Aaron Torres tweet | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aaron Torres tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Gibson can’t go anywhere. No legitimate program would take him until he shows he can stay healthy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I find it very interesting that certain folks stated that if UConn has any more crappy years they will sink into oblivion, they have to win right away and bring in a coach who can do so.
Now it's OK to be crappy for the next few years as long as it's not KO that's leading the stink bomb
So to encapsulate - it's no KO and that's going to make everything OK

I don't care if KO stays or KO goes but I honestly think that UConn will not be able to recruit a coach of any stature into this league. Unless UConn is P5 or at the worst, in the NBE, it might as well be the MAC, A10 or the Mountain West.
JC was perhaps the greatest coach but he had the best league, bar none, to recruit to. All the best players, who wanted to leave the home state/region wanted the BE first then the ACC (for the most part). The new coach or KO doesn't have this luxury.

We’ve got one vote for disband the program. Any others?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
He wrote a book after the Kemba championship. He posted here promoting the book. He tweets now.

I believe he also writes college bball/football for Fox Sports now.

Reaction Score
No matter what, next year we are going to have to win by playing better defense, being able to make shots, and playing smarter. Our talent level isn't going to be elite in 2019.

Reaction Score
I find it very interesting that certain folks stated that if UConn has any more crappy years they will sink into oblivion, they have to win right away and bring in a coach who can do so.
Now it's OK to be crappy for the next few years as long as it's not KO that's leading the stink bomb
So to encapsulate - it's no KO and that's going to make everything OK

I don't care if KO stays or KO goes but I honestly think that UConn will not be able to recruit a coach of any stature into this league. Unless UConn is P5 or at the worst, in the NBE, it might as well be the MAC, A10 or the Mountain West.
JC was perhaps the greatest coach but he had the best league, bar none, to recruit to. All the best players, who wanted to leave the home state/region wanted the BE first then the ACC (for the most part). The new coach or KO doesn't have this luxury.
Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, UCF have all gotten new coaches in the past few years and all have improved dramatically ..... so much for your “it can’t be done cause we’re in the AAC nonsense” And stop lying.... You DEFINITELY CARE WHETHER KO GETS FIRED.

Reaction Score
Gibson can’t go anywhere. No legitimate program would take him until he shows he can stay healthy.
I don't understand how people consider themselves fans and then call people Boatwright or Samuels or Gibson...

Gibson, really?

Reaction Score
Feeling this will not be a quick turn-around regardless of whoever the coach is....JC had the advantage of being in the original Big East when he began to develop the program; we don't have that now...the longer we go without be able to return to that level, the harder it will be....
You know it really took Calhoun 4 years to complete the turnaround. The NIT sort of skews people’s memory but that team was 4-8 or something in the Big East just 1 game better than the year before. And something like 15-14 regular season and an NIT bubble team. The next year, his 3rd they went back to the NIT though it was an improved team by a lot. Fun note though, first NIT champ in 7 years to miss the NCAA tourney the next year. It wasn’t until Year 4 that they became the UConn everyone remembers.

Reaction Score
Feeling this will not be a quick turn-around regardless of whoever the coach is....JC had the advantage of being in the original Big East when he began to develop the program; we don't have that now...the longer we go without be able to return to that level, the harder it will be....
This is basketball and unlike football it only takes a few good players to go along with what we have already to be competitive enough to make the tournament. Things may be bad right now but they are not as hopeless as they appear.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
You know it really took Calhoun 4 years to complete the turnaround. The NIT sort of skews people’s memory but that team was 4-8 or something in the Big East just 1 game better than the year before. And something like 15-14 regular season and an NIT bubble team. The next year, his 3rd they went back to the NIT though it was an improved team by a lot. Fun note though, first NIT champ in 7 years to miss the NCAA tourney the next year. It wasn’t until Year 4 that they became the UConn everyone remembers.
Calhoun only won 1 big east game his first year as head coach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whaley, Carlton, Alterique, Polley are leaving?

Really?

Where would they go?

Not sure what you even mean by this. Alterique would be wanted most anywhere. Would he sit out after sitting for two years? No way. He'd be 25 as a senior or something.

Carlton? Well he's better for us right now than Durham or Enoch were for us last year. So I think he'd have no trouble if he wanted to go. Of course he's an expected starter now and next year, so why would he?

Polley. No idea what he's thinking. He's finally getting some minutes and hitting shots. Could really see him being coached up.

Whaley, minutes are down after going up mid season. He has some nice athleticism and great timing on the shot block. Needs more strength and shot making ability. He's a nice project, which is what we expected.

Diarra: lost a year already, doubt he'd do it again
Adams: ? Not transferring, but could go pro
Vital: ?? Seems to have a nice role carved out.
Williams:? Don't see many options

Reaction Score
Not sure what you even mean by this. Alterique would be wanted most anywhere. Would he sit out after sitting for two years? No way. He'd be 25 as a senior or something.

Carlton? Well he's better for us right now than Durham or Enoch were for us last year. So I think he'd have no trouble if he wanted to go. Of course he's an expected starter now and next year, so why would he?

Polley. No idea what he's thinking. He's finally getting some minutes and hitting shots. Could really see him being coached up.

Whaley, minutes are down after going up mid season. He has some nice athleticism and great timing on the shot block. Needs more strength and shot making ability. He's a nice project, which is what we expected.

Vital, the self titled Sniper, does not shoot a good percentage from 3 but he jacks so many that he has to have a chance at becoming UConn's all time leader (at least in attempts) or at least close to it if he continues to play a lot of minutes the next 2 seasons? Am i right, stat guys?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, UCF have all gotten new coaches in the past few years and all have improved dramatically ..... so much for your “it can’t be done cause we’re in the AAC nonsense” And stop lying.... You DEFINITELY CARE WHETHER KO GETS FIRED.

As I said in another thread, Memphis (having just swept us by 20+ points each game), lost 8 players to graduation or transfer last year. Including their best player and his good but less good brother. Tubby brought in 5 JUCOS and a bunch of 3 star freshmen. Are they an NCAA tournament team? No. But they are a lot better than UConn is right now. And it's not talent, our talent is much better than theirs. It's just playing basketball as a team.

Reaction Score
Calhoun only won 1 big east game his first year as head coach.
I don’t think that is correct. I think they beat BC and Seton Hall twice. Maybe one was in some kind of tournament but I’m 99% certain they beat them twice. I know they did once.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
12:39 and your head's already in the drink?

Gimlet would have been closer to Gilbert. And it doesn't have one of those disgusting cocktail onions.

Reaction Score
Rationalize players staying anyway you want.. I disagree.. Take off the Blue colored glasses.. None of these guys signed up for a rebuilding basement team. And thats what the next few years are.

I pray they stay. But I am a realist.

Reaction Score
You have counted 2 walk ons in the 5. Isn't that a tad disingenuous?

Normally yes I would agree but given the number of blowouts this year you might have to include the walk ones and maybe even the water boy...

Reaction Score

Agree with most of this except Gilbert: who is going to want a guy who has t played in 2-3 (if he needs to sit a year) years and has been not just injury prone but recurring injury? Maybe as an insurance policy but heck, even UConn isn’t recruiting as if he is going to be the guy next year. There are too many guys who come along each year who are as good who are not injury risks and can play immediately and have played more than a handful of games.

Reaction Score
I know that some will disagree with me, but in my 38 years as a UConn fan including my time at UConn in the 80's, these last 2 seasons have been the darkest I can recall. I like many of the current players, but if there is a mass exodus I will understand it.

I hope that we can retain Carlton, Whaley and Williams and at least a couple of the incoming recruits. I suspect that Adams may leave as he is too good for some team to not take a chance on him in the second round.

These are interesting days to say the least.

This is the definition of disingenuous

You had Calhoun for 23 years ... who is on or near Mount Rushmore of creating a Program. And you’re whining about dark years. 359 of 365 Universities would trade.

We were not that good between 1971-1987 ... and I was watching. So, I know there’s not magic when the guys put on National Flag Blue. Given the beginning of this year and the profile of who was coming in ... then review - Say Memphis - who had more questions, I’d say you see the stark difference in how a experienced Program guy gets competitive now and what KO’s deficiencies are. I disagree with many here ... he’s got talent (See 2014). But we are looking at a real mess.

A solid coach can get us back fairly quick

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
12:39 and your head's already in the drink?

Gimlet would have been closer to Gilbert. And it doesn't have one of those disgusting cocktail onions.

Ha I was emailing a guy named Gibson earlier.

Reaction Score
Alumnus. We are alumni. He is an alumnus.
And, if Torres was a she, she'd be an alumna. If more than one alumna, then they'd be alumnae. Now, if he was an it, then would it be an alumnit? How about more than one it? Millenials, or others in the PC know?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agree with most of this except Gilbert: who is going to want a guy who has t played in 2-3 (if he needs to sit a year) years and has been not just injury prone but recurring injury? Maybe as an insurance policy but heck, even UConn isn’t recruiting as if he is going to be the guy next year. There are too many guys who come along each year who are as good who are not injury risks and can play immediately and have played more than a handful of games.

A McDonald's all american 5 star PG, who finally now had the surgery he needed before to fix his shoulder permanently? Almost anyone would give him a scholarship.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
A McDonald's all american 5 star PG, who finally now had the surgery he needed before to fix his shoulder permanently? Almost anyone would give him a scholarship.

Really? A doctor here told me he’d never play another minute.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Who has to sit another year and can’t show you that he’s healthy.

No legitimate program is doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin