ACC 2020 Schedule: 10+1? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC 2020 Schedule: 10+1?

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is not committing to a conference...Lucifer's skates are still in a hot dusty corner of his attic.
If. And what do you know of the future? ND is already half way commited in football and seem to prefer a full commitment this season.

C

Chief00

How are conferences going to get away with a +1 model..
Why should you be able to blow up your schedule and leave all the G5 and indys scrambling to fill. It’s one thing to say you are going all conference only to have control and flexibility over the circumstances. It’s another to selectively take advantage of the situation by +1. How do they justify it.
It’s not about health; it’s about money. But, while they are grabbing the money, they must lander to health. The P5’s have conference TV contracts.

Reaction Score
Very nice find. If Notre Dame becomes a full ACC member, we're #16.
Nope. Prohibited by BE agreement from moving to a P5 football league. Plus why would we want to play Duke, UNC Syracuse et al when we can have Creighton and DePaul? And MSG plus the knucklehead hoop fans would oppose it anyway.

Reaction Score
Nope. Prohibited by BE agreement from moving to a P5 football league.
Nah... it justs costs 'em: ($30M if UConn departs within the first 6yrs, $15M for yrs 7-9 and $10M yr10 and after). That prohibition was only in effect till we became actual members in July.

Reaction Score
If. And what do you know of the future? ND is already half way commited in football and seem to prefer a full commitment this season.

Can't tell about the future...but you can lay bets on it....This year is a one off in many ways....and the ACC will assist a partner...but Notre Dame as a permanent football member? I'd wager not in the next decade.

In 132 years of playing football, Notre Dame’s storied program has never competed in a conference and its fans cherish the Irish’s status as a football independent. They operate a national program with independence as the foundation of the brand.

Reaction Score
Nah... it justs costs 'em: ($30M if UConn departs within the first 6yrs, $15M for yrs 7-9 and $10M yr10 and after). That prohibition was only in effect till we became actual members in July.

If ACC offered P5 status and full membership don’t care what Big East prohibits or how broke we are... UConn would accept in a heart beat and take the financial loss for the long term gain.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At this point I confident that if they chose, UConn could fill a 12 game schedule solely as an emergency fill in replacement for the P5 squads that can't field a team because they are overrun with positive tests.

CFB isn't like the pros, where prevention is job 1. These schools are going mostly pay lip service to their bubbles and protocols and throw their students to the COVID TV meat grinder.

Reaction Score
CFB isn't like the pros, where prevention is job 1. These schools are going mostly pay lip service to their bubbles and protocols and throw their students to the COVID TV meat grinder.
I disagree. I think people are underestimating the impact of the Ivy League cancelling Fall sports and how that influences many college presidents. If anything went wrong with playing football due to COVID, people will point at the school's president and ask how could they have played football when the Ivy League was proactive and cancelled fall sports.

Here is the choice for a college president and the trustees. Take a financial hit by not playing football or risk having COVID causing a serious problem. If they play football and no COVID problems occur, they will still be skewered for putting college athletes at risk for the financial gain of the college. If COVID ends up being a serious problem, the president will probably lose their job unless they are at an SEC school. They really are in a no win situation.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I disagree. I think people are underestimating the impact of the Ivy League cancelling Fall sports and how that influences many college presidents. If anything went wrong with playing football due to COVID, people will point at the school's president and ask how could they have played football when the Ivy League was proactive and cancelled fall sports.

Here is the choice for a college president and the trustees. Take a financial hit by not playing football or risk having COVID causing a serious problem. If they play football and no COVID problems occur, they will still be skewered for putting college athletes at risk for the financial gain of the college. If COVID ends up being a serious problem, the president will probably lose their job unless they are at an SEC school. They really are in a no win situation.

I think several conferences will go forward with playing.

I also think at least one player will suffer serious consequences and possibly die from the 'rona. I don't buy in to the "if even one life is saved, it's worth shutting down narrative". Plenty of players have died from infections viruses and bacterias over the years. And not just from football.

I would like to see any information available about how universities have changed their insurance policies protecting them against lawsuits should players get sick or die.

Reaction Score
Just ask Clemson...they already have had 43 players/staff positive....but no hospitalizations reported..life goes on. If there is such a thing as herd immunity for covid, Clemson is working on it...

The truth is that the athlete will probably fare better than the student body re covid....Universities, if concerned, should just shut down except for on line courses.

Reaction Score
What is the liabilty for calling in staff and professors to teach and one of them dies? Or a on campus student?

Or cafeteria workers, or janitorial staff...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't tell about the future...but you can lay bets on it....This year is a one off in many ways....and the ACC will assist a partner...but Notre Dame as a permanent football member? I'd wager not in the next decade.

In 132 years of playing football, Notre Dame’s storied program has never competed in a conference and its fans cherish the Irish’s status as a football independent. They operate a national program with independence as the foundation of the brand.
Well, as said, they're partial members of the ACC in football, whether they'll say it outright or not.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
If Notre Dame gets to play for a conference championship, there might be a full membership for ND down the road. The ACC should add Liberty for school #16.
Why Liberty?

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score

In the spirit of "fairness" and "equality" P5 conferences should make ND play by the same rules as everyone else. They are not the end all and be all of college football, or any other sport.

Reaction Score
In the spirit of "fairness" and "equality" P5 conferences should make ND play by the same rules as everyone else. They are not the end all and be all of college football, or any other sport.

Most ACC fans would agree with that....and there is not much love for the Irish lofty ways. But Notre Dame is unique....huge tradition going back to Rockne, always an independent (and now only in football), a brand that draws interest wherever they play,.....and they do not need money...

Reaction Score
Why Liberty?
Was being sarcastic.

ND is willing to give up independence when p00p hits the fan but some dude here is saying that will never happen.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Got to wonder....what kind of week will AD David Benedict have? Time to actually start a rescheduling plan with some feeler phone calls or wait one more week?

Its probably time to start those feelers. The theater of absurd continues.

Reaction Score
How many movies are here about Clemson football?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom