AAC reworking media deal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC reworking media deal

Reaction Score
Why is ECU's number so much lower then?

1. The ECU number was based on 45 events a year, not 60.

2. The $15k to $25k Pac Ten coverage is probably for a higher quality broadcast than it makes sense for ECU to be paying for. If HD, P5 can do an event for $15k to $25k, I'm sure ECU can do an event for less than the low end of what the Pac Ten is currently doing.

Those two factors are going to be most of the difference.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Either they're underestimating the total cost of the events or they're planning on putting on events with production quality that's comparable to ECU athletics.

Are high school students in greater Greenville necessarily ECU fans? The A/V club coordinators could be considered impartial.

Husky25

Reaction Score
. In either case, that TV deal is going to involve a significant haircut for every team that isn't willing to put out low-cost trash.
They could get away with low cost trash for a few years at the outset back then, particularly for low profile events/sports, because HD was still a luxury item. Now it's the standard.

Reaction Score
I would think the value of UConn’s media rights alone should fall somewhere in the $20-25 million per year, so if the contract remains at 12 years I would think the new contract would be in the range of $250-300 million less than the original $1 billion...yes, UConn alone was likely accounting for almost 25% of the value of the AAC’s media rights. I guess time will tell. This may be the only time ever that we’re on ESPN’s side. We want them to hammer the AAC in this contract negotiation because the BE conference will be able to directly extract our value to use in their next negotiations with Fox. ESPN dug their own grave and now they get stuck holding the pile of crap that is the AAC for the next 12 years without the biggest piece of the puzzle remaining.

Reaction Score
Either they're underestimating the total cost of the events or they're planning on putting on events with production quality that's comparable to ECU athletics.

When my son was at GW from '09 to '13, home games not picked up by a network (so most of them) were televised on GW's athletic department website. The broadcast consisted of (IIRC) 2 or 3 cameras, and using the feed of the professional radio play by play announcer (Byron Kerr). The costs were minimal. It's not going to look like when NBC covers an olympic sport on the Olympic channel. It will be done more cheaply. But truth be told, there is no reason why East Carolina should be spending more to get its home basketball games on the internet than George Washington does.

Reaction Score
I would think the value of UConn’s media rights alone should fall somewhere in the $20-25 million per year, so if the contract remains at 12 years I would think the new contract would be in the range of $250-300 million less than the original $1 billion...yes, UConn alone was likely accounting for almost 25% of the value of the AAC’s media rights. I guess time will tell. This may be the only time ever that we’re on ESPN’s side. We want them to hammer the AAC in this contract negotiation because the BE conference will be able to directly extract our value to use in their next negotiations with Fox. ESPN dug their own grave and now they get stuck holding the pile of crap that is the AAC for the next 12 years without the biggest piece of the puzzle remaining.

There's no way it's that high, because our football rights -- given our schedule, our failure and our fanbase -- are relatively worthless. If we get $2M a year from SNY for 6 or 7 homes games, I'd be shocked. Fox is currently paying, what, about $5M a year to Big East for everything else? Let's say our mens basketball, given our fanbase and getting back to success, is worth more than the average. Say double the average. $10M? And women's basketball, knowing what was paid for rights within Metro New York, is worth another $2 or $3M. (If our women's rights were truly marketable for $10M, we never would have accepted the AAC paying everyone an equal share without exempting women's basketball.) That takes you to $15M, at the utterly high end which frankly I don't believe. More likely closer to $10M, which is still double what other Big East programs make in TV rights.

But I will be the first to admit these guesses are just a little more educated than being pulled out of my rear.

Reaction Score
If this were the case UConn would be in the ACC or the B1G. The overall value of the contract is likely to go down like many people have said, but you have to remember that 70% of the media value of a TV contract is football. The only content ESPN is losing in this case is two football home games a year from UConn. One of those almost always was against an FCS school and relegated to ESPN3. The conference games are getting replaced. They also didn't have enough room for all the AAC games as it was, one of the many reasons AAC plays weird time slots on Thurdays/Fridays and games on CBSSN.

Reaction Score
When my son was at GW from '09 to '13, home games not picked up by a network (so most of them) were televised on GW's athletic department website. The broadcast consisted of (IIRC) 2 or 3 cameras, and using the feed of the professional radio play by play announcer (Byron Kerr). The costs were minimal. It's not going to look like when NBC covers an olympic sport on the Olympic channel. It will be done more cheaply. But truth be told, there is no reason why East Carolina should be spending more to get its home basketball games on the internet than George Washington does.

I believe the PAC-12 deal specifically stipulates that they can't just recycle the radio broadcast. I'm not sure exactly what the AAC deal says, but ESPN will certainly be setting some standards. This won't be "school website" level stuff. In either case, I don't particularly care how much it costs ECU or Tulsa to put their games on ESPN+. I care about how much it would have cost UConn, who was definitely not going to do that to their WBB broadcasts.

Reaction Score
I believe the PAC-12 deal specifically stipulates that they can't just recycle the radio broadcast. I'm not sure exactly what the AAC deal says, but ESPN will certainly be setting some standards. This won't be "school website" level stuff. In either case, I don't particularly care how much it costs ECU or Tulsa to put their games on ESPN+. I care about how much it would have cost UConn, who was definitely not going to do that to their WBB broadcasts.

There is no reason to think the AAC is going to be held to Pac -12 standards for one twentieth the money. If almost no one is watching, what difference does it make how good the broadcast is. The only ones watching will be diehard fans who will watch what you give them.

Husky25

Reaction Score
...one of the many reasons AAC plays weird time slots on Thurdays/Fridays and games on CBSSN.
All one of them?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If this were the case UConn would be in the ACC or the B1G. The overall value of the contract is likely to go down like many people have said, but you have to remember that 70% of the media value of a TV contract is football. The only content ESPN is losing in this case is two football home games a year from UConn. One of those almost always was against an FCS school and relegated to ESPN3. The conference games are getting replaced. They also didn't have enough room for all the AAC games as it was, one of the many reasons AAC plays weird time slots on Thurdays/Fridays and games on CBSSN.
The Big10 isn't adding a school that makes $25m a year to pay them $60m a year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That had zero to do with the league and everything to do with one Jim Calhoun. But then we used to sell out the old field house for URI and UNass in old Yankcon days too. But why let facts get in the way of a nice story
Wow, you go way back.
By the time I first starting going they'd already done the name-change from Nassachusetts.

How about you lay things out in simplicity for those in ignorance who want to know what you see that others don't.
Maybe you're right..

Reaction Score
The reason we’re in the conference we’re in has a lot more to do with politics than it does our media rights value. We’ll just wait and see what ESPN comes back with, but the drop in the contract will be big (much more than 1/12th). You can also argue that UConn in the Big East is an even more valuable media property than they were in the AAC due to regional rivalries, NYC media exposure, etc. I didn’t just pull the $20-25 M value out of thin air, it’s a pretty close estimate of our value which is why it’s so ridiculous that we were left on the sidelines while the likes of Rutgers got an invite to the B10.

Reaction Score
The reason we’re in the conference we’re in has a lot more to do with politics than it does our media rights value. We’ll just wait and see what ESPN comes back with, but the drop in the contract will be big (much more than 1/12th). You can also argue that UConn in the Big East is an even more valuable media property than they were in the AAC due to regional rivalries, NYC media exposure, etc. I didn’t just pull the $20-25 M value out of thin air, it’s a pretty close estimate of our value which is why it’s so ridiculous that we were left on the sidelines while the likes of Rutgers got an invite to the B10.
At the time Rutgers football was actually competitive and they were making bowl games. That's only one reason they got picked over UConn. Of course AAU status and proximity to NYC were major factors but the fact that they had a better football team at the time was the straw that broke their way and against UConn. Once they joined the B1G their football program moved into a different level of football that they haven't been able to compete with....yet. Rutgers football moving to the B1G is like UConn moving from Yankee Conference to D-1. It's going to take time for both.

Reaction Score
Why are people playing along with freescooter's trolling act?

There's no possible way he's as dumb as all these posts would suggest.
I think you might be underestimating him :)

Reaction Score
Whatever the case is I am excited to see us on Fox Sports. I think they are starting to pass out ESPN in overall quality of the broadcast.

As someone who watches a lot of both, I think they're better. and their streaming is definitely better. announcers are a mixed bag

Reaction Score
Whatever the case is I am excited to see us on Fox Sports. I think they are starting to pass out ESPN in overall quality of the broadcast.
FOX SPORTS took a giant leap with Big Noon Kickoff. Showcasing the major game at noon. When you have Paul Finebaum giving phrase to FOX, when saying my boses won't like it, FOX/FS1 is doing something right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom