About Diggins | The Boneyard

About Diggins

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
These games are pretty far away, so the mystery of how players do in the early games
leading up to Notre Dame is a factor. That said, what are your views as to who will be called upon to shut down Skylar?

Reaction Score
These games are pretty far away, so the mystery of how players do in the early games
leading up to Notre Dame is a factor. That said, what are your views as to who will be called upon to shut down Skylar?

BB

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Exactly who came to mind for me. She is in the Kalana Greene / Ashley Battle mold. She appears to have the quickness and athleticism to defend anyone who is not 6-2 or bigger.

The question is, how long will it take for her to develop the smarts and savvy to be a great defender in WCBB D1?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
It depends who is on the floor. If Faris is at the 4, it obviously won't be her even though she has been rather effective in several game against Skylar. I think Skylar hits another level this year. She took over, sometimes too much in the Final Four. She will be one of the Top 5 players in the country this year, and she's already one of the cutest ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think Geno will rotate defenders on Diggins. Keeping one person on her only tires out the defender and allows Diggins to adjust.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think Geno will rotate defenders on Diggins. Keeping one person on her only tires out the defender and allows Diggins to adjust.
+1

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Bruin and Nan. It depends on our lineup. To some degree, we can alter our lineup to control Skylar, but other factors will dictate the lineup too.

Some may defend her better than others. Foul trouble could be a factor as well. But I think Kelly, Tiffany, and Brianna are our best defenders. Rotating them and keeping them fresh is a good idea.

Brianna can make a name for herself if she can slow Skylar effectively.

How we defend her may determine who is the BE POY. I think Skylar is the pre-season leader, but if we keep her to 10 ppg on 30% shooting, a Husky may be able to grab the BE POY award. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In the F4 loss to ND last year, ND's 3 perimeter players (Diggins, Novosel and Mallory) scored 58 of ND's 72 points. Diggins led the way with 28 points while Novosel put up 22. All 3 perimeter players are back and McBride has returned as well. Muffett said the other day that Turner (didn't play too much last year) will likely be the team's best 3-point shooter. I don't know how Geno and his staff will try to defend Diggins and the others but I do know it won't be easy.

BTW, Muffett expressed some concern about replacing Becca Bruiser's physical presence in the lane. I do expect fewer bruises on other teams' post players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We defended Skylar solidly in the other games but the others hitting threes forced us to draw help D off of her and that made a huge difference.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In the F4 loss to ND last year, ND's 3 perimeter players (Diggins, Novosel and Mallory) scored 58 of ND's 72 points. Diggins led the way with 28 points while Novosel put up 22. All 3 perimeter players are back and McBride has returned as well. Muffett said the other day that Turner (didn't play too much last year) will likely be the team's best 3-point shooter. I don't know how Geno and his staff will try to defend Diggins and the others but I do know it won't be easy.

BTW, Muffett expressed some concern about replacing Becca Bruiser's physical presence in the lane. I do expect fewer bruises on other teams' post players.

Well, yes, those three did a great job in the third UConn-ND game but don't forget UConn won the first two matchups. In one, there were only 2 double figure scorers (Maya and Kelly) and UConn edged out ND on the road. However, in the second game, UConn blasted ND 78-57 with Maya not even the first, second or third leading scorer. Those would be Bria, Stef and Tiff, respectively. I actually think with Maya graduated, that others will feel the need to stop being spectators at times and will contribute more to the team effort, to positive results.

I really don't think what happened last year will have a lot of bearing on what will happen this season, though. The team will have an entirely new look post-Maya. ND will probably also change its strategy post-Bruiser, depending more on Diggins. And, yes, McBride returns for ND and Turner will have a bigger role but UConn gets Caroline back. I expect this year's games will look very different from last year's.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We defended Skylar solidly in the other games but the others hitting threes forced us to draw help D off of her and that made a huge difference.

Uconn did defend Skylar well in previous games but her numbers improved with each and every game she played against UConn. It appeared her confidence was growing and she was on the verge of a break-out game. Unfortunately, her break-out game happened at the wrong time for UConn. But your recollection of what happened in the game is not accurate; in fact, it was Diggins who was drawing extra defenders which left her teammates open. ND made only four 3-pointers in the game (2 by Diggins) and 2 were made in the 2nd half. Diggins attracted some double teams and either scored, was fouled or dished to her open teammates for baskets. And when Diggins wasn't getting in to the lane at will, Novosel was. UConn had no answer for Diggins but it wasn't because defenders were leaving her to guard others. UConn's foul trouble caused it to lose its aggressiveness and ND's big guards sensed that and just overpowered UConn's defenders.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bria was a step slow closing out on 3-point shooters last year. It was notable in the 2 losses. I expect her to be improved at that this year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
[quote="I really don't think what happened last year will have a lot of bearing on what will happen this season, though. The team will have an entirely new look post-Maya. ND will probably also change its strategy post-Bruiser, depending more on Diggins. And, yes, McBride returns for ND and Turner will have a bigger role but UConn gets Caroline back. I expect this year's games will look very different from last year's.[/quote]

UConn will certainly look different. Notre Dame's strength will continue to be its guards and we'll have to see what happens inside with Peters and Achonwa. I think ND will struggle to stop Dolson. We'll see what Uconn is able to do against ND's guards who should be playing with a ton of confidence. UConn will have more guards (with some size) to throw out there which should help. I'm hoping at least one of the ND-UConn games will be an instant classic.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What a great thread this is! Prescient comments by knowledgeable observers. Big reason to visit this site often.

Reaction Score
The games should look different one way or the other. ND's perimeter players did almost all their scoring on the inside. They had some good shooting games last year but they didn't rely on the 3. It'll depend on who is on the court for UConn. MM thinks this is her best 3pt shooting team ever. I'm inclined to believer her after I scoffed at her preseason statement last year that she thought ND was better after graduating 4 starters.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The games should look different one way or the other. ND's perimeter players did almost all their scoring on the inside. They had some good shooting games last year but they didn't rely on the 3. It'll depend on who is on the court for UConn. MM thinks this is her best 3pt shooting team ever. I'm inclined to believer her after I scoffed at her preseason statement last year that she thought ND was better after graduating 4 starters.

As you point out, ND was not a strong 3-point shooting team last year. Mallory was the team's best though I thought Diggins' perimeter shooting improved throughout the season. I heard Muffet say that about her team and I think Turner and McBride will certainly be threats.

I was very high on ND last year and often defended the Irish against fans of other teams who questioned how good they were because of the early loss to UCLA and a perceived lack of quality wins. In many ways I think ND is built for the NCAA tournament when teams with strong guards often have deep runs. I love big guards and ND has them in abundance, but UConn's guards will match up much better this year. Like I said earlier, the ND-UConn games this year should be among the best games in WCBB. Maybe they'll play 4 times again!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
As you point out, ND was not a strong 3-point shooting team last year. Mallory was the team's best though I thought Diggins' perimeter shooting improved throughout the season. I heard Muffet say that about her team and I think Turner and McBride will certainly be threats.

I was very high on ND last year and often defended the Irish against fans of other teams who questioned how good they were because of the early loss to UCLA and the lack of quality wins. In many ways I think ND is built for the NCAA tournament when teams with strong guards often have deep runs. I love big guards and ND has them in abundance, but UConn's guards will match up much better this year. Like I said earlier, the ND-UConn games this year should be among the best games in WCBB. Maybe they'll play 4 times again!
ND has consistently been a team that starts slowly, frequently with an inexplicable loss or three, and by the end of the season is a much stronger team. It has to have something to do with Muffet's coaching style, but I have not yet figured out what it is. Most likely it's that she figures out the best way for her team to play each year early on and coaches them in practices and games accordingly... and it frequently takes a while for the team to develop a consistency.

I'm pretty sure Geno understands why that's the case since he knows Muffet so well, with such a long history of playing them. I wonder if he would answer the question truthfully if he were asked?

Reaction Score
Well, yes, those three did a great job in the third UConn-ND game but don't forget UConn won the first two matchups. In one, there were only 2 double figure scorers (Maya and Kelly) and UConn edged out ND on the road. However, in the second game, UConn blasted ND 78-57 with Maya not even the first, second or third leading scorer. Those would be Bria, Stef and Tiff, respectively. I actually think with Maya graduated, that others will feel the need to stop being spectators at times and will contribute more to the team effort, to positive results.

I really don't think what happened last year will have a lot of bearing on what will happen this season, though. The team will have an entirely new look post-Maya. ND will probably also change its strategy post-Bruiser, depending more on Diggins. And, yes, McBride returns for ND and Turner will have a bigger role but UConn gets Caroline back. I expect this year's games will look very different from last year's.

UConn and Notre Dame actually met four times last year. I believe the Final Four game to which a number of posters are referrring in which the three ND perimeter players scored 58 of 72 points is the fourth game.

BTW: I still have not watched the second half of that game.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Also the ability Geno will have to change players around will make an enormous difference. I think that ND worked very hard at figuring out what to do (and they had more opportunities than any other team last year), and of course, the way they played was off the charts, and just won't happen again probably. It was one of those special nights for them. So it's great to draw on knowledge of last year, but there will be much playing and figuring before the first whistle. It's really a very different situation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn and Notre Dame actually met four times last year. I believe the Final Four game to which a number of posters are referrring in which the three ND perimeter players scored 58 of 72 points is the fourth game.

BTW: I still have not watched the second half of that game.
Recommendation: Don't.

Reaction Score
I have been a Diggins fan since high school and was only surprised that she didn't have a better frosh season. That said I don't know if the NCAA playoff game was a real measure of either ND vs Ucon. Because of thier their lack of depth, I for one was expecting Ucon to run out of gase sometime during the playoffs. From my perspective it seems like it finally happened against ND. Timing along with match ups play a major part in any champianship run. Too much parity last year to take a lack of depth team all the way. Geno was well aware of that. You could see by his demeaner that he knew the game was over long before it ended.

Reaction Score
This season we have more weapons on offense and defense that need to be accounted for, we as well have a bench that can score. These among other things changes how we will play and how opponents will play against us. As has been said repeatedly, it is very hard to beat a quality team four times in one season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom