
It's going to be an interresting couple of days. I think the Big10 got stung by surprise here. If they dont act quickly they are going to have an unfavorable route to 16. If Rutgers, SU, Pitt or UConn were in their plans for 16 and if 16 is the way to go they are somewhat screwed if Texas and the gang go PAC10. we need to hope 16 is the goal otherwise we are going to end up in a crappy coalition of midlevel teams and still tied to the basketball schools. You have to assume we are trying for an invite somewhere. It would be irresponsible for us to still be committed to the Big East at this point for anything other than public opinion. For selfish reasons I would love to go Big Ten and get the huskies in Minneapolis once in a while. But I could really care less as long as we are at the Big Boys table

But they don't need 16 teams. And even if they did, they could wait for ND to move, and then add one more. It's not going to be hard for them to find one more team.

Potentially, the ACC MIGHT really thrive in the NYC market if they can lock it down. That is a threat to the Big10, but we'll have to see what happens.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
One thought: Herbst should absolutely work every possible channel to the B1G before committing to the ACC. However the timeline for when to make the decision is unclear, at least to me, because there are so many moving parts across the country. Boneyarders today are more confident based on the USA today report, and I am too, but it would appear this move is based on the ACC prioritizing a Northeastern presence above other possibilities. Let's hope that remains their priority while UConn and Rutgers work the phones to Indianapolis and their contacts in the midwest.

I would feel better about our chances in the B1G if we could move as a triumvirate with Cuse, but that's off the table, so now it depends on ND and maybe Texas. Probably ND isn't changing their mind, but it's worth a shot trying to work something out. I would be happy if UConn winds up in the ACC, all eastern time zone, but I think if UConn and RU can get in the Big10 it is better in the long run for those schools on an institution level.

Reaction Score
One thought: Herbst should absolutely work every possible channel to the B1G before committing to the ACC. However the timeline for when to make the decision is unclear, at least to me, because there are so many moving parts across the country. Boneyarders today are more confident based on the USA today report, and I am too, but it would appear this move is based on the ACC prioritizing a Northeastern presence above other possibilities. Let's hope that remains their priority while UConn and Rutgers work the phones to Indianapolis and their contacts in the midwest.

I would feel better about our chances in the B1G if we could move as a triumvirate with Cuse, but that's off the table, so now it depends on ND and maybe Texas. Probably ND isn't changing their mind, but it's worth a shot trying to work something out. I would be happy if UConn winds up in the ACC, all eastern time zone, but I think if UConn and RU can get in the Big10 it is better in the long run for those schools on an institution level.

I can't see Cuse as a fit to the B10 at all. Doesn't make sense to me. Pitt and Rutgers yes, Cuse no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom