AAC Player of Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC Player of Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Let one dude from SMU get a trophy. OUR WHOLE TEAM GONNA GO GET A TROPHY #RISEUPTOGETHER
I could be wrong, but I don't think they give out trophies for finishing sixth in the American.

Reaction Score
all conference teams announced tomorrow. rest of the awards are thursday

Reaction Score
I'll just say this, Ben Hansbrough would not only win it, but deserve it over Boatright this year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
POY means nothing. Luke Harangody and Wesley Johnson had outstanding pro careers...

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What does Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullen, Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony ,Emeka Okafor, Alonzo Morning have in common?

Seriously Nic Moore?

Reaction Score
Hello All, this is my first post after lurking on the board for quite a while. I am from CT and grew up a die hard husky fan (still am). I started watching and following Uconn basketball in 1994 with the Ray Allen, Marshall, Sheffer and Ollie led squad. With that said, I went to college at SMU and am a mustang fan. When I started attending SMU, I never thought I would have a conflict of interest given the horrid state of SMU athletics at the time. Fast Forward 10 years and we have Larry Brown and share a conference with the team I watched growing up. Living in Dallas, I was able to attend the final four and National Championship last year...what a dream...Shabazz certainly cemented himself on my Uconn Rushmore.

Back to the topic at hand, I thought I would give a bit of perspective as an unbiased party regarding AAC POY. Having watched every SMU game except 1 and all but 2 or 3 Uconn games ( luckily i missed the yale game, as it was during a home SMU game) I feel I can offer some perspective that some of you who have only Seen Nic Moore play 2x.

BOTH Nic and Boat are deserving and I wouldn't have a problem either way. Boat's scoring is slightly better, as it has to be to make Uconn go. I would say the overall talent on Uconn is better although D-Ham's talent and potential surpass anything on SMU's roster, he's far from a finished product. Smu runs its offense through the bigs...Kennedy, Yanick and Cunningham can all score double digits on a given night and Moore isn't always needed to go off for 20..but when its needed he does. Nic Moore is the straw that stirs the SMU drunk, he makes the entire team run. SMU couldn't function without him..he is that valuable. He has gotten in foul trouble a few games and when he is on the bench it is as if we have no offense...Moore is also extremely clutch hitting huge 3's in pressure situations...he has a little shabazz in him in regards to the clutch gene and size of his nuts.

As for boat, without him, Uconn would probably be struggling to compete with the bottom of the barrel AAC schools. his ability to get to the rim is unparalleled. However, I don't think he has that clutch gene.

Again, I don't think you could go wrong with boat or Nic for POY, and just thought I would offer some perspective from someone who is a diehard husky and mustang fan.

Here's to running the table in Hartford so I can have both my teams dancing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You must understand something, the best player on the best team usually wins conference player of the year or national player of the year. Except of course, when the best player is on a UCONN
team. Kemble Walker and Emeka Okafor come to mind.

This also applies to coach of the year honors. The best coach on the best team or the most improved team wins the award every time, except of course, when that coach is Jim Calhoun.

While I am a bit jaded, I really don't think Boat did enough to win. He missed all of his game winning shot attempts and the team has been lousy. The only way to justify a Boatright win is to say that we would have been absolutely and embarrassingly terrible without him. I prefer not to go there.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
The only reason it wouldn't surprise me if boat won is because Shabazz won last year and finished on the 4 th place team, each coach has their own opinion I doubt every coach is conferring with the others to see who they're voting for.

Reaction Score
Moore would be worthy of winning POY on his own merits. But there's also no way the AAC coaches are going to allow 6th place UConn to sweep Defensive POY, Rookie of the Year (which I'm assuming Hamilton will get), and Player of the Year.

Reaction Score
POY means nothing. Luke Harangody and Wesley Johnson had outstanding pro careers...
It's a nice honor for anyone who wins the award. There have been many great college players that are not suited to the pro game. It doesn't take away what they were able to accomplish in school. Both Moore and Boatright are deserving. Maybe
co POYs.
For the poster who said RB is counted on more to score. To me Ryan was too economical and unselfish this year. How many games did he spend the whole 1st half trying to get others involved. I wish he chucked it more.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Hello All, this is my first post after lurking on the board for quite a while. I am from CT and grew up a die hard husky fan (still am). I started watching and following Uconn basketball in 1994 with the Ray Allen, Marshall, Sheffer and Ollie led squad. With that said, I went to college at SMU and am a mustang fan. When I started attending SMU, I never thought I would have a conflict of interest given the horrid state of SMU athletics at the time. Fast Forward 10 years and we have Larry Brown and share a conference with the team I watched growing up. Living in Dallas, I was able to attend the final four and National Championship last year...what a dream...Shabazz certainly cemented himself on my Uconn Rushmore.

Back to the topic at hand, I thought I would give a bit of perspective as an unbiased party regarding AAC POY. Having watched every SMU game except 1 and all but 2 or 3 Uconn games ( luckily i missed the yale game, as it was during a home SMU game) I feel I can offer some perspective that some of you who have only Seen Nic Moore play 2x.

BOTH Nic and Boat are deserving and I wouldn't have a problem either way. Boat's scoring is slightly better, as it has to be to make Uconn go. I would say the overall talent on Uconn is better although D-Ham's talent and potential surpass anything on SMU's roster, he's far from a finished product. Smu runs its offense through the bigs...Kennedy, Yanick and Cunningham can all score double digits on a given night and Moore isn't always needed to go off for 20..but when its needed he does. Nic Moore is the straw that stirs the SMU drunk, he makes the entire team run. SMU couldn't function without him..he is that valuable. He has gotten in foul trouble a few games and when he is on the bench it is as if we have no offense...Moore is also extremely clutch hitting huge 3's in pressure situations...he has a little shabazz in him in regards to the clutch gene and size of his nuts.

As for boat, without him, Uconn would probably be struggling to compete with the bottom of the barrel AAC schools. his ability to get to the rim is unparalleled. However, I don't think he has that clutch gene.

Again, I don't think you could go wrong with boat or Nic for POY, and just thought I would offer some perspective from someone who is a diehard husky and mustang fan.

Here's to running the table in Hartford so I can have both my teams dancing.

Why don't you drive to Kentucky and ask the folks there about Boat's clutch gene?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm late to the party on this one, but Shaq Goodwin won the sportsmanship award? That's a flat out farce.

Reaction Score
Moore is also extremely clutch hitting huge 3's in pressure situations...he has a little shabazz in him in regards to the clutch gene and size of his nuts.

I don't have a problem with Moore winning POY beyond the fact that he carries himself like a clown on the court - I'm still mystified he didn't get T'd up for taunting in that first game - but what "clutch" situations has SMU been involved with? Maybe he hit a big shot in February against East Carolina or something like that but any Shabazz comparison is absurd.

Reaction Score
I'm late to the party on this one, but Shaq Goodwin won the sportsmanship award? That's a flat out farce.
guy chirps so much on the court, running his mouth constantly while donning a smug grin. I hate him, made those memphis' losses unbearable.

Reaction Score
I have to say that over the last 2 years I've been impressed with Shaq G. I thought he was a talker but on a team of many punks he seems like an outstanding kid worthy of the award. Just my opinion on what I've seen.

Almost too nice and with more chip he may improve his numbers, or a new coach!:oops:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Our league should invite Lincoln Culinary Institute on Sigourney St to bring the Hartford market and Le Cordon Bleu to bring the French market.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I have to say that over the last 2 years I've been impressed with Shaq G. I thought he was a talker but on a team of many punks he seems like an outstanding kid worthy of the award. Just my opinion on what I've seen.

Almost too nice and with more chip he may improve his numbers, or a new coach!:oops:
Agreed, but I think this is a case of when you surround an average decent human being with the rest of the riff raff that's come through that program the kid looks like a g d saint.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Because every single player who every played in the Big East went on to play professional basketball, right?
Hey leebo good one? Past ur bed time brada

Reaction Score
Boatright should win the POY because he's the best player in the conference. There's really no sense in complicating it beyond that.

If Brimah wins defensive POY, on the other hand, that would be a joke. He's a good defensive player, not yet a great one, and somebody like Jaylen Bond at Temple deserves it a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom