Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
updated-attendance.jpg

http://painttouches.com/2013/08/21/comparing-aac-and-big-east-attendance/

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The AAC attendance will go up with UConn in-da-house on the reg... playa stay up.

Reaction Score
I find it hilarious that St. Johns...... smack dab in the middle of a sports mecca can only get 7,000 people out of what... 10 million surrounding them? Folks in here can crap on the AAC if they want but long term they will be a better league than the Catholics. It just won't happen overnight and some peeps around here have the patience of a 5 year old who has to pee about 20 miles from the next rest area.

Reaction Score
Let's compare exposure on the TV channels that count: ESPN, CBS, ESPN2.

UConn will be on 16 times.

See you later.

I know that the "exposure" argument is important to a lot of people here, and heaven knows we need something to hang our hopes on, but just think for a minute. What is the price paid for this "exposure". The total paid to us in a year for basically all of our sports is paltry. On a per game basis it is so low as to be an embarrassment. Why? Because no team has value by itself. The value comes from the matches and in this new league with the possible exception of the UConn/Memphis BB games there are no compelling matches. Maybe Cincy will get its act together in the short term, but if they do they will move heaven and earth to get out of the AAC. The rest of this conference makes Providence& St. John's seem like Michigan in terms of national recognition. Can "exposure" change this? Sure, just don't hold your breath. The more I talk to the folks I know from the SEC about this whole subject the more depressed I get about the outlook for conferences like the AAC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So Seton Hall draws more than Butler!
Well Butler does have a higher percentage filled.

Reaction Score
Exposure does have value....

The ACC did much the same...trading exposure for money.

Reaction Score
I know that the "exposure" argument is important to a lot of people here, and heaven knows we need something to hang our hopes on, but just think for a minute. What is the price paid for this "exposure". The total paid to us in a year for basically all of our sports is paltry. On a per game basis it is so low as to be an embarrassment. Why? Because no team has value by itself. The value comes from the matches and in this new league with the possible exception of the UConn/Memphis BB games there are no compelling matches. Maybe Cincy will get its act together in the short term, but if they do they will move heaven and earth to get out of the AAC. The rest of this conference makes Providence& St. John's seem like Michigan in terms of national recognition. Can "exposure" change this? Sure, just don't hold your breath. The more I talk to the folks I know from the SEC about this whole subject the more depressed I get about the outlook for conferences like the AAC.

The conference has better football than the old BE

But as for your other point, realize that an extra $2 or $3 m was not going to help UConn as much as the ability to sell TV exposure to recruits.

You have to think of keeping that pipeline going long enough to get UConn out of the conference. If you sacrifice talent for money, you'll end up stuck here forever.

Reaction Score
The conference has better football than the old BE

I dunno about that....Someone will have to step up

Cincinnati
Rutgers
UCF
South Florida
Houston
UConn
SMU
Temple
Memphis

I frankly don't see the replacement of WVU, Pitt, Louisville, and Syracuse...maybe for one or the other, but not the whole crew.

2000-2012

Louisville finished in the final AP six times.....WVU finished ranked ranked seven times.....Pitt a couple of years, Syracuse....and of course Miami and VT until 2003

Reaction Score
LOL...I think that I am communicating...but every morning I go to my radiation at the hospital to kill this cancer...who knows? Maybe I just think that I am clear....

Reaction Score
I dunno about that....Someone will have to step up

Cincinnati
Rutgers
UCF
South Florida
Houston
UConn
SMU
Temple
Memphis

I frankly don't see the replacement of WVU, Pitt, Louisville, and Syracuse...maybe for one or the other, but not the whole crew.

2000-2012

Louisville finished in the final AP six times.....WVU finished ranked ranked seven times.....Pitt a couple of years, Syracuse....and of course Miami and VT until 2003

You wildly overrate everyone but WV.

Reaction Score
LOL...I think that I am communicating...but every morning I go to my radiation at the hospital to kill this cancer...who knows? Maybe I just think that I am clear....

Sorry to hear that. Have a friend going through the same.

Reaction Score
You wildly overrate everyone but WV.

Maybe...but I don't see any two of the AAC crew finishing ranked six or more times like Louisville and WVU...maybe one offs like Syracuse or maybe even a couple of finishes like Pitt...buts that all I see.

Reaction Score
Maybe...but I don't see any two of the AAC crew finishing ranked six or more times like Louisville and WVU...maybe one offs like Syracuse or maybe even a couple of finishes like Pitt...buts that all I see.

You're going way back by mentioning Cuse and Pitt. Why not mention SMU if you're going to do that? Or Houston?

Reaction Score
I was specific...2000-2012

SMU has been ranked in this century? If you want to go way back. let's talk VT and Miami.

What year was Houston AP end ranked?

(by the way...I'd give you Cincinnati if you'd brought them up)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that...I hope he/she isn't coping with these miserable radiation burns...
Good luck with your treatments!

Reaction Score
I find it hilarious that St. Johns...... smack dab in the middle of a sports mecca can only get 7,000 people out of what... 10 million surrounding them? Folks in here can crap on the AAC if they want but long term they will be a better league than the Catholics. It just won't happen overnight and some peeps around here have the patience of a 5 year old who has to pee about 20 miles from the next rest area.

St John's plays in an on campus arena that seats around 6500 I believe. They play a couple of games in MSG where they draw around 12k I believe. The AAC is a joke and this chart proves it. Good luck in a league no one cares about.

Reaction Score
St John's plays in an on campus arena that seats around 6500 I believe. They play a couple of games in MSG where they draw around 12k I believe. The AAC is a joke and this chart proves it. Good luck in a league no one cares about.

All I care about is UConn. We're on big TV constantly, unlike your team.

Reaction Score
All I care about is UConn. We're on big TV constantly, unlike your team.
I guess being On 24 times this season on a station in 90 million homes isn't "Big TV"? Btw the FS TV deal being worth significantly more than the AAC Espn deal shows which league is more valued. The market has spoken.

Reaction Score
I guess being On 24 times this season on a station in 90 million homes isn't "Big TV"? Btw the FS TV deal being worth significantly more than the AAC Espn deal shows which league is more valued. The market has spoken.

Where's your schedule. Show it. We're on ESPN, ESPN2 and CBS 16 times. You're not on FS1 24 times, that's BS, and FS1 is not even as watched as the 3 channels UConn is on. Face facts.

Reaction Score
BE is releasing it's schedule next week, since many of the teams play in pro arenas, unlike the bottom half of the AAC which looks like it must play in HS gyms.

PC is on national TV 24 times (per HC) and all BE games are on FOX Sports channel(s). That is a fact. How many are on FS1 and FS2 we'll find out next week.

Reaction Score
BE is releasing it's schedule next week, since many of the teams play in pro arenas, unlike the bottom half of the AAC which looks like it must play in HS gyms.

PC is on national TV 24 times (per HC) and all BE games are on FOX Sports channel(s). That is a fact. How many are on FS1 and FS2 we'll find out next week.

FS2 has little reach and is frickin hard to find. I literally spent 10 minutes on my DirectV guide until I found it. You will be buried there never to be seen from or heard again. Mr. Chukwu just gave up 16 appearances on ESPN and CBS.

Reaction Score
updated-attendance.jpg

http://painttouches.com/2013/08/21/comparing-aac-and-big-east-attendance/[/quote]

Just a guess; but, the 3 teams listed as ‘?’ with respect to % filled are 3 programs that use more than one arena as a home court.

Also noted that both of the local high school’s here in NJ have a higher average attendance for their football games than Tulane does for basketball. Heck, the attendance when the two played hockey last winter was 1,200 and that was the maximum capacity of the arena (actually, well over the fire code).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom