ACC network officially happening | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC network officially happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By mid-2020s if we're not in a P5 conference the state needs to strong arm ESPN. F--- the tax breaks. Go move to LA where you really wanna be.

Reaction Score
I wonder just what the "reworked TV deal" entails...beyond the OTT streaming network...I would imagine that there must be a renegotiated payout as well to entice that long extension of the GOR.

Since this announcement is coming close to the five year "look in" timing...it well could be.

If all programs sign on the dotted line...this should end the CR schemes that include Notre Dame moving, dampen the endless FSU and Clemson leaving the ACC scenarios, and solidify the ACC for the rest of my remaining life.

At any rate...the Big 12 no longer has the luxury to out wait the ACC but must move to strengthen their conference...and the sooner (pun intended) the better.

I think that the Big 12 will look at Notre Dame as a possible #15 add for the ACC and realize that means a future #16 add. They missed on Louisville because of internal wrangling and there will be pressure to grab the best of what remains. And to lengthen their GOR to protect against poaching.

There may be a thought in the Big Ten about moving to 16, especially if it appears that the Big 12 is not able to solidify with a long term GOR and their big draws are available.

Interesting times ahead, especially if the Big 12 shocks the world, gulps and says.."we must go to 16 proactively" and adds an eastern wing/pod to augment WVU east of the Big Muddy.

I can't see how any of this does anything but help UConn....the ACC will still need a 16...the Big Ten is still open, and the Big 12 may be forced to finally move.

Reaction Score
9 million message board posts and Tweets about the ACC never getting a network, dying and being raided by the other conferences....all completely, totally, wildly wrong.

Six years worth of speculation...done. Gone. Over.

As far as ND is concerned, as Billy suggests, ND would have joined, if it wanted to join, at the time this thing was announced.

It did not.

Instead, ND and the ACC extended the current membership deal until 2036.

This is the White Paper, the blueprint, master plan of ND and the ACC for the next twenty years.....

This is the structure we will have for two decades. Locked into place.

...and it does not include ND football joining the conference, in fact, it memoralizes and freezes the status quo in place.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I get the anger and frustration but do people truly believe we should be doing anything but kiss ESPN's butt so they stay put in CT??? With this state going down the crapper I can't imagine why any resident here would want to force any company, especially one as well recognized as ESPN, to leave the state if they don't let our state U into a better conference.....I know we all love our Huskies, but let's be a little realistic in terms of what this state needs to truly survive....

Reaction Score
As I've said before, the B12 needs to take the best programs left and then shop a deal. The lesser schools cannot follow the guidance of UT and OU, they need to act in self preservation. Once the new programs are added and ESPN is forced to accept it, the B12 can get a better deal. ESPN is trying to preserve the pennies on the dollar programming the AAC provides.

The issue is going to be that UT and OU only need to string along one other program, say KU, to keep the other schools from winning a vote. If they need 8 votes to pass anything, they can't have anyone else against expansion beyond UT and OU. I'm pretty sure it will be easy for UT/OU to get one or more of KU, OSU etc. to agree with them, especially if one of those schools knows they have an in with the B1G or SEC.

Nonetheless, I find it surprising that the ACC members will lock in to an extended GOR, so maybe the B1G isn't looking at the schools we think they are. Some have long said that UNC and UVA would never leave the ACC and that their respective fanbases don't want to. It's possible, that the marquee names just aren't in play and it's a non- starter. UConn to the B1G makes a lot more sense with this ACC news. For those that say "no way", look at all of our recent hiring in the AD and the name dropping going on in President Herbst's speaking engagements. It's all B1G. UConn is clearly spending at a time when spending is not politically correct. Either we have reason to believe we can get into the B1G or we are flushing a ton of money down the toilet as the state of CT nears bankruptcy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get the anger and frustration but do people truly believe we should be doing anything but kiss ESPN's butt so they stay put in CT??? With this state going down the crapper I can't imagine why any resident here would want to force any company, especially one as well recognized as ESPN, to leave the state if they don't let our state U into a better conference.....I know we all love our Huskies, but let's be a little realistic in terms of what this state needs to truly survive....

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Reaction Score
It makes no sense to chase them away. ESPN is an important part of the economy. Connecticut needs to create opportunity and a pro-business climate. Chasing away a major company is not the public image the state needs after all the bad publicity GE created with their exit. The next big business news out of CT needs to be something good not an act of stupidity to show the country that CT's stance is, "pay our huge tax bills or get out". The answer will always be, "ok see you later."

Reaction Score
Keep your friends near...as UConn has done with the B1G...and as Syracuse just did when they hired the ESPN VP for Programming and Production as their AD.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UConn's P5 chances remain the same...

1. Notre Dame joins the ACC as full-time member 15, UConn is added to round it out at 16.

2. With no P5 schools to lure, B12 expands with G5 schools.

3. Long shot - B1G not done with its eastward march.

Buuuut, what will really happen...

1. Notre Dame will never join a conference and why should they? NBC money is 100% theirs and they have successfully put their non-football sports in top conferences.

2. B12 hems and haws and hems and haws and hires a consulting firm to tell them that hiring consultant firms give them 11.2% better chance at making a decision in the next 100 years, then all of the conference's school Presidents quit and/or are subject of a disgusting scandal. After 5 years of weekly, conflicting press conferences, the B12 expands with Houston and BYU because they will have won the most football games in the previous season.

3. The B1G stays put with what they have and tries to develop new members Rutgers and Maryland, reminding everyone in Oklahoma of the P5 financial pecking order.

Reaction Score
I hold out hope that UConn will eventually join the ACC. One has to like the media product, for one thing, in terms of your demographics and the NYC audience. For another, the schadenfreude of watching you guys deal with the ACC "blue bloods" would show a similar intrigue that we supply them now, here at Louisville. With BC, Cuse and Pitt in your quadrant, it makes pretty good sense, all in all.

Your baseball program has become pretty awesome in general, by the way - as has ours. We have absolutely enormous similarities. I so remember you playing down here with the George Springer team. It was hilariously memorable because as I was sitting alone for a change, I grabbed a seat behind home plate and found myself sitting 3 seats away from Muhammed Ali. I honestly had no idea. Well, "hilarious" were the excuses your guys used to chase balls and run errands behind the plate to get some good looks at Ali. I think you also won that series, lol, bastids.

It may be a pipe dream and I may even be somehow unique in my regard for you all......although I doubt it. You have an objective claim as a power athletic program, to say nothing of your academics.

Reaction Score
9 million message board posts and Tweets about the ACC never getting a network, dying and being raided by the other conferences....all completely, totally, wildly wrong.

Six years worth of speculation...done. Gone. Over.

As far as ND is concerned, as Billy suggests, ND would have joined, if it wanted to join, at the time this thing was announced.

It did not.

Instead, ND and the ACC extended the current membership deal until 2036.

This is the White Paper, the blueprint, master plan of ND and the ACC for the next twenty years.....

This is the structure we will have for two decades. Locked into place.

...and it does not include ND football joining the conference, in fact, it memoralizes and freezes the status quo in place.

This is true that ND locks in the status quo, but the Football playoff is the wildcard that could make them change their mind. The Playoff committee has given preference to teams that have won their conference championship (regular season and championship game) games. ND won't ever have that on their resume. The BIG 12 adding teams and creating a championship game adds pressure to ND. ND still holds all the cards and will make the decision to join the ACC on their terms. I just don't see it happening unless the playoff shuts them out do to the fact that they could have a near perfect season but have not won a conference championship. If that scenario happens and the committee decides to include them in the playoff, then they stay put with their current special relationship with the ACC.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if the ACCN will be located out of Charlotte along with ESPNU/SECN? I saw where NC State built a new broadcasting facility on their campus recently but didn't know if that was to self stream for the ACCDN or if it was for the new ACCN. Could also be that ESPN tries to do the ACCN out of CT (which would really be a kick to the sack).

Reaction Score
UConn's P5 chances remain the same...

1. Notre Dame joins the ACC as full-time member 15, UConn is added to round it out at 16.

2. With no P5 schools to lure, B12 expands with G5 schools.

3. Long shot - B1G not done with its eastward march.

Buuuut, what will really happen...

1. Notre Dame will never join a conference and why should they? NBC money is 100% theirs and they have successfully put their non-football sports in top conferences.
The NBC money is only for their home football games. It appears that all other sports (except hockey) that were part of the NBCSports channel are going to be locked up by the ACC/ESPN. They still have the problem of not being a participant in a conference championship game in FB that will be held against them.

This is a 20 year plan that probably has multiple look in provisions as well as restructure clauses. One side of me says this handcuffs ND to the ACC. Since ND has successfully been able to structure their traditional/sacrosanct opponents onto the FB schedule (UM, USC. Navy), it helps smooth the way to eventual full membership if the contract has a $$ figure greater than NBC (2025 expiration).

The other side says that this handcuffs the ACC to ND and allows ND to continue to call the shots. ND probably has some exclusionary clause somewhere that allows them to break the GOR at their choosing with some sort of monetary penalty. They maintain ultimate flexibility to stay independent or grab the best conference deal in 2025. I feel this is the more likely of the two possibilities.

For Uconn, nothing different today than yesterday for anyone that is a rational thinker. Keep working and building and trying to get the AAU status (which has importance far beyond athletics). When the Big 12 votes no on expansion this week too, nothing changes for Uconn.

Reaction Score
there's too many moving parts to say with any confidence whether this is good or bad for UConn.

but my gut feeling says it's bad for UConn.

for the life of me I can't understand why FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, and any other school with a puncher's chance at the SEC or Big 10 would sign an extended GOR.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
there's too many moving parts to say with any confidence whether this is good or bad for UConn.

for the life of me I can't understand why FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, and any other school with a puncher's chance at the SEC or Big 10 would sign an extended GOR.
if this is bad for UConn, outside of a flat out invite, what would be considered good for UConn? The game of hot potato just heated up, the landscape will look much different than most expected....................this is good for UConn.

Reaction Score

Relevance in the sports that matter and keeping pathways to national championships and exposure to top recruits in their key sports open. And we don't know the ACC money boost yet. Does it get them to 95%+ of the SEC/B1G? If so, then stopping the madness for a while might be okay with them.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Relevance in the sports that matter and keeping pathways to national championships and exposure to top recruits in their key sports open. And we don't know the ACC money boost yet. Does it get them to 95%+ of the SEC/B1G? If so, then stopping the madness for a while might be okay with them.
Stopping the madness is certainly a factor for many decision makers at these universities.

Reaction Score
ESPN to deliver promised ACC network
ACC commissioner John Swofford will undoubtedly reveal more during his ACC Kickoff keynote speech in Charlotte. Until then, I have a few stray observations about the news.

• I've used a considerable amount of digital space to argue against a traditional, linear cable channel and the difficulties of launching a new network in an era of cord cutting and Disney budget cuts. My opinion hasn't changed with ESPN's reported plans. The window to launch an ACC channel is 3 years, which is an eternity in "internet time." By 2017, the television landscape will look vastly different with the influx of over-the-top internet streaming options and skinny bundles. That makes ESPN's decision to flip the current ACC Network into a digital platform the more newsworthy item.
  • The new ACC grant of rights deal that ties Notre Dame to the conference is what folks in the media business would consider "burying the lede." Getting the Irish to give up football independence would do more to secure the ACC's bottom line than a channel.
  • According to Ourand, the long turnaround time for a traditional cable channel is related to ESPN's cable and satellite carriage arrangements. When the SEC Network was announced, it coincided with upcoming negotiations with operators. By 2019, it's entirely possible the ACC channel could replace ESPNews or ESPNU in your channel lineup. Think FS1 emerging from the now defunct Speed Channel.
  • Given the rumors ESPN owed the ACC a large sum of money if they failed to deliver a dedicated network before the start of the football season, it's not a stretch to think launching "ACC Network Plus" now was a way to satisfy contract terms.
  • The "ACC Network Plus" will live inside WatchESPN and will require a pay TV service to access. It's a curious play, given the trend of standalone products like HBO Now, but I'm sure the financial math makes more sense for all parties involved. It appears ESPN sees growing their digital products as add-on benefits for subscribers. However, the ACC is theoretically getting more money out of the deal and the cash has to come from somewhere. Since it won't be generated from a standalone service, consumers will end up paying for it with higher cable/satellite bills.
  • There are questions regarding Raycom and Fox Sports Net. Each network has a suite of games through 2027. Is ESPN buying those games back? Are Raycom and Fox Sports Net getting a cut? My guess is "ACC Network Plus" would lift regional blackout restrictions associated with ESPN3 streams of Raycom and Fox Sports Net.
  • The name of the game is the game. Consumers want to watch their favorite teams, while studio shows and all the other periphery only add to the expense of running a network. Will the digital ACC Network forgo talking heads in favor of simply being a destination for games?
Read more at ESPN to deliver promised ACC network :: WRALSportsFan.com

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The ACC is all-in on betting they just have to run faster than the B12. There can only be a P4 in the future, and if they stay together their inclusion should be guaranteed.

Reaction Score
On the contrary, I would say the ACC is not only on solid footing, but that their general more compelling image is expanding. Louisville has added additional Oomph to football with our current trajectory. The division we play in has 3 Top 15 teams, a National Champion and a National Runnerup and now a contender for the same in the Cards. UNC is building, Miami has Richt coaching, Duke's coach seems like quite a keeper. FSU, Clemson and UofL provide satisfying offenses loaded with future Sunday players.

The lower tier basketball teams like Clemson, FSU and Ga Tech are very much improving. Olynpic sports have always been huge in the ACC.

They have an upward arc, imo. It looks pretty rosy.

Reaction Score
As I've said before, the B12 needs to take the best programs left and then shop a deal. The lesser schools cannot follow the guidance of UT and OU, they need to act in self preservation. Once the new programs are added and ESPN is forced to accept it, the B12 can get a better deal. ESPN is trying to preserve the pennies on the dollar programming the AAC provides.

The issue is going to be that UT and OU only need to string along one other program, say KU, to keep the other schools from winning a vote. If they need 8 votes to pass anything, they can't have anyone else against expansion beyond UT and OU. I'm pretty sure it will be easy for UT/OU to get one or more of KU, OSU etc. to agree with them, especially if one of those schools knows they have an in with the B1G or SEC.

Nonetheless, I find it surprising that the ACC members will lock in to an extended GOR, so maybe the B1G isn't looking at the schools we think they are. Some have long said that UNC and UVA would never leave the ACC and that their respective fanbases don't want to. It's possible, that the marquee names just aren't in play and it's a non- starter. UConn to the B1G makes a lot more sense with this ACC news. For those that say "no way", look at all of our recent hiring in the AD and the name dropping going on in President Herbst's speaking engagements. It's all B1G. UConn is clearly spending at a time when spending is not politically correct. Either we have reason to believe we can get into the B1G or we are flushing a ton of money down the toilet as the state of CT nears bankruptcy.

Well done - things will not remain static. But 5 years into this CR fiasco, one tends to be cynical and skeptical. While it is too early to know what any of this means, I look at some positive possibilities. We'll see. In the meantime, I still think the ACC has long term unsolvable problems that will continue to haunt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom