ACC approves Grant of Rights | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ACC approves Grant of Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You mean other than the statement of a witness with first hand knowledge? To sum up, BCU's AD admits that:
1) UConn was the primary ACC target along with Cuse until BCU blocked them because they were worried about competing with them on a level playing field; and
2) That ESPN instructed the ACC which teams to acquire.
3) These facts have been reported publically. I linked to the article.

You have presented no evidence to the contrary.

In the end, we have ESPN, who had taken Connecticut taxpayer funds while putting a plan in motion to destroy the Big East, costing Connecticut taxpayers millions of dollars of lost revenue. Now ESPN is renegotiating the ACC contact yet again. All they have to do is offer enough cash to increase the per team payout to the ACC if UConn gets a slot in the ACC and UConn sports are saved. Keep in mind they have done this for other teams and the money is miniscule when compared to their total annual earnings and keep in mind they've "told (the ACC)what to do" in the past. Today, ESPN can save UConn athletics. If they don't, everyone in this state should hold them accountable.
The minute the state stops giving them breaks they will pack their bags and leave quicker than randy edsall can day dream job

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have some friends who work for ESPN and the general impression I've gotten from them is that while ESPN has had influence, they don't control conference realignment. Like most decisions between powerful entities, there are a few different vying interests all competing with each other. For instance, I don't know that ESPN is really in a position to tell the B1G or SEC what to do or who to take.

Everyone who works for ESPN seems to proclaim that ESPN is perfectly innocent in all this.

But every time someone took a team from the Big East, ESPN wrote that conference a bigger check.

Actions > Words

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
but my personal hunch is that whatever weight those grudges have would have been outweighed* if we had simply demonstrated our superiority to Louisville in FB and as an overall product.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Just for the sake of argument, how would you propose the state "hold accountable" a large company that provides lots of high paying jobs and gives the central part of the state an economic engine. Do you know what % of traffic thru Bradley is ESPN related? I have seen estimates of 18-20%.

But you don't understand, CL82 IS REALLY REALLY ANGRY

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just for the sake of argument, how would you propose the state "hold accountable" a large company that provides lots of high paying jobs and gives the central part of the state an economic engine. Do you know what % of traffic thru Bradley is ESPN related? I have seen estimates of 18-20%.

Lol - that's deranged.

In a given year, about 5.5 million passengers come through Bradley airport.

You think 1,000,000 of them are heading for ESPN?!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know anyone involved in the state government that is a fan of Malloy's gift baskets for his pet corporations. I am pretty sure the State of Connecticut could find a company to give $100 million to that wouldn't try to destroy the state university.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that ESPN is culpable only insomuch as they underwrote the expansion of the ACC to 14. It also seems likely that they anticipated that expansion to be Syracuse and UConn. They had little practical say in who the conference took.

Logically, though, if ESPN refused to up the money to the ACC, the BE is still together and UConn is fine. Since they did up the money, they are responsible on some level--even if that level is merely incidental and not malicious.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
There was a visionary poster who proposed shutting the football program down 2 months ago. Doesn't seem like such a bad idea now.

This news certainly helps explain the morbid atmosphere and corner cutting at the spring game.

A stretch as conspiracy theories go. Though, coach Dracula and asst. Renfield are complicit in our downfall.....

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Give up ZLS. CL82 owns you in this argument. If BC didn't exist Uconn would be in the ACC. Period.

We don't know this either. We know UConn wasn't under consideration in 2003. Louisville was looking pretty good when they were added. That leaves the SU/Pitt add with SU having been an earlier target in the 1997-2003 period.

Without knowing the votes on Pitt vs UConn outside of BCU we don't lnow that BCU was the deciding vote. There's no evidence the ACC took less money to add Pitt.

FSU was cranky over the whole agenda at that point as 2/3 of the renegotiated contract was in the form of backend extension and additonal media rights. It was more like Swofford fishing for an opportunity to reopen the contract to save some face. In hindsight it was a brilliant move.

Did adding Pitt and SU force the BiG to respond by taking Maryland? No one knows.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm still surprised FSU and Clemson decided they wanted to be stuck in such a mediocre football league. This either means that:

A) No other conference really came calling like everyone claimed they did
B) They really know that a GoR holds no water and is just a happy thing that has yet to be challenged and broken down. It makes everyone scared but so did the $5 million exit fee and 27 month waiting period that the Big East had at the time....how did that work out?
C) They truly believe that the ACC would provide them the best access to a major bowl since they'd be whooped in the SEC or Big 12 if they went/were invited.

Maybe it's my wishful hope that UConn has an out....SOMEWHERE, but I just can't see why FSU or Clemson would agree to this. It hasn't been announced yet that ESPN is upping the contract money? Right?

Reaction Score
The minute the state stops giving them breaks they will pack their bags and leave quicker than randy edsall can day dream job

And leave how much behind in buildings and tech? Conn. should stop giving the breaks not to help UConn, but for its overall budget health. Remember, the TV people like being near NYC. This is why NBCS just moved to Stamford. Despite Conn's taxes.

Reaction Score
I'm still surprised FSU and Clemson decided they wanted to be stuck in such a mediocre football league. This either means that:

A) No other conference really came calling like everyone claimed they did
B) They really know that a GoR holds no water and is just a happy thing that has yet to be challenged and broken down. It makes everyone scared but so did the $5 million exit fee and 27 month waiting period that the Big East had at the time....how did that work out?
C) They truly believe that the ACC would provide them the best access to a major bowl since they'd be whooped in the SEC or Big 12 if they went/were invited.

Maybe it's my wishful hope that UConn has an out....SOMEWHERE, but I just can't see why FSU or Clemson would agree to this. It hasn't been announced yet that ESPN is upping the contract money? Right?
If they go undefeated, they're in the playoffs. Clemson, Florida State, and Virginia Tech are the only good teams in the league. Sometimes they'll play ND. Win your games against the Wake Forests, Dukes, Virginias, BCs, etc., and win the couple of tough games, and you're good to go. It makes a lot of sense, I think.

Don't forget, FSU went like a whole decade in the conference undefeated. The league sucked, but they used that to win titles. It's much harder to do in the other conferences.

Also, if Notre Dame were to ever join a conference, it seems clear to me that they would pick the ACC for almost this exact same reason. Why play Iowa or Wisconsin, who are solid, good teams that play tough defense that makes ugly games, when you could play east coast teams you could run up the score on like Pitt or BCU?

Reaction Score
Since it would be too hard to burn every ACC school to the ground - and since HfD is probably on house arrest and can't leave the state - I vote that we settle on torching the ESPN studio in Bristol.

Who's with me?

Reaction Score
Lol - that's deranged.

In a given year, about 5.5 million passengers come through Bradley airport.

You think 1,000,000 of them are heading for ESPN?!

I also found that weird when I read it a few of years ago. It was in a bond issue prospectus for some state transportation funding. I don't remember what the total traffic number was at the time but if you are right about the 5.5, at the 18% it implies about 1400 per day in and out.

Reaction Score
Who says that a GOR is going to be enforceable anyway? The ACC is trying to win a public relations battle. The GOR makes everybody feel good until it's challenged, like anything else. Don't see how this changes much of anything.

There are other conferences relying on the GoR to keep them stable as well. The Big 12 was officially a conference ready to dissolve before their members signed a GoR. So not only do schools have to fear a financial loss in the hundreds of millions by trying to leave a conference and challenge a GoR... but several conferences have to worry about much worse realignment chaos if even one GoR is successfully challenged. The odds seem to favor no one challenging it.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
There are other conferences relying on the GoR to keep them stable as well. The Big 12 was officially a conference ready to dissolve before their members signed a GoR. So not only do schools have to fear a financial loss in the hundreds of millions by trying to leave a conference and challenge a GoR... but several conferences have to worry about much worse realignment chaos if even one GoR is successfully challenged. The odds seem to favor no one challenging it.

No one is leaving the B1G. The Pac10 is geographically isolated. I don't know that the B1G/SEC have been sniffing around the B12 since A&M and Missouri left.

This may be a deadline for the B1G. If the SEC/B1G make no offers, then we will see stories about ACC solidarity & everyone wanted to stay all along.

Or we will start hearing stories of FSU & Clemson being strongarmed.

Reaction Score
Keep the source in mind, but this might be a silver lining.

@ 6m
Fwiw I'm hearing ACC GOR will not be legally binding until next fiscal year. Delaney will poach before then.

LOL at you quoting that WVU fraud insider even now, after all his insider info has been proven to be BS.

The ACC GoR was signed today and goes into effect immediately, per the ACC press release.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU attendance in 2011:
No. 15 Clemson (547,635)
No. 16 Florida State (544,893)

It's tough to make an argument that TCU and Baylor and Iowa State and Kansas willl improve attendance for them or improve ratings for them. Then there's the general distrust (hatred) for Texas. Both have a better chance for National Prestige and local recruiting coverage right where they are. Then there's the reality of the conference dollars which will come out in public filings over the next few years.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
No one is leaving the B1G. The Pac10 is geographically isolated. I don't know that the B1G/SEC have been sniffing around the B12 since A&M and Missouri left.

This may be a deadline for the B1G. If the SEC/B1G make no offers, then we will see stories about ACC solidarity & everyone wanted to stay all along.

Or we will start hearing stories of FSU & Clemson being strongarmed.
Start hearing? It's already begun http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/54697/you-want-stability-look-at-the-acc

The ACC is the model of stability! Lol

Reaction Score
Last fall the ACC announced that their increase in departure fees (to triple one year's revenues) was unanimous. It appears that the ACC has a different definition of unanimous than the rest of the world.

Wrong. Last year the ACC announced that they voted on a new exit fee and that the vote passed. It was well known that FSU and Maryland voted against it.

Today they announced all 15 current and future schools voted for the GoR, and all current and future schools signed the GoR. They listed the schools and they said the GoR goes into effect immediately.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I also found that weird when I read it a few of years ago. It was in a bond issue prospectus for some state transportation funding. I don't remember what the total traffic number was at the time but if you are right about the 5.5, at the 18% it implies about 1400 per day in and out.

I am willing to float the rumor that ESPN is flying in one million hookers and child laborers every year.

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson were not strong armed. They simply never had anywhere else to go. Perhaps there was one sliver of time where BIG 12 could have invited 4 or 5 ACC members but it never happened.

In reality the only school who might be reluctant to sign is GT. UNC obviously has many choices, but staying in a stable ACC has been pretty damn good to them over the years. UVA would only leave under duress. So Swafford has (once again) saved his conference. I don't think Swafford is a genious, but I do think the recent former BE commissioners were idiots. The BE fb members should have split years ago and signed blood oaths. That group (Cuse, UConn, RU, Pitt, WVU, UL, Cincy, and USF) should have added Temple and UCF together with a fb only Navy and Army. But maybe its only Uconn fans (Cincy to a smaller degree) who are screwed.

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson were not strong armed. They simply never had anywhere else to go. Perhaps there was one sliver of time where BIG 12 could have invited 4 or 5 ACC members but it never happened.

In reality the only school who might be reluctant to sign is GT. UNC obviously has many choices, but staying in a stable ACC has been pretty damn good to them over the years. UVA would only leave under duress. So Swafford has (once again) saved his conference. I don't think Swafford is a genious, but I do think the recent former BE commissioners were idiots. The BE fb members should have split years ago and signed blood oaths. That group (Cuse, UConn, RU, Pitt, WVU, UL, Cincy, and USF) should have added Temple and UCF together with a fb only Navy and Army. But maybe its only Uconn fans (Cincy to a smaller degree) who are screwed.

Your last sentence may be the truest and saddest fact about CR.

Reaction Score
I am willing to float the rumor that ESPN is flying in one million hookers and child laborers every year.

Don't assume everyone passing through the Bradley turnstiles are human. Or alive. Espn execs trading in dead horse, sex slaves? I guess we will never know.

Reaction Score
Wrong. Last year the ACC announced that they voted on a new exit fee and that the vote passed. It was well known that FSU and Maryland voted against it.

Today they announced all 15 current and future schools voted for the GoR, and all current and future schools signed the GoR. They listed the schools and they said the GoR goes into effect immediately.
Who are you and why the hell are you posting on the Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom