AAC vs. Big East in Basketball...Interesting | The Boneyard

AAC vs. Big East in Basketball...Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco isn’t ready to make any definitive statements yet. “We’ll have to wait and see how the conference realignment gets sorted out. There are always a lot of changing dynamics and nuances,”

Interesting, sounds like more realignment is anticipated.

Reaction Score
Imagine that game last night being on FS1 or NBCSN. Glad we still have coverage on ESPN.
The Big East never got any respect and the AAC gets a bad rap. The potential of this AAC is greater than the press publicizes. The AAC could have Louisville, UCONN, Cincy, SMU and Memphis in the NCAA tournament. If the AAC gets a better TV contract this conference could be a
decent place UCONN Memphis game had over 18,000 in attendance.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why is the potential of the AAC greater than the press publicizes? I think UConn and Memphis can be national powers, and Temple and Cincinnati will be good more often than not and SMU will be good as long as Larry Brown is there. The rest of the schools aren't trying.

The Big East looks like it may have only 3 teams make the dance because it is so deep. It is still the #3 RPI league, but the schools are beating the snot out of each other in league play. Georgetown is on the bubble right now.

More interesting is that the ACC, the greatest conference in the history of conferences, only has 5 teams in the Top 50.

Reaction Score
I'll bite.

I don't see anywhere in the article mentioning UConn getting a dollar amount from split.
Big East had around 110 million in the bank from bowls, exit fees, etc. Aresco made a deal with the Big East to keep 100 Million of it in exchange for the Big East name and Madison Square Garden for the Big East Basketball tourney. UCONN, Cincy and USF got the lion share of the dough. That in my estimation was a sweetheart deal. It makes up somewhat for the money UCONN won't be getting by being in a major conference. That's why it is so important that the American does well in the polls. The better they do, the better the future TV contract will be. That's why it's brilliant that we have a former TV exec at the helm.

UCF finishing #10 and out doing Louisville was huge for the conference. Having as many teams as possible going to the Big Dance will be big. The Fed Ex forum for the American League championship should be a sell out. I'd say thus far the conference is moving in an upward mobile direction. See link below

http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/big-east-american-athletic-conference/244087/

Reaction Score
Why is the potential of the AAC greater than the press publicizes? I think UConn and Memphis can be national powers, and Temple and Cincinnati will be good more often than not and SMU will be good as long as Larry Brown is there. The rest of the schools aren't trying.

The Big East looks like it may have only 3 teams make the dance because it is so deep. It is still the #3 RPI league, but the schools are beating the snot out of each other in league play. Georgetown is on the bubble right now.

More interesting is that the ACC, the greatest conference in the history of conferences, only has 5 teams in the Top 50.

Patience, patience, patience... SMU is on the rise with Larry Brown, Houston could become the Houston of old. UCF and USF will get stronger. Cincy and Temple have storied programs. Also East Carolina and Tulsa with Danny Manning at the helm will be competitive. Not sure about Tulane but overall these teams together with a strong OOC schedule will be fine. I was thoroughly entertained by the Memphis game this week. That will turn out to be a great rivalry. Sorry but you gotta love the one your with or else you will be miserable all the time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Big East had around 110 million in the bank from bowls, exit fees, etc. Aresco made a deal with the Big East to keep 100 Million of it in exchange for the Big East name and Madison Square Garden for the Big East Basketball tourney. UCONN, Cincy and USF got the lion share of the dough. That in my estimation was a sweetheart deal. It makes up somewhat for the money UCONN won't be getting by being in a major conference. That's why it is so important that the American does well in the polls. The better they do, the better the future TV contract will be. That's why it's brilliant that we have a former TV exec at the helm.

UCF finishing #10 and out doing Louisville was huge for the conference. Having as many teams as possible going to the Big Dance will be big. The Fed Ex forum for the American League championship should be a sell out. I'd say thus far the conference is moving in an upward mobile direction. See link below

http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/big-east-american-athletic-conference/244087/

I agree with all of that.

I just haven't seen anywhere that puts down on paper what UConn actually got out of the deal.

The linked articles don't mention it either.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Patience, patience, patience... SMU is on the rise with Larry Brown, Houston could become the Houston of old. UCF and USF will get stronger. Cincy and Temple have storied programs. Also East Carolina and Tulsa with Danny Manning at the helm will be competitive. Not sure about Tulane but overall these teams together with a strong OOC schedule will be fine. I was thoroughly entertained by the Memphis game this week. That will turn out to be a great rivalry. Sorry but you gotta love the one your with or else you will be miserable all the time.

I get your point, but please don't try to blow us away with that Danny Manning bit.

Reaction Score
Until the bottom of the conference gets better, it's going to be a similar problem to what the Mountain West has had: some very good teams up top with lower RPIs getting mediocre NCAA seeds. No way the two best teams both get 1 seeds, as often happens for power conferences, and no way the 3 best teams all get 1 seeds (which only happened for the BE).

You figure, the best team will likely get a 2-3 seed (at best) most years, and then the next best team in the 4-6 range. That hurts chances for longer runs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was just a few years ago when the Big East sent 8 teams to the Big Dance just 1 being a BB-only.

Reaction Score
Interesting that 2 of the 3 BE teams that are tourney bound (assuming no GT) are newcomers Creighton and Xavier. when McDermott leaves Creighton they may go the way of Butler. Xavier will be good, but doesn't have the coattails to really help the conference nationally. Limited TV exposure, small schools, and no dominant team to make run in the tourney is not a good scenario.

Realignment was a nightmare, but selling the BE name and pocketing significant dollars was the right move. Having the first AAC tourney in Memphis was also smart. It will outshine the 1/2 filled MSG and should be quite competitive.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
IIRC prior articles (regrettably, I don't have any link) said that UConn would get a distribution similar to that mentioned by the OP. Unfortunately, it is also due to be distributed over 7 years (incentive for UConn and other old Big East teams not to leave the AAC). When spread over 7 years, the amount is merely a bit of a band-aid over losses from the poor TV contract.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The good programs leaving the BE is what's/will kill it.

Reaction Score
Interesting that 2 of the 3 BE teams that are tourney bound (assuming no GT) are newcomers Creighton and Xavier. when McDermott leaves Creighton they may go the way of Butler. Xavier will be good, but doesn't have the coattails to really help the conference nationally. Limited TV exposure, small schools, and no dominant team to make run in the tourney is not a good scenario.

Realignment was a nightmare, but selling the BE name and pocketing significant dollars was the right move. Having the first AAC tourney in Memphis was also smart. It will outshine the 1/2 filled MSG and should be quite competitive.

But PC fans say that Creighton will bring more fans to MSG than Cuse and UCONN combined used to bring.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But PC fans say that Creighton will bring more fans to MSG than Cuse and UCONN combined used to bring.

Yes a few idiots say that. I wouldn't be surprised if the best represented school at the Big East tourney is Creighton though. The old Big East swapping out DePaul for Creighton would have been even better. Hell if you want a Catholic trade Seton Hall for Xavier. Cinci and Xavier at the Garden may have needed law enforcement on the floor.

Reaction Score
Nobody said that. What was stated was that Creighton sold their allotment in November. Something none of those other schools did.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
seanmc94 said:
Nobody said that. What was stated was that Creighton sold their allotment in November. Something none of those other schools did.

That's because the schools never had the chance to buy them in November.

Reaction Score
UConn & 'Cuse fans didn't have to purchase BE tourney tickets through their school like Creighton fans did. Being so close to NYC, both UConn & 'Cuse purchase tickets on their own. It's not feasible for Creighton fans to do that all the way out in Nebraska. Perhaps Bruce Dern can get Creighton fans tickets!!!
UConn & Syracuse brought an electricity to the Garden each year. I don't think some small school from Nebraska can match that.

Reaction Score
UConn & 'Cuse fans didn't have to purchase BE tourney tickets through their school like Creighton fans did. Being so close to NYC, both UConn & 'Cuse purchase tickets on their own. It's not feasible for Creighton fans to do that all the way out in Nebraska. Perhaps Bruce Dern can get Creighton fans tickets!!!
UConn & Syracuse brought an electricity to the Garden each year. I don't think some small school from Nebraska can match that.

UConn and Cuse fans absolutely brought an electricity to the BET. We as fans will probably never experience something like the BET tourney again and I think we can all agree that the old BET was always the highlight of the season (unless we won a nat'l champ).

That being said, we and Cuse were the beneficiaries of the locale which enabled us to help create that atmosphere. Both the locales of the schools to the Garden and strong alumni bases within the city.

I actually am extremely interested to see the turnout of the AAC tourney this year. Memphis will obviously have a large contingent, Louisville travels well, and we are known to travel well as a fan base, but will be missing A LOT of the commuter fans who won't want to pay for airfare/hotels.

After that your guess is as good as mine, how many fans of other teams are actually going to be willing to travel to Memphis for the tourney? A much as I want to believe the other fan bases will fill it up I have considerable questions about that.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
UConn and Cuse fans absolutely brought an electricity to the BET. We as fans will probably never experience something like the BET tourney again and I think we can all agree that the old BET was always the highlight of the season (unless we won a nat'l champ).

That being said, we and Cuse were the beneficiaries of the locale which enabled us to help create that atmosphere. Both the locales of the schools to the Garden and strong alumni bases within the city.

I actually am extremely interested to see the turnout of the AAC tourney this year. Memphis will obviously have a large contingent, Louisville travels well, and we are known to travel well as a fan base, but will be missing A LOT of the commuter fans who won't want to pay for airfare/hotels.

After that your guess is as good as mine, how many fans of other teams are actually going to be willing to travel to Memphis for the tourney? A much as I want to believe the other fan bases will fill it up I have considerable questions about that.

Cincy and UL fans show up in droves for a Memphis tourney...UL fans are coming off a title run and should travel VERY well.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
http://csnbbs.com/thread-672881.html

The 100 plus million gets split 60-40 old teams/new teams...

If you include the TV deal money:

UConn, Cincy, USF get 6 million dollars per team, per year...for the AACs first 5 years.

The rest of us (sans Navy) get 3 million dollars per team, per year...for the AACs first 5 years.

Starts next season.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Cincy and UL fans show up in droves for a Memphis tourney...UL fans are coming off a title run and should travel VERY well.

I am expecting a solid crowd from Cincinnati. I am planning to go down on Friday if UC gets to the semi-finals. Might be able to get down on Thursday as well.

Reaction Score
http://csnbbs.com/thread-672881.html

The 100 plus million gets split 60-40 old teams/new teams...

If you include the TV deal money:

UConn, Cincy, USF get 6 million dollars per team, per year...for the AACs first 5 years.

The rest of us (sans Navy) get 3 million dollars per team, per year...for the AACs first 5 years.

Starts next season.
This is why I'm not worried yet. We get what 3 million a year from the TV deal? Then the 6-7 million from this, as well as our deals with IMG, etc. we have a 5 year window to get out of this conference, and. And maybe the AAC develops into a 10 million/yr conference by then. Have to pretend to be positive about our situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom