Aaliyah & Lou NIL(?) | The Boneyard

Aaliyah & Lou NIL(?)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One of the twitter replies asks the same basic question about NIL and foreign players.

Reaction Score
Horse Kicking GIF by Okkult Motion Pictures
MUHL

Reaction Score
I’m not sure how this works? I thought foreign players couldn’t do NIL

I’ve bought from Breaking T. They’re legit

Legit as in a viable business, or school sponsored and managed income?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I can’t find the original tweet, but I read a while back that international athletes can earn money from apparel sales because it’s considered passive income, and that’s allowed under their student visas.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The issue appears to be the visa requirements. Foreign students need a specific type of visa to work in the U.S. and certain types of NIL deals are considered working. I don’t know about apparel, specifically.

It‘s also possible UConn helped the foreign students get the appropriate visa. Since someone at UConn retweeted the NIL deal, I assume it’s ok

But restrictions on student visas has meant that international college athletes have been mostly locked out.

There are a handful of visa options for foreign college athletes seeking to participate in the new NIL landscape. They can apply for EB-1 extraordinary ability green cards, an O-1 visa, or a P-1 visa, which is reserved for athletes at an internationally recognized level of performance

Reaction Score
The issue appears to be the visa requirements. Foreign students need a specific type of visa to work in the U.S. and certain types of NIL deals are considered working. I don’t know about apparel, specifically.

It‘s also possible UConn helped the foreign students get the appropriate visa. Since someone at UConn retweeted the NIL deal, I assume it’s ok

But restrictions on student visas has meant that international college athletes have been mostly locked out.

There are a handful of visa options for foreign college athletes seeking to participate in the new NIL landscape. They can apply for EB-1 extraordinary ability green cards, an O-1 visa, or a P-1 visa, which is reserved for athletes at an internationally recognized level of performance

"Extraordinary ability" sounds about right!

Reaction Score
If rules were different, allowing foreign players open access to cash in on NIL, I know of one kid from Croatia that is made to order to become a rich young woman. Her animated personality, appearance and quotable quips are made to order for marketability.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The issue of NIL and F1 student visas has to do with “passive income.” Foreign students maintaining F1 visas can not earn money from “work” while in the U.S., other than on-campus work-study jobs like working in the cafeteria. However, NCAA foreign athletes have already figured out a number of ways around this limitation.

To start with, foreign athletes are signing NIL type agreements while in their home country, then returning to the US where they can earn passive income on t-shirt sales, etc. In addition, some foreign athletes have actually shot promotional videos and photographs, while in their home country, to be used to promote products in the US.

Essentially, these foreign athletes are “working” in their own country and earning “passive income” in the US.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve had a few international students (in the trade this is the preferred term) who manage to get visas enabling them to work. One even became a nurse and went on to become an RN. It’s a Byzantine paperwork maze, I gather. We don’t actually know Lou’s visa status, do we?

Reaction Score
Why are we asking this and bringing it up? Do we want to help Tennessee make some new allegation against us? Luckily, this all appears ok, but why bring it up?????

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why are we asking this and bringing it up? Do we want to help Tennessee make some new allegation against us? Luckily, this all appears ok, but why bring it up?????
No need to be concerned. UConn is hardly the only team supporting NIL for foreign athletes. It is a practice that is ubiquitous amongst MBB teams like KY and elsewhere. There are also numerous examples in college football, particularly among kickers, college soccer, track & field and other sports where foreign born athletes are common.

As for TN, I believe that Marta Suarez from Spain had her own NIL deal before she left the LV’s to return to Spain for “personal reasons.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tennessee? LOL.

Besides:

Reaction Score
It’s a real business, I’ve bought from them
I understand that, but it is not school official gear that anyone at UConn or the university benefits from. It's like me or you selling UConn shirts. I would bet my house that not one penny goes to these players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I understand that, but it is not school official gear that anyone at UConn or the university benefits from. It's like me or you selling UConn shirts. I would bet my house that not one penny goes to these players.
It doesn’t have to be sold by the school to be NIL. Paige has a contract with Gatorade. That wasn’t allowed prior to the Supreme Court ruling that students should be allowed to profit from their name, image, and likeness without losing their amateur status

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Thanks @HuskyNan

Just ordered 5 different shirts for the family.

FYI...you can search for any player. The only one I couldn't find was Morgan Tuck but all others I searched for at the family's request was available.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Thought this might be an interesting listen for those of you who are interested on the inner-workings of NIL for international athletes!

Reaction Score
No one is helping Tennessee with allegations. Heck, Tennessee has their own NIL partnership with a t-shirt company themselves, not to mention an international student on their team. It's very likely that they've done their own investigation and have something in place for these situations.

It's a fair question to ask as international students haven't been able to benefit from NIL the same way that US students have to this point. Why shouldn't players like Aaliyah, Dorka, Lou and Nika be able to benefit in some way like their team mates?

Reaction Score
It doesn’t have to be sold by the school to be NIL. Paige has a contract with Gatorade. That wasn’t allowed prior to the Supreme Court ruling that students should be allowed to profit from their name, image, and likeness without losing their amateur status
I understand that. No player is getting NIL $$ from the sales of these shirts..trust me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom