AAC Using "P6" Decals On Helmets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC Using "P6" Decals On Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I totally dig this. It's called marketing. As I said before, the Big 12's loss in "perception" is our gain.

Reaction Score
Aresco has to do what he can, and he has limited degrees of freedom. The alternative is surrender. Sure, it's a small symbolic act, but it can't hurt.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The rest of the conference deserves to wear a P6 sticker. The AAC can play.

Maybe a G5 sticker would be more appropriate for us.

Reaction Score
Genius actually - Think about the return on investment - couple thousand in stickers

Reaction Score
They'll probably keep these stickers. I don't see them disappearing. Really is a clever move. Now we need a new contract to get Dicko the out of here.

The other schools will like these stickers more than our fanbase for obvious reasons.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The irony is that the AAC could be a P6 conference tomorrow if they really wanted to. All they have to do is convince one of the NY6 bowl games to sign an exclusive contract to accept the conference champion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The irony is that the AAC could be a P6 conference tomorrow if they really wanted to. All they have to do is convince one of the NY6 bowl games to sign an exclusive contract to accept the conference champion.

Yeah no. That doesn't get them in the autonomy club.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah no. That doesn't get them in the autonomy club.

Well, that gets them equal access. It doesn't get them equal pay. We can't get equal pay without 2 or 3 of the blue blood football programs, i.e., Texas and Oklahoma. Most people understand that, including TCU and Iowa State...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Pretending you're something you're not doesn't do anybody in the AAC any good. You can apply all the stupid, nonsensical helmet stickers you want to, but the AAC teams still get 10+++ times less money than the P5 schools, and thats the only difference between the AAC and P5 leagues. As for the weakling P5'ers, they're laughing at us on the way to their bank.

Reaction Score
we're talking about the conference whose teams media deals are a pimple on the asscheek of P5 teams.
your also talking about a brand new conference still in it's first TV deal. When the league first started none of the networks knew that it would be as competitive as it has been. I'm sure the next contract, although not at B1G level, will be bigger and as long as it's close to the weakest P-5 TV deal( I assume that would be Big 12) and better than any other G-5 deal then you can't complain. The newest kid on the block has to earn it first. Give it time.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, that gets them equal access. It doesn't get them equal pay. We can't get equal pay without 2 or 3 of the blue blood football programs, i.e., Texas and Oklahoma. Most people understand that, including TCU and Iowa State...

No it literally doesn't get them into the group that gets to make up the rules.

So yeah it would be nice and would have value for the league in a lot of ways - but there is no way in hell it's happening.

Reaction Score
This is so stupid.

Aresco and league can breathe with an intact conference now that the Small12 has made their decision after months of the "Big Tease" He now has the responsibility of doing everything possible to get a Max TV contract. If placing a note on the back of the Helmet as part of a larger marketing strategy (together with competitive teams) helps make that statement, then I say stick it!

It won't be a stupid idea when it contributes to a substantive TV deal. Aresco is taking advantage of the great TV exposure to get the conversation going. There is a choice, either grovel at the feet of the almighty P5 gods or make a statement to college football fans and the network heads that you should be part of the autonomy group. The helmet stickers are just a small part of the promotion. This is why the league hired Mike Aresco. Right now the University Presidents are saying "Show me the money Mike!"

I wish I could say I was surprised at the nay sayers poo pooing the P6 promotion but truly I am not. The AAC resurrected from the ashes of the Big East and has a chance to become viable. Now is the time to seize every opportunity to create a big time image.

Two of the 4 P's of marketing 101 are 1. Product and 2. Promotion. The AAC has proven they can compete and it looks like if they don't promote it themselves then ESPN, CBS and others aren't going to do it for them.

Reaction Score
Yes they had them on their helmets

CwijimkXUAAzk5o.jpg

Reaction Score
UCF has P6 stickers affixed to their helmets tonight.

I'm waiting to see when the irony of UCF wearing P-6 helmet stickers and tweeting proudly about it dawns on Scott Frost. #Civil ConFLiCT

Reaction Score
Why would this bother anyone?
Because some people are entrenched in their views. It's easier to just say how bad the AAC is than to actually elevate it.

Why bother, it'll never happen, etc.

the expectation that you take on the SEC and Big 10 is dumb. You build off what you have and go from their. You go after your competitors. Right now that's the MWC.

Build that separation. Get people to accept the AAC is a better league. Pick off their prize possession. I doubt BYU could come over unless the money is significant to what they currently get. But there are other options.

Keep getting teams in the national discussion. In 5-6 years, Big 12 is done. That spot is either taken over by AAC or it's the P4. If the AAC is proven to be competitive, you can't deny their place in the field.

Play the P5, keep winning, and eventually the money will follow. It's the Boise model.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I could care one way or another
A sticker is neither going to help UConn or hurt them
If Aresco thinks it sends a message - fine
At the end of the day, again, a sticker on a helmet isn't UConn's biggest issue

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well, there are already things in motion that support the idea of us being a P6 anyways, so it really shouldn't bother anyone. First, the vast majority of choices for Big12 expansion, with the exceptions of BYU and Colorado State, came from the American. Second, we've already seen the "P5" begin to add teams from our conference as "acceptable P5 non-conference opponents"; one of which is UConn.

The "P5" knows that there is high quality in our conference, even if they don't accept equality. And there's nothing wrong with being considered the 6th best of the top 6 conferences. But we need to keep beating the drum. We sure as hell are MUCH better than MACtion or the friggin' SunBelt...

Reaction Score
Strangely enough, with the Big 12 not expanding we are at a point where we actually might want to start rooting for AAC teams to deliver against P5 schools and bowl games. Serious question: in the short term, is it more likely a P5 conference expands with a G5 school or a G5 conference becomes "P6"?

Reaction Score
I just heard the Mountain West is putting P6.5 Stickers on their helmets. AAC outfoxed again!

1dmmvy.jpg

Reaction Score
There are rumors out there that if we don't improve we are going to put "PU" stickers on our helmet.

Reaction Score
Why is The American playing like a power conference and calling itself a power conference right now? I think the great Bill Walsh summed it up best ... #Power6

IMG_3150.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr