AAC tournament REAL expectations? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC tournament REAL expectations?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Just play man to man. Zone is way of telling your opponent you can't defend them. Besides the fact that we keep giving up open 3s due to the zone, we need to grow a collective pair and play man.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I expect to beat USF by 14
Houston by 7
Cincy By 3
SMU by 1
12 Seed play-in game
We don't have to play in the play in game if we win the AAC tourney.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Says Who?
If we had to play in the play-in, it would mean we are a 16 seed. We won't be a 16 seed. The at-large play-ins (usually somewhere between 11-14) don't apply to us because we would be an autobid.

Reaction Score
If we had to play in the play-in, it would mean we are a 16 seed. We won't be a 16 seed. The at-large play-ins (usually somewhere between 11-14) don't apply to us because we would be an autobid.
I don't think that is true. Some 11 seeds played in the play in games last year(tulsa/michigan). 16 seeds are conference tourney champs. Not sure that applies but i could be wrong.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I don't think that is true. Some 11 seeds played in the play in games last year(tulsa/michigan). 16 seeds are conference tourney champs. Not sure that applies but i could be wrong.
My point. The only way we get in now is as a tourney champ so we would get a bye because we are the AAC champ not the A-Sun or NEC champ. Tulsa and Michigan were both play-ins at-larges (they didn't win their tournaments). IF we were on the bubble and lost in the AAC final, then yes, we would probably play in a play-in game as a 11 or 12 seed.

Reaction Score
I don't remember him doing this. I wish he did. I was saying he should. It needed to be done in game 1. We might have won that game, and game 2 and others.

I watched Roy Williams sit an entire starting 5 for like 10 minutes when I was at KU. The subs were losing but playing very hard, and when the starters came back in, KU blew the other team out.

It's just not who KO is. Not only that but his substitution methods have been mind boggling since he started.

Regardless..KO will never be JC with a short fuse, get in your face and swear at you up and down. At first I thought that might have been a good change.

Not anymore.

Reaction Score
My point. The only way we get in now is as a tourney champ so we would get a bye because we are the AAC champ not the A-Sun or NEC champ. Tulsa and Michigan were both play-ins at-larges (they didn't win their tournaments). IF we were on the bubble and lost in the AAC final, then yes, we would probably play in a play-in game as a 11 or 12 seed.
I love that you guys are debating where we'll be seeded when we make the tourney. Almost makes me think we have a chance. <sigh>

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say that I expect to win the tourney, but it wouldn't be the craziest thing I've seen a UCONN team do before. Each team in front of us is beatable. And we'll be at home. The key will be having everyone relatively healthy, including Jalen and Vance.

Focus on USF, and let the chips fall where they may...

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Hmm who hasn't been injured for us yet? I expect that guy to get hurt.

I think we win 2 games.

Facey is only player to play every game healthy this year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How bout we hit some open shots, box out and have less than 7 turnovers each game. Is that too much to ask?

My request is always for defensive stops, made free throws, and few turnovers. We win when the other team scores fewer points.

Then again, neither you nor I answered the question posed.

Reaction Score
I expect to beat USF by 14
Houston by 7
Cincy By 3
SMU by 1
12 Seed play-in game
Could be wrong, but if you win the tournament, you're automatically in and not in the play-in game.

Reaction Score

There are two types of play-in games. The final four at large teams. Typically they are 11 or 12 seeds. The other scenario is final four automatic bids. These are always 16 seeds and 65-68 on the S-Curve. Those go to conference winners from low-major conferences or teams with really bad profiles in mid-majors (like a 10-win team winning the Sun Belt.) UConn would be somewhere in the 12-13 range with an automatic bid.

Reaction Score
There are two types of play-in games. The final four at large teams. Typically they are 11 or 12 seeds. The other scenario is final four automatic bids. These are always 16 seeds and 65-68 on the S-Curve. Those go to conference winners from low-major conferences or teams with really bad profiles in mid-majors (like a 10-win team winning the Sun Belt.) UConn would be somewhere in the 12-13 range with an automatic bid.
I do not know if you recall. But there was a Georgia team that was under .500 going into the SECT (12-14 I think) and they had to play 4 games in less than 4 days (because of a snowstorm and the fact that the championship was on sunday, they had limited wiggle room). Any ways, in what is perhaps one of the most remarkable 4 games runs outside of kembas 5 in 5 days, Georgia reeled off 4 wins in a row to climb to 16-14. They were given a 14 seed and did a decent job vs. Xavier, even leading at the half before losing by about 10 or 12.

My point is, this was a better team from a better conference and they only got a 14. In the unlikely scenario of Uconn winning the aacT, Uconn would likely get a 14 as well (accounting for the weaker pool of teams this year compared to the year Georgia made it), if not the top 15 seed out of the four 15s. And they would be a very dangerous 14 or 15, one a 2 or 3 WOULD NOT want to see.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Anything less than getting to Saturday would be a disappointment. Get to Saturday, and be ok if we lose to Cincy or SMU. But I think, seeing as the tourney is in Hartford, if UConn Nation comes out... We could make it to the finals. Then it's anyone's ballgame.

Reaction Score
They're bound to give us one awesome game where we start to believe again, right?

Reaction Score
In all honesty, I figure the best case is:
Uconn runs past USF, though not as easily as the last game, I would say 18 to 20 points, pulling away in the end, maybe scoring 75 to 80 points. They build on the first half vs Houston, this time by 12 at the half and learn from the 2nd half (re: what not to do). They improve 2nd half play compared to the last match up. Still, they hold on for a 2 or 3 point win similar in fashion to the second UCF game, in a game that is in the high 50s or low 60s. It is not a pretty win, but it brings Uconn to the semi finals. Cincy gets a surprisingly tough game from Tulsa, "eeking" out an 11 to 14 point win that keeps the pundits off their back because it is a double digit win, but the game is closer than the final score would show and cincy has to work harder than they might of thought. Uconn keeps the game vs Cincy close in the first half, only down around 7 or 8 though this is just as low scoring, I would say Cincy is in the high 20s, doubtful to crack 30. Cincy slowly builds a 15 point lead and wins by 10 to 12 in the end.

Worst case scenario:
Uconn struggles against USF, surprisingly, and eeks out a 5 to 8 point win. They are visibly tired by the end of the game and is starts to show midway through the first half of the Houston game where Houston breaks open a game that is even 10 t 12 minutes in and goes into the locker room up 9 by the end of the half, the lead made smaller by a prayer 3 at the buzzer from probably JA. BYard folk start to think this could be the start to a second half run but Uconn comes out flat in the second half, tired and quickly loses the game. The Houston lead balloons to 25 before Uconn makes it somewhat respectable, losing by 14 to 16.

What really happens:
Who knows? Most likely something kind of in-between those two scenarios.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom