AAC to ESPN+? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC to ESPN+?

Reaction Score
And this doesn't sound good!_:eek:_:mad:

1553706907132.png

Reaction Score
Perhaps now I'll watch the games the day after on that Husky Games website. Then I won't need cable.

Reaction Score
Unless SNY ponies up and continues to buy UConn games. —from ESPN -- which is a good possibility —because that revenue stream would be 1. Guaranteed and 2. Probably worth more than aggregate subscriptions
Sure hope you're on target. However, the Wilpons don't pony up very often. :(

Maybe we need an SCT to take over for SNY. Any interested investors?

Reaction Score
Imagine most of you would think it would be going too far to just boycott the whole espn family until they conduct themselves in a more fan friendly manner?
No more required streaming, no more "whip around" etc
Without ESPN there would be little or no coverage of WBB. I don't blame them. As part of their new deal with the AAC, UConn's conference take increases by $5 million. UConn is getting a raise and somebody has to pay for it - you.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
$4.99/month for 4-5 months

That $4.99/month for 5 months is relative. Everyone here is not in the same boat. I've been paying $13.99/month during the wcbb season to add the "sports pack" to my channel lineup on DirecTV the last 5-6 years, so that I could access SNY.

I cancel it right after the last game of the regular season that is carried by SNY. To me, $4.99/month to continue to view UConn games live is a bargain. I'll gladly pay it. :)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The deal doesn't go into effect until the 2020-21 season- it isn't worth panicking about SNY. They've said they're open to dealing with SNY, so let's see what happens.

Reaction Score
Without ESPN there would be little or no coverage of WBB. I don't blame them. As part of their new deal with the AAC, UConn's conference take increases by $5 million. UConn is getting a raise and somebody has to pay for it - you.

j66: strong points as is usually the case with you. Appreciate those thoughts.

Reaction Score
The deal doesn't go into effect until the 2020-21 season- it isn't worth panicking about SNY. They've said they're open to dealing with SNY, so let's see what happens.

zls: also good clear points. And reassuring for now. Thanks. (I still don't like ESPN though) ( :

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ABC Women’s Basketball:
  • At least 13 regular season games per season, with a minimum of five on ESPN and ESPN2.
  • Conference Tournament Semifinals on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU and the Conference Final on ESPN or ESPN2.
ESPN+ Women’s Basketball:
  • Approximately 160 conference-controlled games per year in addition to those on ESPN’s linear networks, plus the first round and quarterfinals of the conference tournament.
ESPN PRESS RELEASE

Hmm, if the + games are "conference controlled", can we get them to choose other schools and send our remaining games to SNY?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I also read that ESPN will NOT, under this agreement, cover the production costs of the telecasts unless the game is on one of their broadcast channels (as has been the case in the past). So for the UConn WCBB games even to get on ESPN+, someone other than ESPN would have to hire announcers and camera folks to produce the broadcasts which ESPN+ would carry. It seems like that could only be SNY or UConn itself. I would think all three parties would have an interest in someone doing this, and SNY would seem like the logical choice for producing game broadcasts.

So I would envision a deal whereby SNY undertakes to produce the games, and would pay ESPN for the rights to the content. ESPN has an interest in maximizing the online audience for the games, and in fact would have no way even to offer them unless someone like SNY produces the broadcasts. So I'm sure they would be interested in a deal whereby they offer SNY broadcast rights in exchange for their content rights and some cash. That means SNY would pay ESPN rather than UConn for the broadcast rights, but might not pay any more than they are paying UConn now. UConn is being paid through the AAC deal, and might not get any other dollars out of the arrangement.

For us consumers, the end result would be pretty much the status quo, or so I would think.

Reaction Score
A good opportunity now to jump to the Big East in basketball...let football fend for themselves.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe the State of Connecticut can just once remind ESPN where it’s headquarters reside.

Reaction Score
Maybe the State of Connecticut can just once remind ESPN where it’s headquarters reside.
If we had any politicians in this state worth their salt ESPN wouldn't get away with this sheat. ESPN is squeezing us. It should be the other way around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom