AAC must gain respect 2018-19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC must gain respect 2018-19

Reaction Score
The AAC goes through Central Florida. The clear favorite as of right now. Injuries killed them last year. They will probably be the best defensive team in the country next year.

UConn #2 or 3. IMO

Reaction Score
Houston, SMU, Cincinnati, UCF and maybe USF all are looking more attractive if your looking at a combination of sports to get in a conference. Outside of Geno's teams and women field hockey, what's attractive? These P5's don't care about academics. Academics not bringing in revenue
I wonder what's so good about Rutgers and Maryland. Must be their powerhouse football and basketball programs!!! :rolleyes:

So all the schools you listed are more attractive than UConn? Some of the stuff that gets posted on here actually is brain-numbing.

Reaction Score
Uconn/Hurley is one top 5 recruiting class away from turning things around. I believe he will pull off an elite class within the next 3 years. With the 1nDone likely being done and a two year mandatory if you go to college that could really, really turn things around really quickly.

Reaction Score
I wonder what's so good about Rutgers and Maryland. Must be their powerhouse football and basketball programs!!! :rolleyes:

So all the schools you listed are more attractive than UConn? Some of the stuff that gets posted on here actually is brain-numbing.
Yes to only because of what the P5s are looking for #football. If it were academics and or basketball Uconn would have been selected over TCU for B12 or Pitt and Lvill for ACC and Rutgers for Big10.

Reaction Score

SMU, Houston, USF, UCF all in large cities with growing populations and less harsh winters. That makes them attractive. Academics again, are meaningless to conference affiliation. I don't think we can call UConn a powerhouse anymore in football or basketball, or even baseball for that matter. Football and basketball especially anchoring the bottom half of the AAC is not a good look.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If Frazier comes back to school I think Tulane is prime to make another jump next season. Not to the NCAA Tournament or anything but could get into the NIT. Losing Reynolds hurts but everyone else is back that's worth something if Frazier returns.

Reaction Score
As of now no respect or expectation
AAC has not earned respect.
I'm not interested in respect welfare or nostalgic respect.
I'm fine to fly under the radar. Pretty sure most talking heads picked against us every game in 14.

Reaction Score
Houston, SMU, Cincinnati, UCF and maybe USF all are looking more attractive if your looking at a combination of sports to get in a conference. Outside of Geno's teams and women field hockey, what's attractive? These P5's don't care about academics. Academics not bringing in revenue

Look, academics are obviously not top on the list on importance; however to say "they don't care" is also wrong.

Schools absolutely care about the "type" of school they're associated with.

A top 20 public, flagship school is absolutely more attractive than a "city" school like UC or Houston, or a "commuter" school like UCF or USF.

Louisville is a (disgusting) exception, not the rule.

Reaction Score
The AAC goes through Central Florida. The clear favorite as of right now. Injuries killed them last year. They will probably be the best defensive team in the country next year.

UConn #2 or 3. IMO
2 or 3? Wow. Love your optimism!! Trying to get there myself. Maybe I have battered fan syndrome, but I just want to start by threatening to make the tourni. So what's that? 3 or 4? Please!

Reaction Score
Once again, the Big East is on top, showing it is the best basketball conference. And we decided to walk away in order to salvage a mediocre, at best, football program...
We didn't walk away. But keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night.

Reaction Score
2 or 3? Wow. Love your optimism!! Trying to get there myself. Maybe I have battered fan syndrome, but I just want to start by threatening to make the tourni. So what's that? 3 or 4? Please!
UCF just signed the top JUCO outside sniper in the country. 48% from 3. A TRUE need. Franky B. we shall call him. A 6-5 shooter that can defend the perimeter. He gets maybe 12- 15 solid minutes next year. Could be a really big piece.

Under the radarx3

UCF and UConn...death matches soon. Popcorn worthy indeed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If they cared about academics Louisville would not be in the ACC

Reaction Score
Um, the Big Ten cares about academics and markets. And the ACC wants us now, too. Because of market. So much time wasted typing nonsense.

Reaction Score
UCF just signed the top JUCO outside sniper in the country. 48% from 3. A TRUE need. Franky B. we shall call him. A 6-5 shooter that can defend the perimeter. He gets maybe 12- 15 solid minutes next year. Could be a really big piece.

Under the radarx3

Who did hey land? I saw them at a Juco tournament recruiting an ok dude but nothing special wonder if it was someone else

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The AAC is shaping up for a down year. But that could be a good thing for us. Right now we need to win games. We need a number in front of our name.

Reaction Score
The AAC is shaping up for a down year. But that could be a good thing for us. Right now we need to win games. We need a number in front of our name.

Funny thing is, this is shaping up to be the year that UConn and Memphis reassert their built-in advantages to ascend in-conference

I definitely think UConn will surprise.
Teams all across the country are waiting out a lot of draft eligible players. After that, I think we'll all know what's what.
Cincinnati will be highly ranked if Jacob Evans is back.
Houston will be good with their incoming talent. Hinton is going to be fun to watch. The Louisiana transfer kids are older and talented
UCF is old and talented
Memphis brings back a strong senior group (Martin, Davenport, Mike Parks Jr, Brewton, Thornton) to go with a nice class for Hardaway. Their last signing is going to be interesting
Temple is another year mature. Rose can be the best player in the conference with more bulk. They didn't lose a lot from a team that had some of the most impressive wins in the conference.

Reaction Score

Under the radarx3

I'm already getting excited for the UConn - UCF game which will probably end with a final score of 47 - 43.

Reaction Score
Once again, the Big East is on top, showing it is the best basketball conference. And we decided to walk away in order to salvage a mediocre, at best, football program...

There's no way you are saying that with a straight face.

Lots of teams lost their best players. Cincy and WSU maybe should make it but theyll prove that during the season. I dont really see a problem with this.

That is correct. This is a major reloading year for the AAC. We collectively crapped our pants last year in the tournament. This is the first time the Shockers have done that in the Marshall era and it was solely due to defense. Our defense will be back next year henceforth any future Shocker crapping will not.

If UConn is UConn the AAC will get plenty of respect

This.

The final spot in the basketball power conference sweepstakes is between The Church League and the American. We are trailing at the moment but that is ONLY because we have a couple anchors dragging our conference RPI down while the Big Pee does not. USF and ECU need to become perennial 150 minimum RPI programs - like yesterday - and we will be GREATLY improved as a conference. The secret sauce to the Catholic's success (NCAA bids) is having no downright turds floating around in their conference. They have one great team, a couple good ones and the rest meh. We don't have a great team as of yet (The Shockers were predicted to be great last year but suffered from internal issues), but we have several very good ones several meh and a couple disasters.

T

...:cool:

Reaction Score
Even though you can't see it his face is straight.

giphy.gif

T

...:cool:

Reaction Score
So looking at the all-time NCAA tournament wins in just men's basketball and you see:

#11 UConn: 59 (also #11 in winning percentage)
#17 Cincinnati: 46 (#27 in winning percentage)
#31 Memphis: 34 (#40 in winning percentage)
#33 Temple: 33
#40 Houston: 27

The Big East has:

#10 Villanova: 64 (#14 in winning percentage)
#16 Georgetown: 47 (#21 in winning percentage)
#19 Marquette: 41 (#43 in winning percentage)
#39 Xavier: 28
#41 St. John's: 27
#42 Butler: 24 (#23 in winning percentage)
-Seton Hall comes in at #36 in winning percentage

In terms of basketball performance in the tournament, I feel the AAC has a strong core set of teams. Now add UCF (0-4 in the tourney) and Wichita State (17-15 in the tourney) to the mix and you have a solid conference. What the Big East has on the AAC is history. The AAC is building its history as we speak.

Reaction Score
If Memphis can do as well as they do, so can the other commuter schools.

UCF is already outperforming USF. Exactly what USF fans feared.

Reaction Score
Look, academics are obviously not top on the list on importance; however to say "they don't care" is also wrong.

Schools absolutely care about the "type" of school they're associated with.

A top 20 public, flagship school is absolutely more attractive than a "city" school like UC or Houston, or a "commuter" school like UCF or USF.

Louisville is a (disgusting) exception, not the rule.
There is also a different assessment on academic value by conference
1 B1G very important
2 PAC at one time the academic equivalent of the B1G but has slipped
3 ACC a mix of mostly very good Academic Schools and Louisville
They at one time saw themselves academically on par with the B1G
4 B12 mixed of great to decent schools.
5 SEC schools that will do anything to win at football and Vandy
But even the state flag ships like UT , Bama, UK ,UF are not too shabby.
Remember it’s presidents that determine conferenfere afilation and they are all academic types .
Louisville was only accepted when the ACC when it looked like it might fall apart .
I’m sure the Duke president swallowed hard when lowly Louisville became a peer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom