AAC to ESPN+? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AAC to ESPN+?

Reaction Score
Years ago years ago.. Harriet (CPTV) and I talked about a all UConn Network...The idea never got off the ground, but now its a fact of life...if you want to follow a couple of teams it's going to cost you 5 to 8 dollars, and a full package at 50 some dollars a month...
CPTV pays UConn 1.2 million, but the ACC teams will get 7 million...
Having just network TV and no internet (as a good portion of the country still has) you have no idea what Women's Basketball is.....and with the Cable Companies patting each others back they charge what they want to and "Cherry Pick their drop zones..." Out in the woods in Georgia I paying $200.00 for the TV service....
If I were UConn I'd be sitting on APPLE's door step with there new entry into streaming...
Remember every HS school coach in the country studies Geno's every move and self teaches his success...thus they fight to get coverage...and will pay.
What's this TV basketball world coming to..??

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Matt Buckler...TV writer for the Journal Inquirer...says in the Thursday JI.....that ESPN exec Burke Magnus and UConn are expected to negotiate continued coverage of UConn sports with SNY.

Hope he is right.

Reaction Score
Matt Buckler...TV writer for the Journal Inquirer...says in the Thursday JI.....that ESPN exec Burke Magnus and UConn are expected to negotiate continued coverage of UConn sports with SNY.

Hope he is right.
I don't see why they can't just keep doing things the way they do now. Everyone seems happy with the current arrangement, and I understand that ESPN wants control of the content because they just ponied up a bunch of cash to a mid-major conference, but if we're being honest, that money isn't because of women's basketball.

Reaction Score
This money grab may be a result of the State being in such a money bind. It not only involves basketball but it may also involve travelling the roads ?

Reaction Score
I'm going to chime in here from central New York state,

1) I have SNY via DirecTV and I can stream it on computer via my satellite subscription. The past couple years SNY via the web (NBCSN) has sucked. Constantly freezing and other small glitches made it almost impossible to watch.

2) I've had ESPN+ since it's inception when the IVY league switched all digital content to ESPN+. The video quality and stability is much better than SNY streaming. I subscribe to ESPN+ because I'm a sports fan, not just a UConn WBB fan. I can watch NCAA lacrosse, hockey,baseball,basketball or pretty much any other sport out there. Typically the ESPN+ broadcasts use the home teams radio broadcast for the audio of the production.

3) For $4.99 a month ESPN+ is a steal for the amount of content you get access to.

Reaction Score
This money grab may be a result of the State being in such a money bind. It not only involves basketball but it may also involve travelling the roads ?
The deal is with the AAC conference, not the State of Connecticut.

Reaction Score

Hope he is right.
That makes the most sense for ESPN. I expect we won't notice much difference, except possibly on how we view it/stream it/pay for it.

ESPN needs others to cover/produce the events. ESPN isn't going to hire their own crews to broadcast every AAC game in every sport. Even if this was possible, which it isn't, it makes no economic sense at all.

Reaction Score
Sny won't be part of the Uconn picture much longer. Uconn has taken the extra 4 million a year, at the expense of free access to a lot of Uconn women's games. While Sny was part of many cable packages, fans got to see the games without added expense. Now it will take $4.99 per month and you need Apple TV, or Roku or a Firestick to watch these games Sny used to broadcast. How do you like them apples?
Well, since I have no cable package and only get my local stations by antennae and everything else is streamed over Roku, this is a net plus for me (I already have ESPN+).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom