Aaliyah Edwards: "I mean its UCONN!!!" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards: "I mean its UCONN!!!"

Reaction Score

[/QUOTE I didn't realize she was from Kingston .... years ago while I was training at Fort Drum, I had the opportunity to go through there and it is a beautiful smaller town .... at that time I think 50,000 but obviously that may have changed ... I think she's going to be a pretty special performer for the Huskies and I'm so happy she decided to play for Geno

Reaction Score
I just watched two games for Team Canada in the Fiba 2019 Ameri cup. Canada vs US and Canada vs the Dominican Republic on youtube. Against US with Collier, Samuelson, and Dolson etc. All pro players at this point. She played for 18 min and had 9 points. Against Domincan Repulic she had 8 points. She did not look out of place at all. She is a very tough man defender and also her help in defense is great in both games and she rebounds well. She hit some outside shots and went strong to the hoop. She is getting great advanced defense and offensive principals already. She will definitely be in the rotation next year. I think a future star. Google those two games and you will get a good look at her abilities.

Reaction Score
forgetting about her lofty basketball potential for a moment.............I don't remember reading what kind of deal she's worked out with Geno regarding her braids..............can she keep them as they are now, does she have to wear UConn colors or is she going to have to go without?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
forgetting about her lofty basketball potential for a moment.............I don't remember reading what kind of deal she's worked out with Geno regarding her braids..............can she keep them as they are now, does she have to wear UConn colors or is she going to have to go without?
I have mentioned before that whatever the decision is on the braids, it was agreed to before Aaliyah signed her NLI. Personally, I’m hoping Geno & CD have loosened up the rules because I sort of like the yellow braids.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

If ever UConn was going to relax their rules, it might be for someone wearing braids colored for Kobe Bryant.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I have mentioned before that whatever the decision is on the braids, it was agreed to before Aaliyah signed her NLI. Personally, I’m hoping Geno & CD have loosened up the rules because I sort of like the yellow braids.

I wonder if a similar conversation happened with CW and the cross tattoo on her neck, which she had before her NLI and doesn’t cover.

Reaction Score
I wonder if a similar conversation happened with CW and the cross tattoo on her neck, which she had before her NLI and doesn’t cover.

I think it;s barely noticeable compared with Gabby's tats that always had to be covered..............I wonder how many players UConn has lost in recruiting due to that kind of rule..................overall when it comes to tattoos WBB is way behind the men but slowly catching up................. unfortunately........

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think it;s barely noticeable compared with Gabby's tats that always had to be covered..............I wonder how many players UConn has lost in recruiting due to that kind of rule..................overall when it comes to tattoos WBB is way behind the men but slowly catching up................. unfortunately........

She also has the one on her forearm, but she keeps that one covered.

Part of me agrees with you — times are changing. The other part of me says that if you prioritize getting and showing off your tattoos for (three or) four years over learning from Geno, you’re probably not in the mindset from the get go.

Reaction Score
Has anyone on the coaching staff actually come out and said tattoos are frowned upon?

Reaction Score
Has anyone on the coaching staff actually come out and said tattoos are frowned upon?

I'm not sure...............it just seems to be an unwritten rule based on zero visible tattoos and strategically placed athletic tape

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If ever UConn was going to relax their rules, it might be for someone wearing braids colored for Kobe Bryant.
Even if Geno allows her to grandfather in these braids, folks, she's a kid. She'll tire of the hair bother soon enough and in no time it'll be something else.

Reaction Score
Did I hear right that she didn't make the U19 2020 team if they were to have played?

Reaction Score
Did I hear right that she didn't make the U19 2020 team if they were to have played?

It's my understanding that she didn't make the 2020 senior national team for their last pre-olympic tournament in Jan/or feb. I would be shocked if she didn't make a junior team. The U19 was last summer and I don't believe there is an U-19 team in 2020.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Watch the video. She says the yellow and purple braids are in honor of her deceased brother who was a huge Lakers fan.

Yes, that may have been the origin, but she's made clear that she's an enormous Laker/Kobe fan since. Perhaps she's given both as a response to why she wears them.

She is known by her signature hairstyle with her purple and yellow braids, which pays homage to the Lakers and more importantly her idol, Kobe Bryant.

Reaction Score
It's my understanding that she didn't make the 2020 senior national team for their last pre-olympic tournament in Jan/or feb. I would be shocked if she didn't make a junior team. The U19 was last summer and I don't believe there is an U-19 team in 2020.
They knew he was going to be playing for UConn at that time. She definitely good enough. Her intensity on defense was Aubrey like. She made 50% of her outside shots. Followed up shots for scores. Full court layups off of steals. On a screen play for her she was aware where the screener would slide to and hit her with a beautiful pass for an open mid range jumper. The games I watched were even before her senior year of HS. I am sure she has gotten better I am sure since then. She plays like a 3 who could play some 4.

Reaction Score
They knew he was going to be playing for UConn at that time. She definitely good enough. Her intensity on defense was Aubrey like. She made 50% of her outside shots. Followed up shots for scores. Full court layups off of steals. On a screen play for her she was aware where the screener would slide to and hit her with a beautiful pass for an open mid range jumper. The games I watched were even before her senior year of HS. I am sure she has gotten better I am sure since then. She plays like a 3 who could play some 4.

The only game I watched recently was her U-19 game vs the US and she looked a lot like Griffin did early in the season. Lost and bewildered. Granted that a lot of that was due to her team being over-matched but last summer Edwards wasn't ready for minutes at UConn. But a lot can happen in a year, especially for young developing players who put in the hours in the gym.
What is appealing most to me about her is her work ethic and her great physical tools.

Reaction Score
The only game I watched recently was her U-19 game vs the US and she looked a lot like Griffin did early in the season. Lost and bewildered. Granted that a lot of that was due to her team being over-matched but last summer Edwards wasn't ready for minutes at UConn. But a lot can happen in a year, especially for young developing players who put in the hours in the gym.
What is appealing most to me about her is her work ethic and her great physical tools.
I watched the U-19 game vs USA and looked like a totally different player. The U-19 game vs US Walz had the full court press on most of the game and Canada guards had a lot of trouble with it. Really no offensive flow for most of the game. Edwards did do some things like dribble into a crowd and didn't seem to have the same energy she did when she played with the national team. If I hadn't seen her play in the games that were only months apart I would have thought they weren't the same player. She seemed to play better in a more structured offense, which is a good sign for picking up UConn schemes. I stand by my observations that she will be a contributor to UConn next season.

Reaction Score
Shea has tattoos. Geno and CD prefer that no one stands out as different... part of the reason for no names on jerseys.

Reaction Score
I watched the U-19 game vs USA and looked like a totally different player. The U-19 game vs US Walz had the full court press on most of the game and Canada guards had a lot of trouble with it. Really no offensive flow for most of the game. Edwards did do some things like dribble into a crowd and didn't seem to have the same energy she did when she played with the national team. If I hadn't seen her play in the games that were only months apart I would have thought they weren't the same player. She seemed to play better in a more structured offense, which is a good sign for picking up UConn schemes. I stand by my observations that she will be a contributor to UConn next season.

It's easy to be impressed. She looks like a bigger Glory Johnson, athletic, but with an offense. The last player of similar size to make key contributions in her first year was Tuck, who seemed to grasp the system from the start. Edwards has a very high ceiling. When it clicks is the question.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You may have to hit refresh to get this IG post to show in its entirety:

Reaction Score
Well its UConn so she'll definitely play the 4 and some 5.... lol.

Reaction Score
I have a sneaking suspicion that this young lady is going to be a difference maker when she is out on the floor. It's one thing to have good height, it's quite something else to have physical agility and speed to go along with it. She is sort of coming in under the radar but has that not been the case for some other players who, without their skills, we would not have as many banners hanging over the rafters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom