Aaliyah Edwards article | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards article

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Florida fans take note:
Edwards’ teammates are currently in Storrs for offseason conditioning. The program runs through July 9. If Edwards makes the Olympic team, she likely won’t join them on campus before mid-August. Canada is expected to return to Tampa, Fla., to continue preparations for the Summer Games in Tokyo following the AmeriCup.

Maybe some practices are open?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice article. Some very complimentary quotes from the Canadian National Coach - really crystalizes the kind of teaching and development the staff does at UCONN...

She certainly played a great role at UConn, and you can see how she’s developed after a year being coached there,” Thomaidis said. “She’s just bigger, faster, stronger and just more refined. She’s very aggressive. She wants the ball.

“She’s a world class rebounder, and just continuing to round out her skills. That’s been great to watch her development, especially over the last 12 months how far she’s come
.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan...might you go to a practice?
It’s a good 2+ hours to Tampa from Orlando and the traffic is 1624031447536.png

Maybe if they scrimmage the U.S. but otherwise, no.

Reaction Score

Florida fans take note:
Edwards’ teammates are currently in Storrs for offseason conditioning. The program runs through July 9. If Edwards makes the Olympic team, she likely won’t join them on campus before mid-August. Canada is expected to return to Tampa, Fla., to continue preparations for the Summer Games in Tokyo following the AmeriCup.

Maybe some practices are open?
Doubt it. I'm assuming the COVID protocol requirements for the Olympics will be similar to FIBA's guidelines. The Canadian team is pretty much in a bubble for the next month or so.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Doubt it. I'm assuming the COVID protocol requirements for the Olympics will be similar to FIBA's guidelines. The Canadian team is pretty much in a bubble for the next month or so.
COVID protocols in Florida? No way. They were abolished a couple months ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe like 4 months ago, I had to Florida for work and I was lamenting to colleague there that travel and the quarantines were going to be a hassle. He said "Quarantines? CL, this is Florida. There are no quarantines. You can wear a mask if you want, but frankly no cares..."

Reaction Score
It’s a good 2+ hours to Tampa from Orlando and the traffic is View attachment 68071

Maybe if they scrimmage the U.S. but otherwise, no.
Nan is 100% right about the traffic between Tampa and Orlando. On the infamous I-4, the average speed is 80 mph (no exaggeration); and there is a huge volume of traffic - and that gets even worse if you're unlucky enough to mis-time your trip and go when everyone is coming or going to Disney. The trip is boring and the road itself is not well taken care of.

Unfortunately I have relatives on the Gulf side (they all followed me down here :eek:), so I have had to travel this route frequently.....

Oh, and the article about Aaliyah was good; thanks for posting it!

Reaction Score

“She’s a world class rebounder, and just continuing to round out her skills. That’s been great to watch her development, especially over the last 12 months how far she’s come
.”

As I was all year - I'm extremely, extremely, extremely impressed with Edwards. Her rebounding and physical toughness is perfect for what this team needs. She might be a bit too small for very big 6'7 players - and ofc an extremely good player like Boston might be some sort of big trouble (with some poor refereeing too)-- but other than that she's someone UCONN can count on to hold her own. For a soph and for what she brings- she is fantastic for this team.

Reaction Score
No I mean in reference to what the team has to follow to make sure they're in line with what's expected for International competition. State guidelines may not apply in this case, but I can't say for sure.

For example, the FIBA competitions expect teams to be in their own bubbles prior to leaving for competition and when at the competition. A friend was breaking it down for the upcoming U19 competition and it's stringent.

Also, Canada Basketball doesn't provide a lot of access to try outs as it is when they're conducted in Canada. They may host events to engage the community, but public viewing isn't typical.

Reaction Score
Great article. Thanks for posting.

What I really liked reading is that she is learning to play more on the perimeter and shooting from outside for Canada. She may not be able to spend a game guarding 6'5-6'7 players but they aren't going to push her around inside on a switch. And good luck to any big post having to chase her down the court on a change of possession.

I'm not one to compare but Edwards to me is Morgan Tuck only bigger, stronger, faster and healthier.

Reaction Score
I think you're confusing the qualifier held in February with the actual World Cup. No idea as to whether she'd be able to play in this competition. It would be the same for Amihere, Russell and Pellington. At the same time, players like Nurse, Carleton and Achonwa would likely be available so it may not be an issue.

And BTW....................GO BILLS!

Reaction Score
It's an obvious point, but playing against that level of competition will only make her better. There are not going to be many power forwards as strong as her this year. It sounds like she is working on improving her all around offensive game which is great. If she has to guard someone bigger than her that player will not be both as strong and as fast as her. Anxious to see her development. Very high ceiling for her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good question! That same thought crossed my mind too. Unlike the WNBA, college players don’t leave their college teams to play with their hometown national teams. I think (assume) that Aaliyah will stay with her UConn teammates, and let one of her countrymen sub in for her. That’s about the time Geno will be “fine-tuning” his team, getting them ready for year-end tournament play.

Reaction Score
Canada has refused to open its US border for tourism. There must be some kind of exemptions for athletes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Canada has refused to open its US border for tourism. There must be some kind of exemptions for athletes.
It’s per an agreement among the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s per an agreement among the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

It looks like the provision lapsed in November of last year unless there is a later update.

Reaction Score
It's not as black and white as you'd think. There are exemptions (attending school, parents taking their kids to school, etc.) but there are loopholes as well. In a way they haven't been closed when you see how the rules can apply.

Canadians have been able to travel into the US by air throughout the pandemic. For a while, you could return home and quarantine. Then the government implemented a policy where air travelers had to stay in a "quarantine hotel" at their expense and man.....did loopholes start to get used.

For example, you are not required to stay in the quarantine hotel when travelling by land. Canadians have been flying into the US only to come back by car. Several AAU teams from Canada have taken advantage of this loophole both in men's and women's basketball, along with various sports where kids are looking to get scholarships.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It looks like the provision lapsed in November of last year unless there is a later update.
Reviewed and updated month to montH. The second link in my post is a US Border Patrol article on the most recent extension

CL82

Reaction Score
Reviewed and updated month to montH. The second link in my post is a US Border Patrol article on the most recent extension
Interesting. You have to wonder when the policy will change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom