2026 Recruiting: - Abdou Toure update 7/5/24 | The Boneyard

2026 Recruiting: Abdou Toure update 7/5/24

Reaction Score
Toure just scored 36 pts in this Fiba under 17 game against Australia. Looks like he is the 5th leading scorer in the tournament.

4 of the starting 5 have the same last names? All related or just like smith, jones, brown in usa?

Reaction Score
Competition level at that tournament is not good. USA just won the semifinals game by 80 and had 10 guys in double figures scoring.
That team is just far and away ahead of everyone, that same group was together for a previous youth tourney last year and they mopped the field as well.

Reaction Score
Toure just scored 36 pts in this Fiba under 17 game against Australia. Looks like he is the 5th leading scorer in the tournament.

The stepback fallaway as the shot clock was expiring at 5:26 left in the second period shows he can step right in and fill TN's spot in the roster!

Reaction Score
Dropped 50 points in a losing effort to China: score 105-101

Good grief he's talented.

What I like most is the variety of ways he's scoring even if the competition blows. The back cut into a spin move finish was tough. Saw 3s, mid-range, spins, euros. All these game speed reps are going to be great for him.

Reaction Score

SF Abdou Toure (Guinea)

6-5 | Notre Dame High (Connecticut) | August 2007
2024 World Cup Stats
: 7 games. 23.0 points. 3.6 rebounds. 2.0 assists. 1.1 blocks. 57.4% FG. 31.6% 3P. 70.8% FT.

When it came to players wired to score in this event, Abdou Toure had few peers. The 6-foot-5 wing had his eyes fixated on the basket from the opening tip, and he found a variety of ways to put the ball in the cup. Toure is a good athlete with excellent length and twitchy explosion. He is aggressive to his spots and had excellent body control, while maintaining his pace, to find a clean look.

The shooting touch, from three, was inconsistent for Toure. He is more comfortable shooting off the bounce, off the catch his release is a little slower with almost a two-part shot load. However, he was able to find spacing off two or three dribbles to knock down mid-range shots consistently. He displayed footwork and counters, which, a lot of the time, took his momentum away from the basket. While his skill set still needs tightening, he carries a natural feel for scoring the basketball. He had a tournament-high 50 points against China and led the event in scoring at 23.0 per game.

Reaction Score
Good grief he's talented.

What I like most is the variety of ways he's scoring even if the competition blows. The back cut into a spin move finish was tough. Saw 3s, mid-range, spins, euros. All these game speed reps are going to be great for him.
The scouting services need to update their rankings.

Reaction Score
I’m sure he will. Shooting is so important but some scouts need to relax a little about it. Talented kids that are hard workers improve on their outside shooting. Castle will be a fine shooter…so many nba players were athletic prospects without much of a jumpshot at one point. Jalen Brown is one of many examples. This kid will probably be a good shooter too

Reaction Score
I’m sure he will. Shooting is so important but some scouts need to relax a little about it. Talented kids that are hard workers improve on their outside shooting. Castle will be a fine shooter…so many nba players were athletic prospects without much of a jumpshot at one point. Jalen Brown is one of many examples. This kid will probably be a good shooter too

Totally accurate. Honestly I was laughing my butt off at all the scouting reports leading up to the draft ranking Reed Sheppard over Castle as an NBA prospect. Because of his 3 pt. shooting % last year? For a team that played all Offense, and no D??? Oh, yeah... and he didn't even start.

Don't get me wrong... I am strongly in the camp that Calipari is a very poor in-game coach and strategist. But if he thought Sheppard was good enough to start, he would have been starting by the end of the year. He wasn't.

Furthermore, Sheppard scored 14 points in their loss to Texas A&M in their SEC Tournament loss, and 3 points... 3!!!... in their first round loss to Oakland. Meanwhile, Steph was locking down the best guard on the other team throughout our 9-0 run through the post season including arguably the best 2-guard in college basketball this year, Terrence Shannon, Jr. in the Elite 8... and averaging 18 points and 5 rebounds on 50% shooting during the Final 4. That we won.

These two are not only not close as complete basketball players (Steph by a mile), but Castle's pro career ceiling is far beyond Sheppard's. Castle will be competing for a position on the NBA Western All-Star team within 3 to 4 years while Sheppard is still struggling to get out of the G-League. At best, he may be a 10 to 15 minute a game 7th to 9th man on a fair to middlin' team in the league. And even that is highly questionable if he can't play D against 2's and 3's in this league (definitely can't now, and highly questionable that he ever will be able to).

Reaction Score
And a better three-point shot.
He's got a decent three-point shot in warm-ups. Obviously, that's not the same as hitting contested three pointers in Big East games. But if he comes to UConn, he won't be taking contested threes. ;)

Reaction Score
Totally accurate. Honestly I was laughing my butt off at all the scouting reports leading up to the draft ranking Reed Sheppard over Castle as an NBA prospect. Because of his 3 pt. shooting % last year? For a team that played all Offense, and no D??? Oh, yeah... and he didn't even start.

Don't get me wrong... I am strongly in the camp that Calipari is a very poor in-game coach and strategist. But if he thought Sheppard was good enough to start, he would have been starting by the end of the year. He wasn't.

Furthermore, Sheppard scored 14 points in their loss to Texas A&M in their SEC Tournament loss, and 3 points... 3!!!... in their first round loss to Oakland. Meanwhile, Steph was locking down the best guard on the other team throughout our 9-0 run through the post season including arguably the best 2-guard in college basketball this year, Terrence Shannon, Jr. in the Elite 8... and averaging 18 points and 5 rebounds on 50% shooting during the Final 4. That we won.

These two are not only not close as complete basketball players (Steph by a mile), but Castle's pro career ceiling is far beyond Sheppard's. Castle will be competing for a position on the NBA Western All-Star team within 3 to 4 years while Sheppard is still struggling to get out of the G-League. At best, he may be a 10 to 15 minute a game 7th to 9th man on a fair to middlin' team in the league. And even that is highly questionable if he can't play D against 2's and 3's in this league (definitely can't now, and highly questionable that he ever will be able to).

I love Castle and thought he looked like he was playing at a level above the competition in his first summer league game but as regards Sheppard I think this post is going to age like milk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom