ACC agrees to grant of rights deal | The Boneyard

ACC agrees to grant of rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Perhaps someone could explain why an agreement of current members to turn over their media rights to the league means that other schools aren't likely to join the league. I can see that this agreement cements the current league members in place pretty securely, but I don't see how it precludes new members from joining. Couldn't a new member also agree to turn over its rights?

Reaction Score
Perhaps someone could explain why an agreement of current members to turn over their media rights to the league means that other schools aren't likely to join the league. I can see that this agreement cements the current league members in place pretty securely, but I don't see how it precludes new members from joining. Couldn't a new member also agree to turn over its rights?
Sounds like the ACC wanted to maintain the number of schools in the league at around 15. Therefore, the only way UConn or Cinnci could join was if one of the existing 15 left. If all 15 are now cemented into place the only way a new school gets in is if the league agrees to expand. Don't know how likely or unlikely that is.

Reaction Score
. I can see that this agreement cements the current league members in place pretty securely.

It would put to rest speculation that Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, and UNC may leave for other conferences, thereby providing additional opportunities for new schools, i.e., UConn, to join beyond expansion.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think this is actually pretty interesting as the only ACC team looking in from the outside on this deal is I believe ND. It further segregates them from full membership and might open up a single spot in the not distant future once the ACC gets tired of ND's independence. 15 is a strange number of full members.

And I am still curious if the Big 10 might not be a better location for Uconn.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It fascinates me how the WBB board doesn't react to this. Probably because of what a superpower the program is.

But UConn is unequivocably screwed. They are never, ever, ever getting in the ACC. Ever, ever, ever.

Get used to Tulane.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
After next season, we can look forward to maybe two or three competitive games in the regular season and maybe two or three competitive games in the NCAAs. If you like blowout city, then get ready for fun times. This situation is looking worse and worse. I just hope they can continue to have a great OOC schedule.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think this is actually pretty interesting as the only ACC team looking in from the outside on this deal is I believe ND. It further segregates them from full membership and might open up a single spot in the not distant future once the ACC gets tired of ND's independence. 15 is a strange number of full members.

And I am still curious if the Big 10 might not be a better location for Uconn.

Nah.

First off, the ACC will never punt Notre Dame. Just the draw of being able to have ND on their football schedules every few years is enough to cement them in with ACC schools. But say they do kick ND out...they end up at 14 schools in all sports and have no need to expand.

The only hope is that some conference discovers that their network plans need bolstering in the NYC market.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Even though it makes no sense whatsoever geographically, I wonder if there is a Big XII play to be made. Seems like the Big XII made a tactical error in slow playing a number of ACC and Big East schools. At 10 members, the league's teams get to divide a healthy TV deal fewer ways, but they really have no regional interest outside of Texas. They dominate small media markets in Oklahoma and Kansas, are the secondary presence in Iowa, and have West Virginia, which is the flagship of a sparsely populated state and a tertiary presence in DC.

The point being that if they ever do decide they have to expand, Uconn could end up being a candidate out of mutual necessity. What other assets are there?

UConn WBB will be fine, but that's only guaranteed to be the case as long as Geno is around. After that, all bets are off.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Looks like it's whiny pants season again right after UConn wins the NC. So now the sky has fallen because the future is written in depressing gray stone and can't be changed. No more title hunts in the years ahead.

Take a time travel trip back to the first NC crown in 1995. UConn has its first title but it is dooooooooooomed because of its conference situation, which it will be miserably shackled to for the next 18 years in the horrible Big East. Only Seton Hall among the other nine teams in the conference was selected to the tourney in March, and no other Big East team than UConn was in the final rankings. This state of affairs will continue on and on and on, because there is no chance that teams like Villanova, Georgetown and Syracuse could ever become good enough to be ranked, there's no chance that new teams like Rutgers and Notre Dame could ever join the conference and become good, and UConn just can't have a good team unless it has a brutal 1995 SEC type schedule to battle ever year in conference. And who really wants to play UConn anyway? Maybe Tennessee sure, but no one else.

Whatever. Huskies have been there and done that. They've been, they've seen, they've conquered. But still, the sky is made of stone.

Reaction Score
Even though it makes no sense whatsoever geographically, I wonder if there is a Big XII play to be made. Seems like the Big XII made a tactical error in slow playing a number of ACC and Big East schools. At 10 members, the league's teams get to divide a healthy TV deal fewer ways, but they really have no regional interest outside of Texas. They dominate small media markets in Oklahoma and Kansas, are the secondary presence in Iowa, and have West Virginia, which is the flagship of a sparsely populated state and a tertiary presence in DC.

The point being that if they ever do decide they have to expand, Uconn could end up being a candidate out of mutual necessity. What other assets are there?

UConn WBB will be fine, but that's only guaranteed to be the case as long as Geno is around. After that, all bets are off.

B12 is crazy too. The deal Texas has with the media only flies because where would the other teams go. That conference is controlled at the top. If ND's maneuvering bothers you then watch out for Texas. When the first shoe dropped years ago with re-alignment the first trip the ND AD made was to Texas. Since then Texas got a sweet tv deal like ND. ND has games scheduled with the B12 and the promise of a home if need be before the ACC. UConn as an athletic department would benefit financially, but it isn't without it's own worries. I think B12 fans have their past and current concerns with how Texas rules the roost. Probably going to be that way everywhere.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Looks like it's whiny pants season again right after UConn wins the NC. So now the sky has fallen because the future is written in depressing gray stone and can't be changed. No more title hunts in the years ahead.

Take a time travel trip back to the first NC crown in 1995. UConn has its first title but it is dooooooooooomed because of its conference situation, which it will be miserably shackled to for the next 18 years in the horrible Big East. Only Seton Hall among the other nine teams in the conference was selected to the tourney in March, and no other Big East team than UConn was in the final rankings. This state of affairs will continue on and on and on, because there is no chance that teams like Villanova, Georgetown and Syracuse could ever become good enough to be ranked, there's no chance that new teams like Rutgers and Notre Dame could ever join the conference and become good, and UConn just can't have a good team unless it has a brutal 1995 SEC type schedule to battle ever year in conference. And who really wants to play UConn anyway? Maybe Tennessee sure, but no one else.

Whatever. Huskies have been there and done that. They've been, they've seen, they've conquered. But still, the sky is made of stone.
I don't see anyone saying Uconn WBB is doomed. I see a lot of concern about an incredibly boring conference schedule, what happens when Geno retires (at which point, the combination of a bad conference with a lesser coach manning the ship is definitely something to be concerned about), and the impact to men's BB and football (bad for men's basketball, disastrous for football).

From a WBB standpoint, playing in a lousy conference is bad for revenue as well. It impacts season tickets, single game ticket sales, and the national profile of the brand. How many Uconn games were picked up by ESPN or CBS? A decent number, and a lot of those games were Big East games. Competitively speaking, UConn is in good shape as long as Geno is at that helm, but there are other concerns.

At minimum, I hope fewer conference games are played after this upcoming season, thereby allowing Uconn to schedule more compelling OOC games.

Reaction Score
I am a bit confused by the change in the A.C.C. Does this also mean that the N.B.C. football contract money that N.D. receives is to be shared by the other members of the conference?

Reaction Score
It fascinates me how the WBB board doesn't react to this. Probably because of what a superpower the program is.

But UConn is unequivocably screwed. They are never, ever, ever getting in the ACC. Ever, ever, ever.

Get used to Tulane.

It is neither difficult nor distasteful to get used to Tulane as that university is very highly rated, much more so than most, if not nearly all, members of the ACC. The AAC will do just fine and may, in a few short years, receive a teevee package equal to or exceeding that of the ACC. I here predict this will happen. It is up to UCONN fans to realize ACC-lust or, if you prefer, envy, is misplaced.

The ACC is not better than the AAC. Current teevee contracts are not an adequate basis for conference comparison. UCONN is a better fit for the AAC than it is for the ACC.

One further prediction:

One or more former BE colleges that sold-out to the ACC will seek to join the AAC.

One shout-out:

Hey Louisville, there's still time to change your mind. You are better off in the AAC.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
After next season, we can look forward to maybe two or three competitive games in the regular season and maybe two or three competitive games in the NCAAs. If you like blowout city, then get ready for fun times. This situation is looking worse and worse. I just hope they can continue to have a great OOC schedule.
I beg to differ Chicken Little. For wcbb, our success will rub off onto the other women's programs in the AAC just like it did in the Big East as the other teams try to compete. Exposure to a top program works wonders. SJU, GU, SU, DeP, UL and even ND all benefited from exposure to our program - Jeff Walz used our program as his example for building a nationally competitive program.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't see anyone saying Uconn WBB is doomed.

Get used to Tulane.

No????

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I don't see anyone saying Uconn WBB is doomed. I see a lot of concern about an incredibly boring conference schedule, what happens when Geno retires (at which point, the combination of a bad conference with a lesser coach manning the ship is definitely something to be concerned about), and the impact to men's BB and football (bad for men's basketball, disastrous for football).

From a WBB standpoint, playing in a lousy conference is bad for revenue as well. It impacts season tickets, single game ticket sales, and the national profile of the brand. How many Uconn games were picked up by ESPN or CBS? A decent number, and a lot of those games were Big East games. Competitively speaking, UConn is in good shape as long as Geno is at that helm, but there are other concerns.

At minimum, I hope fewer conference games are played after this upcoming season, thereby allowing Uconn to schedule more compelling OOC games.
Just saying, those of us who were around back in the 1990s and early 2000s heard the same arguments you're beating that drum on, the "bad conference," not enough exposure, the weak schedule that hurts the team's preparation, especially when they have to start playing good teams in the tourney. The Huskies survived, maybe even prospered. And clearly in men's BB, teams like Butler and Gonzaga in weak conferences have no chance when they face a tough old BEast team like Pittsburgh or Georgetown in the tourney. They just didn't get enough grit in their diet to beat the power brokers. In women's basketball, the legendary titans of tough were always the SEC teams, but that didn't stop them from running up a 6-7 tourney record in 2009, while back in 2000 the weak-butt BEast was 13-3 after barely breaking a sweat in conference play. Impossible? Of course.

Yep, I'm sure that everything we're seeing now has been set in stone for next decade so, but UConn has seen that rock before and carved a number 8 on it. And yes, if Geno is really concerned that the schedule is too creampuffy, I'm sure he can find a few more tough-girl teams to face OOC so that the Huskies won't be babes in the woods as they tiptoe fearfully into tourney time.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I am a bit confused by the change in the A.C.C. Does this also mean that the N.B.C. football contract money that N.D. receives is to be shared by the other members of the conference?
I had the same question. Will they share or get yet another special deal?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Just saying, those of us who were around back in the 1990s and early 2000s heard the same arguments you're beating that drum on, the "bad conference," not enough exposure, the weak schedule that hurts the team's preparation, especially when they have to start playing good teams in the tourney. The Huskies survived, maybe even prospered. And clearly in men's BB, teams like Butler and Gonzaga in weak conferences have no chance when they face a tough old BEast team like Pittsburgh or Georgetown in the tourney. They just didn't get enough grit in their diet to beat the power brokers. In women's basketball, the legendary titans of tough were always the SEC teams, but that didn't stop them from running up a 6-7 tourney record in 2009, while back in 2000 the weak-butt BEast was 13-3 after barely breaking a sweat in conference play. Impossible? Of course.

Yep, I'm sure that everything we're seeing now has been set in stone for next decade so, but UConn has seen that rock before and carved a number 8 on it. And yes, if Geno is really concerned that the schedule is too creampuffy, I'm sure he can find a few more tough-girl teams to face OOC so that the Huskies won't be babes in the woods as they tiptoe fearfully into tourney time.
You're conflating two separate arguments. The argument that UConn isn't going to face tough enough competition and thus won't be sufficiently battle-tested by tournament time is generally something that doesn't concern me. In some years like the previous one, I think it helps when a lot is riding on younger players, but in general, UConn will continue to be a powerhouse as long as it has good coaching. The argument that paying customers aren't going to be interested in the long-term members of the AAC is what I'm worried about.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I had the same question. Will they share or get yet another special deal?
They will most definitely not be sharing. At least not at this juncture.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
WBB is almost completely unaffected by the move, sorry for not making that clearer in my original post.

Reaction Score
Article making its way around in mainstream media today analyzes the ACC grant of rights and describes various "winner" and "loser" colleges. UCONN gets a separate entry as both a winner and a loser. WV described as a resounding loser for jumping to the B12 where it absolutely does not belong. ACC weak sista, Wake Forest, described as a tag along winner.

And, oh, by the way, the AAC gets favorable consideration:

Link:

http://m.newsok.com/big-12-football-what-does-acc-grant-of-rights-mean/article/3796225/?page=1

Excerpt from pg 2:

"Winner: American Athletic Conference.The new league made of Big East and Conference USA refugees — Tulsa, UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, Houston, SMU, etc. — could have some years of stability, with the potential to grow into a solid conference."

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The problems I see for the AAC are several-fold. Primarily, I think for the most part, the football story is not overly compelling and is not going to command big TV bucks. If someone can tell me why I'm wrong, for the immediate future, please feel free. I will grant that some of those programs "may" have potential - I know USF and UCF have thrown a lot o money into facilities, for example - but will long term growth be sustainable? High travel expenses and a current exclusion from the National Championship process don't help.

Secondly, it isn't a prime basketball league on either side. And will building basketball - which is nowhere near football in importance - and women's basketball which is a blip on the side of men's basketball at most universities - be a priority? Or a practicality?

Actually, the slight saving grace on the women's side is that the schools above have all, at some point, fielded decent women's basketball teams. Not worthy of ranking, perhaps, but able to win their respective former conferences at one time or another. OTH, Houston, after the departure of Joe Curl, has been fairly dreadful (although I didn't follow this season, I admit).

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You're conflating two separate arguments. The argument that UConn isn't going to face tough enough competition and thus won't be sufficiently battle-tested by tournament time is generally something that doesn't concern me. In some years like the previous one, I think it helps when a lot is riding on younger players, but in general, UConn will continue to be a powerhouse as long as it has good coaching. The argument that paying customers aren't going to be interested in the long-term members of the AAC is what I'm worried about.
Fair enough, and on that we'll just have to see. There are a lot of different types of paying customers, such as game attendees who might be more interested in seeing UConn play Syracuse than Tulane, or the cable customers who are in a rapidly changing medium and are for the time being likely to be more influenced by the pull of football (and hopefully a new conference whose teams all adopt flashy USFL uniforms), and a variety of different premium subscribers, bowl game vacationers, and ardent souvenir collectors. The relationship between financial riches and championships is a bit of an inexact science however, and there is also a possibility that in the coming super-escalated college financial arms race that many schools will end up sitting on a bubble that goes pop. Bubbles often seem like nice suds until they run up against the pincushion of real value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom