AAC vs Big East attendance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC vs Big East attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The AAC attendance will go up with UConn in-da-house on the reg... playa stay up.

I would expect SMU’s to go up a lot due to the better competition and their high profile new coach (Larry Brown), their arena hold just under 9,000.

Reaction Score
FS2 has little reach

Well you just showed that DirectTV has it, and I know FIOS has it, so that right there is 10s of millions of homes. Not sure about who else does or doesn't carry it, but I don't think you know either.

and is frickin hard to find. I literally spent 10 minutes on my DirectV guide until I found it. You will be buried there never to be seen from or heard again.
Don't disagree there, FS2 is buried on my FIOS lineup. You think it will stay there? I highly doubt it. FS1 is right after the ESPNs and NESN and before the NFL, NBA, and NHL networks, so its right where it should be. Fox Soccer (which I hear is going away for another fox property) will likely be replaced in the lineup as FS2, the very next channel up from FS1. This is on FIOS.

Mr. Chukwu just gave up 16 appearances on ESPN and CBS.
Chukwu comes in next year, so by then FS1 and FS2 should be firmly established on all the carriers and their lineups. Further none of us knows which games will be on FS1 or FS2 yet. Plus PC is on Nat TV 24 times, I only know 18 are on Fox Sports, the other 6 could be/will be on one of the other major stations. Thats for this year, we'll see what next year brings. Sorry but Fox didn't pay the BE 500 million dollars to bury it. It will be out there for all to see. The AAC was tossed scraps from ESPN, and may not get another contract after that. Fact..

Reaction Score
Well you just showed that DirectTV has it, and I know FIOS has it, so that right there is 10s of millions of homes. Not sure about who else does or doesn't carry it, but I don't think you know either.

Don't disagree there, FS2 is buried on my FIOS lineup. You think it will stay there? I highly doubt it. FS1 is right after the ESPNs and NESN and before the NFL, NBA, and NHL networks, so its right where it should be. Fox Soccer (which I hear is going away for another fox property) will likely be replaced in the lineup as FS2, the very next channel up from FS1. This is on FIOS.

Chukwu comes in next year, so by then FS1 and FS2 should be firmly established on all the carriers and their lineups. Further none of us knows which games will be on FS1 or FS2 yet. Plus PC is on Nat TV 24 times, I only know 18 are on Fox Sports, the other 6 could be/will be on one of the other major stations. Thats for this year, we'll see what next year brings. Sorry but Fox didn't pay the BE 500 million dollars to bury it. It will be out there for all to see. The AAC was tossed scraps from ESPN, and may not get another contract after that. Fact..

Your hopes are a wing and a prayer. By the way, it's no secret how many homes FS2 reaches.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-sports-1s-launch-week-608252

Even the PC board is complaining as there is a lack of access in the state of RI.

Fox initially described FS2 as carrying reruns of FS1 shows:
What will you see on Fox Sports 2 that isn't on Fox Sports 1? At first, not much. The lone original programming appears to be additional UEFA Champions League matches. You'll see daily reruns of potentially signature programs Fox Sports Live, Fox Football Daily and Crowd Goes W!ld an hour after they air live on FS1. Some additional NASCAR, UFC and CONCACAF Champions League soccer will also air. The wild card that may make Fox Sports 2 worth a click over just in case you came home an hour late for Regis Philbin? Rugby and Aussie Rules Football! Yes, it appears that Fox Sports 2 will take over the mantle from Fox Soccer and Fox Soccer Plus and air AFL Premiership Football and NRL Rugby on the weekends, according to this schedule.

Why this would drive anyone to 2 when they can get most of it on 1 is a mystery. 1 doesn't have enough compelling TV let alone 2.

Are you even aware of what the ratings were like for BE basketball when top ranked teams played on ESPN? Think about the new reality with that perspective in mind.

And again, UConn has more than 24 games on national TV but I'm not going to celebrate games on ESPNU and CBSSN because they are as limited as FS2.

Any fan with a brain would prefer to be on CBS and ESPN.

Fox Sports 1, which is a brand new channel, is available at launch in about 90 million homes. Fox Sports 2, taking the position on cable systems previously held by Fuel TV and in some cases the Speed network, is in about 37 million homes.
That compares to the 98 million basic cable TV homes ESPN says both ESPN and ESPN2 can be seen in currently. There are also three other smaller ESPN sports networks. However, the Fox channels are available in more homes than other rivals from major broadcasters. CBS Sports Network is on air in about 49 million U.S. TV homes (but reaches over 90 million, if those other customers would elect to see it); and NBC Sports Network, about to be renamed NBCSN, is in 80 million homes, according to the network.

Here's the bottom line:

1. CBS: 100+m homes
2. ESPN/ESPN2: 98m
3. FS1: 90m
4. CBS SN: 49m.
5. FS2: 37m

UConn will be on channels with 100+m and 98m homes 16 times over the course of the year. It will have a few games on CBS SN at 49m.

PC will be a secret until next week. It might be on in 90m or in 37m.

As for your last claim that Fox didn't pay each BE team $4m a year to bury them, consider that ESPN is paying the ACC more and that NC State will only appear on ESPN 3 times all year. There is little correlation between the size of the payout and the amount of exposure given to each team. If there were, NC State would be on ESPN/ESPN2 more than 3 times.

Reaction Score
According to their own web site story, all BE games will be on Fox Sports 1:

"FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports’ newly minted national multi-sport channel which launches this summer, is slated to televise over 100 men’s regular-season basketball games next season. The network is also scheduled to carry the entire Big East Men’s Basketball Tournament each season, live from Madison Square Garden in New York City, the tournament’s home since 1983, and the longest-running conference tournament played at one venue."

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...-multi-platform-media-rights-agreement-032013

So all 18 conference games for all teams in 90 million homes. Not bad.

As you said Fox has to fill up FS1, what do you think they'll be filling it with? Also FS2 will end up showing live stuff, just as ESPN2 does, it will be used for replays and live stuff, whatever they need. But they'll focus most of their best stuff on FS1 obviously.

From a Villanova site about Fox acquiescing to the lower rate fee:

"For the Big East, it is clearly a benefit that Fox did not hold out to press the issue on a higher fee. Launching on 90 million set-top boxes was key to the new conference's decision to sign on with the upstart national network. It may even be that agreements with the Big East, NASCAR, UFC and others required FS1 to fulfill a promise to launch the network with that reach, causing them to fold in negotiations."

http://www.vuhoops.com/catholic-7-n...x-sports-1-will-be-the-largest-sports-network

Reaction Score
According to their own web site story, all BE games will be on Fox Sports 1:

"FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports’ newly minted national multi-sport channel which launches this summer, is slated to televise over 100 men’s regular-season basketball games next season. The network is also scheduled to carry the entire Big East Men’s Basketball Tournament each season, live from Madison Square Garden in New York City, the tournament’s home since 1983, and the longest-running conference tournament played at one venue."

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...-multi-platform-media-rights-agreement-032013

So all 18 conference games for all teams in 90 million homes. Not bad.

As you said Fox has to fill up FS1, what do you think they'll be filling it with? Also FS2 will end up showing live stuff, just as ESPN2 does, it will be used for replays and live stuff, whatever they need. But they'll focus most of their best stuff on FS1 obviously.

From a Villanova site about Fox acquiescing to the lower rate fee:

"For the Big East, it is clearly a benefit that Fox did not hold out to press the issue on a higher fee. Launching on 90 million set-top boxes was key to the new conference's decision to sign on with the upstart national network. It may even be that agreements with the Big East, NASCAR, UFC and others required FS1 to fulfill a promise to launch the network with that reach, causing them to fold in negotiations."

http://www.vuhoops.com/catholic-7-n...x-sports-1-will-be-the-largest-sports-network

Your reading comprehension needs work. It doesn't say that FS1 will carry 100 BE basketball games. It says FS1 will carry 100 games. FS1 has the rights to other conferences.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I guess being On 24 times this season on a station in 90 million homes isn't "Big TV"? Btw the FS TV deal being worth significantly more than the AAC Espn deal shows which league is more valued. The market has spoken.
The market took into consideration that Cincinnati and UConn only had two toes in the AAC. The interesting thing is that from a basketball standpoint the AAC may actually be a very good conference in a few years. It will be interesting to see how quickly it is perceived to be equal to or better than the BE. The loss of Stevens could be a big hit for the BE. Of course the AAC is still in a situation where universities may leave. The BE does have stability for now.

I like the new rendition of the BE and wish it well.

Reaction Score
Your reading comprehension needs work. It doesn't say that FS1 will carry 100 BE basketball games. It says FS1 will carry 100 games. FS1 has the rights to other conferences.

Fair enough. We'll find out the details when the BE releases schedule next week. I find it delusional how anyone could be excited about the AAC and where UCONN stands (perception and reality of conference strength, attendance, popularity, TV rights, etc) going forward if they aren't invited somewhere else, but I get it, this is a UCONN message board.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Fair enough. We'll find out the details when the BE releases schedule next week. I find it delusional how anyone could be excited about the AAC and where UCONN stands (perception and reality of conference strength, attendance, popularity, TV rights, etc) going forward if they aren't invited somewhere else, but I get it, this is a UCONN message board.
Funny how you could be excited about getting Chukwa and the UConn message board is delusional to see Mudiay going to SMU! I was looking for a fourth team to emerge in the AAC conference when Ville leaves. It looks like UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis and SMU will be better than the top of the BE in the future. Of course we'll see how this plays out in the arena.

Reaction Score

I'd much rather be where UConn stands because of what's coming down the road. Right now, exposure is great.

We'll also see by November probably which conference is pulling in the better players. My money is on the AAC.

Reaction Score
As of now, on 247 sports the Big East has 6 teams ranked in the top 50 (5 in top 25) for 2014 recruiting classes:

#4 Georgetown
#10 Providence
#13 Villanova
#14 Marquette
#21 Xavier
#31 Seton Hall

Of course we'll have to see how the teams and leagues do over the next few years + exposure, to see how this plays out long term, but so far recruiting is very strong in the Big East.

Reaction Score
I like how the guy who made the chart put question marks as if it was UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE to figure out UConn's % of attendance.

2013: 7 Gampel Games (71169)+ 9 XL Games (146646)=217815 possible seats; 181255 seats sold= 83%
2012: (71169)+(146646)= 217815; 187118/217815= 86%
2011: 61002+162940= 223942; 186478/223942= 83%
2010: 81336+162940=244276; 216453/244276= 89%
2009: 71169+146646= 217815; 200284/217815= 92%

Five year average 87%

Reaction Score
As of now, on 247 sports the Big East has 6 teams ranked in the top 50 (5 in top 25) for 2014 recruiting classes:

#4 Georgetown
#10 Providence
#13 Villanova
#14 Marquette
#21 Xavier
#31 Seton Hall
Of course we'll have to see how the teams and leagues do over the next few years + exposure, to see how this plays out long term, but so far recruiting is very strong in the Big East.

This sort of thing is meaningless. Let's look at the top 100 when the sigs are on the dotted line.

I've never been a fan of crediting schools with 6 scholarships to give out simply because they have more than anyone else.

UConn for instance will jump in rank simply because of they are giving out. Meaningless.

Let's see who grabs the best players.

Reaction Score
This sort of thing is meaningless. Let's look at the top 100 when the sigs are on the dotted line.

I've never been a fan of crediting schools with 6 scholarships to give out simply because they have more than anyone else.

UConn for instance will jump in rank simply because of they are giving out. Meaningless.

Let's see who grabs the best players.

You can quibble with the formula, the point is the BE is landing lots of top 100 4 star + recruits still so so far so good.

Reaction Score
You can quibble with the formula, the point is the BE is landing lots of top 100 4 star + recruits still so so far so good.

I'm not quibbling. I'm telling you it's out and out ludicrous.

Have you not noticed that most of the top 100 hasn't verballed?

I'm also telling you that without a doubt UConn will end up ranked much higher than it deserves by the sheer strength of number of scholarships. It's stupid.

Reaction Score
1) you ignored the main point again, that the reconfigured BE thus far is recruiting very strong.

2) it isn't that ridiculous as long as you know that it depends on number of scholarships. Obviously a program with 1 or no scholarships won't be at the top. But a class with 3 4 stars and a 3 star simply IS stronger than a a class with 1 4star, regardless of the reason why...

Reaction Score
1) you ignored the main point again, that the reconfigured BE thus far is recruiting very strong.

2) it isn't that ridiculous as long as you know that it depends on number of scholarships. Obviously a program with 1 or no scholarships won't be at the top. But a class with 3 4 stars and a 3 star simply IS stronger than a a class with 1 4star, regardless of the reason why...

1. It's August. The vast majority of the top 100 hasn't verballed. This is like putting up a banner for making a tournament. oh wait!!!!!

2. I'd much rather be the team with 1 5 star than the team with a 4 star and multiple 3 stars. Because the following season, it's much more likely that the coach able to land a 5 star is going to land 1 more 5 star and 2 four stars. That's the way it works.

All I know is that UConn sends more kids to the NBA than practically anyone and the recruiting rankings don't correlate to that fact.

ESPECIALLY IN AUGUST.

Here's something else for you to consider: Okafor, Kemba Walker, Drummond, Thabeet, Villanueva, etc. All these kids were very late verbals for UConn. Spring-time for a few of them. The best players verbal late.

You think Kansas with Wiggins was concerned about last August's recruiting rankings?

Reaction Score
We gotta get stronger screening for these out of towners, man.

Reaction Score
Again your missing or ignoring my point. As of today the big east is recruiting very well. While there are many recruits left to verbal, it doesn't change the fact that as of now, among those who have, many are going to BE. Not sure what the NBA has to do with this discussion.

Reaction Score
Again your missing or ignoring my point. As of today the big east is recruiting very well. While there are many recruits left to verbal, it doesn't change the fact that as of now, among those who have, many are going to BE. Not sure what the NBA has to do with this discussion.

As of today, DePaul is in first place in the BE.

Reaction Score
Looks like I was pretty spot on, the Big East will dominate coverage on Fox Sports 1, along with select games on the regular Fox national channel, and a few sub-leased out in an agreement with CBS Sports. PC for example has all but 3 of its conf games on Fox Sports 1, which is in 90 million homes and widely available in HD. 1 of their other games is on the regional Fox channel, and 2 on CBS SN. There will also be non conf games aired on national TV but the school hasn't released the full schedule yet with TV info. If you're a recruit looking for television exposure, the Big East has it.

BIG EAST ANNOUNCES 2013-14 MEN'S BASKETBALL
CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

FOX Sports 1 to Air More Than 100 Games Nationally, Highlighted by New Year's Eve Marathon, "Super Saturday" Doubleheader and Wall-to-Wall BIG EAST Tournament Action from Madison Square Garden

New York - September 5, 2013 -The BIG EAST will ring in the new year - and a new era of college hoops - with a five-game telecast marathon stretching from Noon to Midnight on December 31. The New Year's Eve games, which will be televised consecutively by the conference's media partner FOX Sports 1, will tip off the BIG EAST's 2013-14 men's basketball conference schedule, which was released today.

As part of the BIG EAST's landmark partnership with FOX Sports, every BIG EAST conference game will be televised on national and regional networks, with the majority to air on FOX Sports 1, which began broadcasting to approximately 90 million homes across the country on August 17.

Led by the legendary announcing team of Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery, who has been calling BIG EAST basketball for more than thirty years, FOX Sports 1 will nationally televise more than 100 games involving BIG EAST teams this coming season, beginning with non-conference play on Friday, November 8 and extending through the entire 2014 BIG EAST tournament at Madison Square Garden from March 12-15.

"From the BIG EAST's version of the Times Square New Year's Eve Ball drop through the fireworks of the annual BIG EAST tournament in the world's most famous arena, the 2013-14 conference schedule will be a months-long celebration of the BIG EAST's return to its basketball roots," said BIG EAST Commissioner Val Ackerman. "We have 10 outstanding teams with rich traditions of basketball excellence, and our comprehensive partnership with FOX Sports will ensure that our fans across the country can enjoy every moment of BIG EAST action."

Tuesday night will be a BIG EAST TUESDAY SHOWDOWN on FOX Sports 1, as the network showcases at least one BIG EAST game each Tuesday during the season. The Tuesday schedule concludes with a March 4 doubleheader featuring Creighton at Georgetown and Marquette at Providence.

Additional highlights of the 2013-14 schedule include:

Each team will play an 18-game schedule, marking the first time since 1994-1995 that the league will feature a full double round-robin format.

A New Year's Eve marathon will feature all 10 teams, including the first BIG EAST home games for the conference's newest members: Butler, Creighton and Xavier. The marathon will tip off with St. John's at Xavier at noon ET, followed by Seton Hall at Providence at 2:30, DePaul at Georgetown at 5:00, Villanova at Butler at 7:30 and Marquette at Creighton at 10:00.

FOX Sports 1 will air A SUPER SATURDAY HOOPS doubleheader, featuring Marquette vs. St. John's and Michigan State vs. Georgetown, live from Madison Square Garden, on February 1, the eve of Super Bowl XLVIII in the New York/New Jersey region.

The quest for the 2013-14 BIG EAST regular season crown will conclude with four games on Saturday, March 8 - Georgetown at Villanova, Providence at Creighton, St. John's at Marquette and Seton Hall at Butler.

The BIG EAST Championship, one of the elite events in all of college sports, is college basketball's longest running conference tournament at the same venue. The 10-team tourney will begin with a first-round doubleheader on Wednesday, March 12. Two quarterfinal doubleheaders will be played Thursday afternoon and evening, March 13, followed by a semifinal doubleheader Friday, March 14 and the championship game Saturday, March 15.

In addition to the Tuesday night showcase on FOX Sports 1, fans will be able to enjoy BIG EAST basketball on virtually every day of the conference season in January and February, including multiple games each Saturday. Other than December 31, all 10 teams will play on the same day only once, Saturday, Jan. 25.

FOX Sports 1 will air 108 regular-season games, and an additional 9 tournament games. FOX Sports 2 will air 12 games. (To find the channel location for FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2 on local distributors, use the channel locator at http://msn.foxsports.com/.)
CBS Sports Network will air 18 games, and 2 additional games will air on CBS Sports.
FOX Sports Network will air up to 18 games regionally. FOX Sports (FBC) will televise one game featuring BIG EAST teams.

Last year, five of the 10 BIG EAST schools - Butler, Creighton, Georgetown, Marquette and Villanova - played in the NCAA Championship, with Marquette advancing to the Elite Eight. Along the way, Marquette edged Butler 74-72 in a third-round game. Providence and St. John's played in the NIT.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...5-big-east-announces-full-league-schedule.ece

Reaction Score
Good for you guys. 14 games on FS1 is great.
Better than NC State's 4 on ESPN/CBS.
I don't see much on your OOC schedule other than Kentucky that would be of interest. The problem of course is that the Kentucky game is on a Sunday night opposite NFL on NBC in December. Ouch. That could have been a national game. Can't imagine who would host it.
What other OOC games could be on the big stations?

Reaction Score
Each team will play an 18-game schedule, marking the first time since 1994-1995 that the league will feature a full double round-robin format.

What league?... this is a new league... that league is now the AAC

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If you're a recruit looking for television exposure, the Big East has it.

The AAC has more exposure. Fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69