ACC expansion | Page 10 | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

Reaction Score
The annual operating expenses and the infrastructure required to field a niche sport that has low visibility even regionally, let alone nationally, and will operate in the red forever seemed irresponsible and a luxury item for a school that was in the AAC for other sports at the time. Even more so today as were still in the G5 abyss.
We support big teams. I don't know how a school like Oklahoma ST gets around the Title IX requirements. And we lost three sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The annual operating expenses and the infrastructure required to field a niche sport that has low visibility even regionally, let alone nationally, and will operate in the red forever seemed irresponsible and a luxury item for a school that was in the AAC for other sports at the time. Even more so today as were still in the G5 abyss.
Got it. That same argument would support cutting every men's sport except for basketball and football and only maintaining sufficient women's sports to meet our Title XI obligation. We may get to the point where that is what we are facing, but we aren't there yet.

For what it's worth, UConn hockey draws pretty well, probably with attendance in excess of many men's basketball programs. Both it, and if I recall correctly, women's hockey were both ranked last year. Having a diverse and successful athletic department which sponsors a number of sports makes us more attractive as a Px addition. If we aspire to that, still, then maintaining a diversity of sports sponsored is probably in our best interest.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
idk CL, I was up for a baseball game when they were in the process of installing the last of the exterior tiles. The stuff looked pretty good to me but truly cant say what they were made of... Ill ask next time I'm there. Definitely bucks went for the players benefit but the lack of simple bench seating in those areas alone just galls.
Yeah I hear you. Those metal panels in the front quarter of the arena took forever to install. I have no idea how pricey they were or not. Fully agree that the facility is smaller than optimal for us. I think they are going with the "Gampel Arena" plan of intentionally building the facility under size to meet budgets with the expectation that demand will give them enough room to expand in a few years. That's an in efficient way to do business, but it seems to be modus operandi for us.

Reaction Score
What sports do you consider non-niche?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I

Im with you man. I can appreciate people on this board wanting to be optimistic but UConn athletics has been one of the biggest financial failure in all of college sports. I’m not talking about our performance on the field/court but just in terms of how much we’ve invested vs gotten in return. No matter what anyone on this board says, you cannot continue to support a nationally-relevant athletics program on $7M a year for the long term. Just doesn’t happen. Something has to give and I fear that we’re only years away from the football program shutting down.

People can call me a doomer or whatever but this has been the worst 3 month period possible for our athletics program. There’s literally not a single thing that could have gone worse for us.

I would argue that UConn has gotten so much more out of their investment than most schools.

Reaction Score
I would argue that UConn has gotten so much more out of their investment than most schools.
Many strong programs over the years. Many good programs for a variety of athletic preferences.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Got it. That same argument would support cutting every men's sport except for basketball and football and only maintaining sufficient women's sports to meet our Title XI obligation. We may get to the point where that is what we are facing, but we aren't there yet.

For what it's worth, UConn hockey draws pretty well, probably with attendance in excess of many men's basketball programs. Both it, and if I recall correctly, women's hockey were both ranked last year. Having a diverse and successful athletic department which sponsors a number of sports makes us more attractive as a Px addition. If we aspire to that, still, then maintaining a diversity of sports sponsored is probably in our best interest.

To your first point, fine by me. The school should have been investing money into football at the expense of all non-revenue sports for years. Adding ice hockey to a higher division is just another mouth to feed with no discernable ROI.

You can't possibly believe that about a well rounded AD? We have one of the most well rounded ADs in America for decades. It's all about winning football, football brand, and football commitment. I mean ffs do half the leagues even offer hockey, soccer, or field hockey?

What sports do you consider non-niche?

Men's basketball, football, and while it's absolutely not for me, women's basketball.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To watch a scumbag ACC team?
It will depend on the story line. True, the vast majority of games would not warrant the trip, it would have to be somewhat compelling.

I'm more interested in the experience as a consumer.

Preferred game would be something like BC vs Syracuse on a Thursday night, both 0-7 looking for their first win. I'll buy a ticket for a legit movie and then slip in to the disaster fest.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
F-No. I would do nothing extra that puts a dime in the pockets of anyone associated with ESPN or thr ACC. Next idea.
Understandable.

Reaction Score
damn it sounds like espn actually wants to save the acc as opposed to the PAC...sucks.

Reaction Score
Football on an IMax screen ?

Maybe....But I don't see the theatre appeal...now, sometimes we watch at our local sports bar to schmooz with other fans.

Reaction Score
I don't think I'd waste money going to a movie theater to watch Wake Forest @ Syracuse.

Reaction Score

Maybe....But I don't see the theatre appeal...now, sometimes we watch at our local sports bar to schmooz with other fans.
yeah why would i pay to watch a game in a theater when i'm already paying for it through comcast or whatever streaming service i have...

we all knew espn was stuck in the 90s with their linear tv model thinking but this sets them back to the freaking 1920s. lets go see the talking pictures everyone lmao.

Reaction Score
Might go over here in the mountains...internet notoriously spotty...no cable in many areas....long waiting times for starlink and the terrain often occludes the north azimuth of the starlink satellite.

Reaction Score
I can't sit in a theater for 90 minutes nevermind 3 plus hours. To watch a 60 minute game! What a stupid concept. espn is in the take all the joy out of sports business.

Reaction Score

Many movie theatres have alcohol, food, and great seats. The picture quality would be awesome. That said, I would prefer to go to a bar over a movie theatre.

Reaction Score
LOL at spending $ to watch a football game in a theatre.

I've got a 60" UHD Samsung with either Dolby Atmos Surround Sound or 7.1 Surround. Speakers are Polk Audio - Denon AVR. I even have a ZVox sound bar manning the center speaker for added voice buffs. Maaaybe the theatre can sound louder, but there's no freakin way it'll sound better.

I get the thrill of attending an event in person, and call what I just described of my home theater a 'humble brag' if you like (no seriously, it kicks ass), but LOL at the thought of spending $ to watch a football game (really, any sporting event) in a movie theater.

Reaction Score
Do people not know that if you want to watch a game with other people, you are allowed to invite them to your house or apartment? Or, post-Covid, is there a generation where they just don't know any people any more?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because SMU is paying for the additions of Cal and Stanford by forgoing any media rights payouts for 7 years. The SMU boosters are paying to run the athletic department at SMU for the next 7 years.

If UConn would forgo any media rights payouts for 7 years and rely on the UConn boosters to fund the athletic department during that time, I'm sure the ACC would be interested.

These additions will cost the ACC money once all three are full members after the 7 year buy-in period. That's why adding these teams shows the ACC knows it will inevitably lose teams down the road.
SMU is going to be making more for the next 7 years than they do in the AAC, even when they take zero media dollars. They will still get NCAA and CFP payouts, and other payouts which equal more than the AAC total with media. They will actually make even more because the games will have higher attendance and being in a better conference increases revenue in itself. They need less donors in the ACC even when they get zero media money than they do in the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom