Abro, Hanson '76 Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Abro, Hanson '76 Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't think he did. He was the 95th pick in the draft. Got a contract but went to play in Europe by what I can see. Basketball has changed for big men in the last 35 years. They don't pick 95 players and they expect a lot more ball handling/ shooting range from forward
Again, no disrespect meant to Abro. He was great for UCONN in the Yankee Conference
Abro was a better shooter than Facey, Brimah, Purvis, Calhoun, Lubin.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It's so hard to tell. Brimah looks like a stud against weaker teams, not so much against the best teams. I think it is hard to know how mid-major players from the 70s compare to" major" players in 2014.
But as far as the team goes, Calhoun took us a long, long way. I lived in FL in the early 80s. Basketball fans new nothing of UCONN. Thought I meant Yukon. After Calhoun, everyone knows who we are. We had a proud past in the Yankee Conference. But it was a smaller world we lived in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Since Abro actually played in the NBA I would say yes.

That wasn't Abro, that was Bruce Kuczenski. Started for 76ers and the crowd sang him "Happy Birthday". People always remember Abro, but the real player in that class was Jeff Carr. He was the guy who started as a freshman on the '76 Sweet Sixteen team. He also started on the '79 team that made it to the Big Dance. We could use his rebounding now.

Reaction Score
That wasn't Abro, that was Bruce Kuczenski. Started for 76ers and the crowd sang him "Happy Birthday". People always remember Abro, but the real player in that class was Jeff Carr. He was the guy who started as a freshman on the '76 Sweet Sixteen team. He also started on the '79 team that made it to the Big Dance. We could use his rebounding now.

He wasn't the "real player" he was a solid space eater who brawled down low. Jeff had a great year end run, especially on the boards as you say. Was John Thomas still on the '76 team I am lost on that one? Now that was the best rebounder since Toby the Huskies have had!

Reaction Score
He wasn't the "real player" he was a solid space eater who brawled down low. Jeff had a great year end run, especially on the boards as you say. Was John Thomas still on the '76 team I am lost on that one? Now that was the best rebounder since Toby the Huskies have had!
Bruce Kuczenski was a soft player and hardly a banger.I can't believe he actually played in the NBA but he did have a nice shooting touch.

Reaction Score

Jeff doesn't get his due historically, you are right about that. Also a great guy if you ever get the chance to meet him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom