AAC Media Contract | Page 18 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think we know what exactly happened with the Women's basketball Tier 3 media rights. Did UConn ask for something and not get it? Did UConn assume that since the AAC ADs voted to allow UConn to keep the SNY money in 2017 that they could keep it forever? Did UConn find out after the fact what happened?

I do think UConn cares more about the exposure than the money, but I would think that the value of UConn women's hoop Tier 3 rights is very valuable to ESPN (and to SNY).

For those outside of the SNY market like me, it appears ESPN3 is going away and I will have to subscribe to ESPN+ to watch many UConn games. I'm sure it will be available on my TV just like the streaming services Netflix, YouTubeTV, and Amazon Prime Video are now.

ESPN+ is already in the ESPN app, it’s a different tab than ESPN3.

To your questions: Cant tell if they asked but... if they are being honest. No

They may have made an assumption but that would be a bad assumption and something they should have hashed out the last time it was discussed.

According to them - no they didn’t know and found out during the annoucement.

Yet Boise State and Gonzaga have special deals and OU and UT made one today. But UConn’s women’s money is going to schools that UConn stupidly facilitated the entry for. Tulane and Tulsa owe Susan a solid.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

They may have made an assumption but that would be a bad assumption and something they should have hashed out the last time it was discussed.

Yet Boise State and Gonzaga have special deals and OU and UT made one today. But UConn’s women’s money is going to schools that UConn stupidly facilitated the entry for. Tulane and Tulsa owe Susan a solid.

I know this doesn't fit your narrative, so you won't mention it, but the "special deals" are simply contract length and timing.

Texas is signed up through 2031. It can't be overtaken by this conference move.
Same with OU and 2022.

Boise and Gonzaga should be very interested in what happens with ESPN+ and us, as they're in the same crosshairs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know this doesn't fit your narrative, so you won't mention it, but the "special deals" are simply contract length and timing.

Texas is signed up through 2031. It can't be overtaken by this conference move.
Same with OU and 2022.

Boise and Gonzaga should be very interested in what happens with ESPN+ and us, as they're in the same crosshairs.

I guess your narrative is that you like UConn’s women’s program generating revenue for other schools?

I’m for their revenue getting back to the program that generates it.

Boise and Gonzaga have special deals within their ESPN deals. Technically the Boise deal isn’t a BOISE deal but it effectively is.

Texas and OU did get a special deal - the other 8 schools tossed in their tier 3 rights to help move the title games - and the two programs that generate the money get to keep more of it. Good for them.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The point to argue is that the AAC deal itself carved out a special deal for a school that wasn't UConn.
If you mean navy, that's also a pre-existing contract.

What's going to be interesting is what happens to Oklahoma in 2022. I'd doubt they could easily keep their T3. Hell, it might just be the next CR tipping point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you mean navy, that's also a pre-existing contract.

What's going to be interesting is what happens to Oklahoma in 2022. I'd doubt they could easily keep their T3. Hell, it might just be the next CR tipping point.

it was pre existing as of like a half hour ago. complete garbage.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The point to argue is that the AAC deal itself carved out a special deal for a school that wasn't UConn.

someone should let benedict know he might not have heard. he was off twitter then.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
it was pre existing as of like a half hour ago. complete garbage.

Ok, and it has nothing to do with them being football only either. You really don't know when to quit.

The AAC decided not to annoy a member AND its TV partner for the equivalent of a rounding error.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ok, and it has nothing to do with them being football only either. You really don't know when to quit.

The AAC decided not to annoy a member AND its TV partner for the equivalent of a rounding error.

UConn let the AAC take a dump on it.

I’d say the people who need to quit are the ones who have followed this leadership off a cliff.

Reaction Score

ESPN app is not on my TV. I have ESPN3 as listed content, just like SECN+ and ACCNE. I do have Netflix, Prime Video, etc plus about 30 streaming networks that most on here have probably never heard of. All of it is one click away. I would think ESPN+ will soon be listed content on my TV.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ESPN app is not on my TV. I have ESPN3 as listed content, just like SECN+ and ACCNE. I do have Netflix, Prime Video, etc plus about 30 streaming networks that most on here have probably never heard of. All of it is one click away. I would think ESPN+ will soon be listed content on my TV.

Are you talking about your cable interface and not your TV. I have that too but it’s through Comcast X1 not my ‘TV’.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about your cable interface and not your TV. I have that too but it’s through Comcast X1 not my ‘TV’.
Yes, I was trying to keep the post simple. I have X1, but I had to get a “modern” TV that had HDMI ports so I could upgrade. I also had to upgrade my splitters.

My TV is a smart TV as well and I can surf the internet with it, but I find the X1 interface is much easier to navigate with the streamed content is basically in my listings.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, I was trying to keep the post simple. I have X1, but I had to get a “modern” TV that had HDMI ports so I could upgrade. I also had to upgrade my splitters.

My TV is a smart TV as well and I can surf the internet with it, but I find the X1 interface is much easier to navigate with the streamed content is basically in my listings.

I agree X1 is awesome. It would have to look like Netflix because it’s a separate login.

Yeah I’d expect that it pops up in the interface at some point.

Going to be interesting when Disney is even more directly competing with Comcast using Hulu that Comcast owns 30% of.

Interesting day yesterday with prices going up and the TMobile Tv annoucement which looks to have almost no advantages over anything already available.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
...50% of the time

...you mean "just like the rest of T3 games?" I would try to discuss this, but you seem to like to speak in riddles...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom