About last night… | The Boneyard

About last night…

Reaction Score
Last night reminded me of the days when our opponents were terrified to play us. The days where we would beat the living hell out of inferior opponents before halftime.

I get it, it’s CCSU, but those guys looked petrified to be standing with Adama, Isaiah and Akok. I would imagine it’s what opposing teams felt like when they saw us in 2004, 2006, and 2012… to name a few.

Not only do we look cohesive, but we look big, well-conditioned, and confident. Sure, there might be weak spots that we encounter along the way, but I really think we’re in for a special season. I hate comparing teams to previous years, but I have a feeling this team will be one that we remember for a long time, and one that future teams are compared to.

Reaction Score
Last night looked like we were playing a high school team. Maybe a very good high school team. Sanogo is a beast but if he wanted to he could have scored 40. I don’t think we can take away too much from last night based on that opponent though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Last night looked like we were playing a high school team. Maybe a very good high school team. Sanogo is a beast but if he wanted to he could have scored 40. I don’t think we can take away too much from last night based on that opponent though.

I mentioned this in a different thread and I'll say the same thing in this one, albeit a bit differently.

the fact that there wasn't anything to take away from this game is something we can takeaway from this game. The team curb stomped and opponent who deserved to be curb stomped. Did it right out of the gate. No slow starts, no back and forth for 15 minutes. Straight out of the gate the players made it obvious CCSU did not belong on the court with UConn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ahhh….I can almost hear that gravel in a blender voice of the young Demi Moore, and smell the beer spilled in a Chicago bar.

But yes, I think a key factor to our team this year is intimidation. We threw a lineup with nobody under 6’5 out at one point, including several long guys with mad leaping skills. Guys will be rushing their shots all year, inside and outside.

Reaction Score
There were some very exciting things to see no doubt. I mean didn’t matter who you were playing there’s some great defensive play going on as well as some pretty nice offense especially on the interior.

Having said that it wasn’t a very good CCSU team at all and small. Huskies will need to tighten up a lot of things we saw versus good, bigger teams because they
won’t get away with all they did last evening.

But the depth is very exciting. Sanogo will be a beast and his footwork has improved dramatically but again, will need to back off on his aggressiveness on occasion to stay out of foul trouble. Tyrese finished better first half then showed some old habits later, but he’s tough no matter. Cole looked solid, Gaff looked better I thought on both ends. Whaley quietly really good, would like to see him get the ball more in scoring position the lefty baby hook was sweet. Andre a floater, couple actually he’s so talented but needs to be more sure of his handle, tighten things up but he’s better. Polley solid overall perfect bench guy. Need to see more of Sool and Sam both will need time. Richie is behind oodles of bigs I feel for this kid.

More games to analyze before Auburn and reality hits will be very interesting to say the least.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ahhh….I can almost hear that gravel in a blender voice of the young Demi Moore, and smell the beer spilled in a Chicago bar.

But yes, I think a key factor to our team this year is intimidation. We threw a lineup with nobody under 6’5 out at one point, including several long guys with mad leaping skills. Guys will be rushing their shots all year, inside and outside.
That was the cute A-cup Demi. And Jim Belushi's greatest role.

To your other point, IIRC the announcers said there was a lineup out there with no one under 6'7", while noting that only 4 NBA teams could do that (or something similar).

Reaction Score
no one under 6'7", while noting that only 4 NBA teams could do that (or something similar).
i think the tallest lineup we could realistically throw out would be:

AJ- 6'7
Martin- 6'6
Polley- 6'8
Akok- 6'9
Samson- 6'10

but i dont like martin at SG so it would hopefully be hawkins at 6'5 instead

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
i think the tallest lineup we could realistically throw out would be:

AJ- 6'7
Martin- 6'6
Polley- 6'8
Akok- 6'9
Samson- 6'10

but i dont like martin at SG so it would hopefully be hawkins at 6'5 instead
Id rather see Martin at SG before I see AJax at PG - that experiment lasted about 1 1/2 minutes last night
Hawkins can run the point
But if we are looking at the tallest - you are correct with your stated 5 guys

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That was the cute A-cup Demi. And Jim Belushi's greatest role.
I liked starting the season more than doubling up an opponent whose Head Coach's brother beat on Christian Laettner, and whose noted alumnus Head Coach arrived after a distinguished stint during pre-Final Four UConn's ascendency, which was about the same time as Demi Moore fit those two memorable descriptions.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
There were some very exciting things to see no doubt. I mean didn’t matter who you were playing there’s some great defensive play going on as well as some pretty nice offense especially on the interior.

Having said that it wasn’t a very good CCSU team at all and small. Huskies will need to tighten up a lot of things we saw versus good, bigger teams because they
won’t get away with all they did last evening.

But the depth is very exciting. Sanogo will be a beast and his footwork has improved dramatically but again, will need to back off on his aggressiveness on occasion to stay out of foul trouble. Tyrese finished better first half then showed some old habits later, but he’s tough no matter. Cole looked solid, Gaff looked better I thought on both ends. Whaley quietly really good, would like to see him get the ball more in scoring position the lefty baby hook was sweet. Andre a floater, couple actually he’s so talented but needs to be more sure of his handle, tighten things up but he’s better. Polley solid overall perfect bench guy. Need to see more of Sool and Sam both will need time. Richie is behind oodles of bigs I feel for this kid.

More games to analyze before Auburn and reality hits will be very interesting to say the least.
Of all the players, I think AJax is the one I would least like to play 1 on 1.

Reaction Score
I had a similar thought last night looking over the stats and highlights and today No Escalators had a good summary tweet of how insane our rankings were in a bunch of different categories. I had one of those moments where I put myself in the shoes of the Coppin St coaches and they had to watch that film. Just good lord.

We shot 61% from 2 AND from 3. And of those 40% we missed, we grabbed 50% of the offensive rebounds. So we either made a shot or got another shot on more than 80% of our attempts last night, and we made ~80% of our FTs.

And then we forced 29 turnovers and had 9 blocks. So we physically stole or altered their ball on 50% of our defensive possessions.

I don't know how you can watch that tape and believe for a second as a mid/low major that you can beat us.

Reaction Score

Lol Hypothetically we could run out a 5 of Akok, Whaley, Sanogo, Martin and Ajax. No one under 6`6 and all high level defenders. I believe Akok can shoot and drive well enough to play the wing in spots.

Reaction Score
Id rather see Martin at SG before I see AJax at PG - that experiment lasted about 1 1/2 minutes last night
Hawkins can run the point
But if we are looking at the tallest - you are correct with your stated 5 guys
i'm not putting any stock into AJs frosh year nor should you.

the fact is martin has no guard skills and AJ might already be the best passer on the team. Hurley said he's a PG in the nba eventually.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i'm not putting any stock into AJs frosh year nor should you.

the fact is martin has no guard skills and AJ might already be the best passer on the team. Hurley said he's a PG in the nba eventually.

Martin has guard skills. He can handle the ball just fine. I think he played some SG and will continue to do so. Jackson can be a PG. Needs to tighten the handle, but in a fast paced game he's fine. Against pressure I think he'd beat it with long passes, not dribbling.

Reaction Score
the fact that there wasn't anything to take away from this game is something we can takeaway from this game.

It was impressive how quiet the board was after the game. That's a rarity. Not a damn thing to complain about.

Reaction Score
Martin has guard skills. He can handle the ball just fine. I think he played some SG and will continue to do so.
no need for him to do that. he's most effective as a SF and it's a liability for him to take away minutes from AJ/Hawk at the 2 spot or even Cole/Gaff when theyre playing off ball. when martin isn't playing SF it should only be in limited mins as a stretch 4 if whaley/akok are in foul trouble.

we might be even deeper than last year but our wings in particular should have much more defined roles as the rotation settles.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom