AAC going to 16, why not? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

AAC going to 16, why not?

Reaction Score
Nope. Not true..
Adding UConn over Rutgers would not have been well received by Big Ten traditionalists, at least.

I ain't worried about Oklahoma having a solid football program. I just know we're definitely in a very good spot. The rest of you can think we're on the outside looking in all you want. We're very strongly being considered by the Big Ten and we're going to find no home in a "P5" setting ever. Ooooooooooook. We're no longer inferior to UMass or Temple. They want to be us now, if anything. So do some P5 schools. (Duh.)

Why am I even bothering to type?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Adding UConn over Rutgers would not have been well received by Big Ten traditionalists, at least.

I ain't worried about Oklahoma having a solid football program. I just know we're definitely in a very good spot. The rest of you can think we're on the outside looking in all you want. We're very strongly being considered by the Big Ten and we're going to find no home in a "P5" setting ever. Ooooooooooook. We're no longer inferior to UMass or Temple. They want to be us now, if anything. So do some P5 schools. (Duh.)

Keep the faith, brother.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

What are you going on about?

Your statement of the B1G choosing Rutgers over UConn because the traditionalists preferrred it is even more outlandish than your theory of the B1G wanting to "keep it slow". The traditionalists hated the Rutgers addition. Not just on social media but in print as well. And I think that they STILL hate it. There's no doubt that most would prefer UConn over Rutgers in their conference.

But that's not why the decision was made. Rutgers was added because of tv sets. Period.

Big Ten Network hits the NYC jackpot worth tens of millions of dollars

"When the Big Ten added Rutgers and Maryland, the college sports world scratched their collective heads. Here were two schools that had little to no previous connection to the conference, a mediocre athletic resume (especially where it counts in football), and a distant geographic relationship with the other Big Ten schools...

...Let’s do a little quick “back of the napkin math” on this massive victory for BTN. At last check, the channel charges a $1.00 fee per subscriber per month for those customers within the conference footprint, which NY/NJ now falls into thanks to Rutgers. Much like the “Is Andy Murray British or Scottish debate,” New Jersey gets to be a part of the NYC metropolitan area seemingly only when it’s convenient to someone looking to make money.

Cablevision has 3.1 million subscribers in the area. Time Warner has a little more than 2.6 million subscribers in New York state, many of them concentrated in the city. New Jersey has a fraction of that at just over 40,000. Let’s just be extra conservative and put the total number of subscribers that will now get BTN at 4 million."

So if the question is "why are you bothering to type", then my answer is "I'm not sure"...

Reaction Score
What are you going on about?

Your statement of the B1G choosing Rutgers over UConn because the traditionalists preferrred it is even more outlandish than your theory of the B1G wanting to "keep it slow". The traditionalists hated the Rutgers addition. Not just on social media but in print as well. And I think that they STILL hate it. There's no doubt that most would prefer UConn over Rutgers in their conference.

But that's not why the decision was made. Rutgers was added because of tv sets. Period.

Big Ten Network hits the NYC jackpot worth tens of millions of dollars

"When the Big Ten added Rutgers and Maryland, the college sports world scratched their collective heads. Here were two schools that had little to no previous connection to the conference, a mediocre athletic resume (especially where it counts in football), and a distant geographic relationship with the other Big Ten schools...

...Let’s do a little quick “back of the napkin math” on this massive victory for BTN. At last check, the channel charges a $1.00 fee per subscriber per month for those customers within the conference footprint, which NY/NJ now falls into thanks to Rutgers. Much like the “Is Andy Murray British or Scottish debate,” New Jersey gets to be a part of the NYC metropolitan area seemingly only when it’s convenient to someone looking to make money.

Cablevision has 3.1 million subscribers in the area. Time Warner has a little more than 2.6 million subscribers in New York state, many of them concentrated in the city. New Jersey has a fraction of that at just over 40,000. Let’s just be extra conservative and put the total number of subscribers that will now get BTN at 4 million."

So if the question is "why are you bothering to type", then my answer is "I'm not sure"...
No, duh. Thanks man. I already know that. So, what are you doing bothering to type when I already know that, too? They wanted New Jersey AND NYC. Wow, like I didn't know.

Things get dense on this message board. You imply that they could have chosen UConn over Rutgers. Of course they could have. But they didn't and wouldn't. The end.

I'm done with this. You guys can type to yourselves, as usual.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No, duh. Thanks man. I already know that. So, what are you doing bothering to type when I already know that, too? They wanted New Jersey AND NYC. Wow, like I didn't know.

Things get dense on this message board. You imply that they could have chosen UConn over Rutgers. Of course they could have. But they didn't and wouldn't. The end.

I'm done with this. You guys can type to yourselves, as usual.

You crack me up, dude. My first reply to you was in response to this below:

They didn't assume Rutgers could bring more TVs in NYC overall. Rutgers was added because it is how the Big Ten expands it's footprint. Slowly.

I simply let you know that this ^^^ is not true. I then went on to link information that further demonstrated that this ^^^ is not true. They [B1G] actually DID assume that Rutgers could bring more TVs in NYC overall! The exact opposite of your statement.

Oh well. I guess I'm the dense one... :rolleyes:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
2017 Oklahoma Sooners Football Roster | Ourlads.com

Without access into the state of Texas, Oklahoma is done. Look at what has happened to Nebraska.

If they go into the SEC, they'll be fine. Easily. I'd be assuming the SEC has plans for a North Carolina school and OU.

This is one of the biggest CR misnomers out there. UNL was on the down slide before they left. They hadn't won a conference championship since 1999 and their only NC during the Big12 years was a partial in 1997. UNL's glory years were in the Big8 when they didn't have Texas access. UNL based their success on great coaching, partial qualifiers and taking players other teams wouldn't.

UNL is 640 miles from Dallas Texas. Oklahoma is 190 miles. Big difference I'd driving distance. Oklahoma has influence on the Dallas market. UNL doesn't.

Would Oklahoma suffer if they left Texas? Who knows? It's far from a given, though.

Reaction Score
You crack me up, dude. My first reply to you was in response to this below:

I simply let you know that this ^^^ is not true. I then went on to link information that further demonstrated that this ^^^ is not true. They [B1G] actually DID assume that Rutgers could bring more TVs in NYC overall! The exact opposite of your statement.

Oh well. I guess I'm the dense one... :rolleyes:
@UConnDan97, I apologize for being cranky. You mistook what I meant, because I worded myself wrong. I know they assumed they might get more of NYC than UConn. But there's no way Big Ten traditionalists would have accepted us as an addition. As a matter of fact, at that time, we weren't even on the radar. I meant they couldn't care, really. But now they know the market a lot better.

Reaction Score
This is one of the biggest CR misnomers out there. UNL was on the down slide before they left. They hadn't won a conference championship since 1999 and their only NC during the Big12 years was a partial in 1997. UNL's glory years were in the Big8 when they didn't have Texas access. UNL based their success on great coaching, partial qualifiers and taking players other teams wouldn't.

UNL is 640 miles from Dallas Texas. Oklahoma is 190 miles. Big difference I'd driving distance. Oklahoma has influence on the Dallas market. UNL doesn't.

Would Oklahoma suffer if they left Texas? Who knows? It's far from a given, though.
I forgot about the Big 8 years. I was definitely way off there.

Either way, I am glad Diaco found a job to humiliate himself more with. Poor man has stressed himself into gaining weight already.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
@UConnDan97, I apologize for being cranky. You mistook what I meant, because I worded myself wrong. I know they assumed they might get more of NYC than UConn. But there's no way Big Ten traditionalists would have accepted us as an addition. As a matter of fact, at that time, we weren't even on the radar. I meant they couldn't care, really. But now they know the market a lot better.

Okay, now I understand what you're getting at.

What I would say to that is: the B1G true traditionalist hated ANY addition. In fact, from talking to some Michigan and OSU fans at my work, it's hard for them to even accept Nebraska, never mind Rutgers or Maryland.

Traditionalists, by definition, hate change. But to the extent that they were going to have to accept a change, I'm feeling pretty certain that they would have accepted UConn much more so than accepting Rutgers...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom