AAC Media Contract | Page 6 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Because right now people don't think, hey I want to watch a basketball game, let me flip on Amazon Prime and see what's on... ESPN is still the king for sports.

There is no chance Aresco took less $ to be on ESPN+ rather than the king of the world - Amazon. I don't care who your contacts are.

Reaction Score

More like I know people, but you're starting to get it. Think of me as a less casual, less self indulgent version of Chief, but someone who also has real connections in the Athletic Department and doesn't just talk to recruits standing next to me at a urinal.

Reaction Score
The reality is on every level that this should be the last year of either most UConn sports in the AAC or football as a program.

That’s your options. Hang around for another 3 years, you’re dead. Which is it?

Reaction Score
The reality is on every level that this should be the last year of either most UConn sports in the AAC or football as a program.

That’s your options. Hang around for another 3 years, you’re dead. Which is it?
Next realignment is in 3 years. The fate of the football program lies with what happens in 2022-2023

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
God, remember when it was fun to be a UConn fan?

Don't get me wrong the 2014 title was absolutely incredible and unexpected, but I think most fans had to be thinking in the back of their heads, "this might be the end of the road?"

Reaction Score
Can any of the UConn games that are slated for ESPN+ be sold to SNY and broadcasted locally while nationally, they’re on +?

Reaction Score
Should I start preparing you now for the disappointment?

It’s unreal.

Like the world will be chomping at the bit to add a university athletic program that has all its games on the same platform as the SWAC and is just waiting patiently for us to decide what to do with our football program. And that by then, we’ll have any kind of leverage even if they did.

There’s no more time. You’re out of runway.

Reaction Score
It’s either the AAC or a football-less Big East.

Up next is the actual P5 squeezing the weaklings.
There are no good decisions or anything close to an ideal outcome but I honestly don't think it's that difficult a decision now that we know what we're left with.

We aren't getting a seat at the table and football is dead, letting football kill the basketball program simply can't happen.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
are you CL82’s son?
Lol, man you are obsessed with me. I haunt your dreams don't I Whaler?

The deal isn't great. The devil is in the details. If we are keeping the majority of current ESPN games on ESPN cable channels than it is less bad. If they are just picking up tier 3 and dumping it on + that might not be a bad deal for the bulk of the conference. It is for us because our tier 3 content has value. If we lose our SNY games for + we are getting royally screwed. If they are predominantly using stuff that isn't broadcast now... it is a less bad deal.

The money is still the money. It isn't great. Not much more can be said until we have more details. The term is definitely a nut sack kick.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are no good decisions or anything close to an ideal outcome but I honestly don't think it's that difficult a decision now that we know what we're left with.

We aren't getting a seat at the table and football is dead, letting football kill the basketball program simply can't happen.

I think they have a little time if they don’t go bankrupt based on how Hurley has recruited.

They still gotta find a way to close the gap because now they can’t point to this as any kind of fix.

And good lord are the casuals gonna be PISSED. Chief is gonna be schooling them round the clock.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can any of the UConn games that are slated for ESPN+ be sold to SNY and broadcasted locally while nationally, they’re on +?

Contractually they probably could but it defeats the purpose of paying the league to go to + so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Reaction Score
I think they have a little time if they don’t go bankrupt based on how Hurley has recruited.

They still gotta find a way to close the gap because now they can’t point to this as any kind of fix.

And good lord are the casuals gonna be PISSED. Chief is gonna be schooling them round the clock.

In three years, if they’re not in he Big East he’ll be the coach at Penn State or some craziness. They’re just not gonna compete w: recruiting having exposure like that.

Reaction Score
After figuring in the Tier 3 rights and revenues from bowls and the NCAA Tournament the number is going to be a lot closer to $10M than it is to the $4M that you initially predicted. For the record, I actually do have quite a few ties to these media companies and Aresco did use other non-cable media companies to actually sweeten this deal much more than it would have been. At the end of the day it was a trade off between giving the AAC exposure so that it can continue to grow and what the final payout was. They could have received more $$ per school per year from someone like Amazon as I had discussed. The schools ultimately decided that they valued the exposure they get on ESPN over a few million more per year.
Im guessing the $'s would be more if the schools signed a GOR.

Reaction Score

And mind you I wanna be optimistic, but we’re outta cards to play and I don’t think we’ve got much of any time left. It’s time to make a call, I think. None of them are great, but again - we’re outta bullets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom