AAC Media Contract | Page 7 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract

Reaction Score
It’s either the AAC or a football-less Big East.

Up next is the actual P5 squeezing the weaklings.
This might actually work to our advantage. Squeezing out the weaklings could very well mean we get the Old Big East back.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This might actually work to our advantage. Squeezing out the weaklings could very well mean we get the Old Big East back.

I don’t think they will boot teams - they will go to more like the Mountain West model that rewards the teams selected for tier 1 appearances.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My only question is what does this mean as far as SNY games? Can SNY cover the games that get relegated to ESPN+ as another revenue stream? Similar to the way we do OOC games against low majors now?

If ESPN chooses to do that which seems unlikely since then you don’t have a reason to subscribe.

You can guarantee that the UConn subs are the biggest upside they have out of this jumble of a league.

If people are old enough they might remember when ESPN2 launched... and they put Duke and Carolina on to get people to pressure the cable cos to add it.

Reaction Score
The contract coverage is somewhat similar to what the AAC has now. Of course, it depends on the Tier 3 rights, which I don't know.

Let's look at UConn basketball in 2018/2019:

7 SNY/ESPN3 games (For me, that's ESPN3 as I don't have SNY in Boston)
8 CBS SN games

Look at Tulane basketball in 2018/2019:

9 games no TV
6 games ESPN3
4 CBS SN
1 Cox Sports New Orleans
1 ESPN+

USF Basketball in 2018/2019

5 games no TV
9 games ESPN3
5 CBS SN

Look at UConn football in 2018:
1 SNY
1 ESPN3
5 CBS SN
4 ESPNU
1 ESPN News

I really don't think the coverage is going to be that different, but ESPN3 and CBS SN games will probably now be on ESPN+.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A little time for what?

To make a final decision. They may as well wait until the other deals get done or forever they will be blamed for missing out on the P5.

If Hurley can’t keep them afloat for 3 years what the hell is he making 3 million a year for?

Reaction Score
Got ya. My memory was a little fuzzy.

That Big East deal at $5M per team looks better and better everyday.
Yeah this is basically the death knell for football so why not move basketball to the big east and save it from the same demise being on a little known paid streaming service.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If we could have a guarantee that at least 50% of our BB and Football games are not on ESPN+ that would be nice.

Many others have said this, but looks like this will permanent end CBSSN as the dumping ground for extra content. Yeah CBSSN was "free" tv, but what distribution did it have, anyone know? I suspect a fair amount of households actually didn't get CBSSN...but then again, its far more households than those that get ESPN+.

The AAC deal will kill the CBSSN channel and help free up ESPNU and/or ESPNnews to be redeployed for other purposes. Yes, none of that helps us...just saying.

Silver lining, I will be able to watch ESPN+ anywhere I god damn want too on a platform more stable than those controlled stream requirements vis the FIOS or other cable provider apps.

Reaction Score
To make a final decision. They may as well wait until the other deals get done or forever they will be blamed for missing out on the P5.

If Hurley can’t keep them afloat for 3 years what the hell is he making 3 million a year for?

I dunno. That’s assuming he sticks around. I’m not THAT pessimistic yet, but if he’s not picking up the phone to listen to literally any P5 job right now, then he’s certifiable. Assuming that’s what is important to him.

Reaction Score
I dunno. That’s assuming he sticks around. I’m not THAT pessimistic yet, but if he’s not picking up the phone to listen to literally any P5 job right now, then he’s certifiable. Assuming that’s what is important to him.
He has an 8 million dollar buyout currently. He could have had a P5 job last year. He turned it down for less money. You really think he is looking to jump ship after year one?

Reaction Score
I dunno. That’s assuming he sticks around. I’m not THAT pessimistic yet, but if he’s not picking up the phone to listen to literally any P5 job right now, then he’s certifiable. Assuming that’s what is important to
this news Is driving some of you certifiably insane

Reaction Score
Here is some more info. According to Sports Business Daily, the AAC will get additional money from CBS for some basketball games. Also, it sounds like Navy may not get a full cut of the deal as some of their games will be on CBS SN. So, there is some upside to the ~$7 million per team deal.

One last point. No "grant of rights" so AAC teams looks like they are free to go to a P5 conference if desired. That is worth something.

Reaction Score

I'm not at all worried about Hurley keeping us afloat, I think he'll make us really good within 3 year but that gets us nothing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

He could have skipped UConn and had P5 jobs.

Barring something crazy I can’t really see him leaving in the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
He has an 8 million dollar buyout currently. He could have had a P5 job last year. He turned it down for less money. You really think he is looking to jump ship after year one?

I dunno his games weren’t on a platform with 2 million subs. Just makes his job more
Difficult.

I have no reason on his part to think he jumps after two years. Doesn’t strike me as that kind of guy. But if I had a dime for every time I said I saw that.

Again I’m not that pessimistic yet - but at this point I’d be all hands on deck for the Big East and doing everything in my power to make sure that hoops’ future is somewhat secure. It’s dead in this conference.

Reaction Score
If we could have a guarantee that at least 50% of our BB and Football games are not on ESPN+ that would be nice.

Many others have said this, but looks like this will permanent end CBSSN as the dumping ground for extra content. Yeah CBSSN was "free" tv, but what distribution did it have, anyone know? I suspect a fair amount of households actually didn't get CBSSN...but then again, its far more households than those that get ESPN+.

The AAC deal will kill the CBSSN channel and help free up ESPNU and/or ESPNnews to be redeployed for other purposes. Yes, none of that helps us...just saying.

Silver lining, I will be able to watch ESPN+ anywhere I god damn want too on a platform more stable than those controlled stream requirements vis the FIOS or other cable provider apps.

You don't need the guarantee. Look at what has happened. ESPN has been showing the big draws on the ESPN networks and the lesser schools (USF and Tulane basketball) have been on ESPN3 or not even having OOC games televised.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I dunno his games weren’t on a platform with 2 million subs. Just makes his job more
Difficult.

I have no reason on his part to think he jumps after two years. Doesn’t strike me as that kind of guy. But if I had a dime for every time I said I saw that.

Again I’m not that pessimistic yet - but at this point I’d be all hands on deck for the Big East and doing everything in my power to make sure that hoops’ future is somewhat secure. It’s dead in this conference.

This contract doesn’t start immediately.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You don't need the guarantee. Look at what has happened. ESPN has been showing the big draws on the ESPN networks and the lesser schools (USF and Tulane basketball) have been on ESPN3 or not even having OOC games televised.

I though the deal called for every men’s game to at least be on ESPN3 - but maybe that was just conference games.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I want a guarantee.

Reaction Score
Difficult.

Give me a break

Reaction Score
Difficult.

Again you need to look at his buyout. He signed the contract in a way where he isn't going anywhere in the next 3 years. Someone would have to write us a 5 million dollar check and then pay him. He can even add a year onto his contract after the season wraps up this year because of the scholarship issue.

Reaction Score
It’s perfect for that and soccer. It’s a death sentence for recruiting in football when you’ve already got a nearly impossible challenge.

...I think it’s pretty clear that I’m against this deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom