AAC going to 16, why not? | The Boneyard

AAC going to 16, why not?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm watching Colorado State blow out Oregon State in the new (on campus) CSU stadium and I'm wondering about adding CSU, Boise, Air Force, and BYU. We could have:

East
-----
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
ECU
USF
UCF
Memphis
Tulane

West
------
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
Navy
Air Force
Boise
BYU
Colorado State

There must be some logical reasons why this won't happen. Can someone explain why this conference is not possible? I think this would inch us closer to being a P6 conference.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
1) oh my gosh not this again
2) please stop
3) none of those schools have any interest in the American
I would think this conference would be an big upgrade over what they have. And it would be a slight upgrade over what we have. It seems like a win-win. I'm surprised they have no interest.

Thanks for answering.

Reaction Score
I honestly wouldn't be opposed to this, Boise State, , CSU are all great football schools, it definitely would add some strength to this conference. Maybe even put Wyoming in as well since they are solid in FB as well.

Reaction Score
I'm watching Colorado State blow out Oregon State in the new (on campus) CSU stadium and I'm wondering about adding CSU, Boise, Air Force, and BYU. We could have:

East
-----
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
ECU
USF
UCF
Memphis
Tulane

West
------
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
Navy
Air Force
Boise
BYU
Colorado State

There must be some logical reasons why this won't happen. Can someone explain why this conference is not possible? I think this would inch us closer to being a P6 conference.
If the AAC gets a decent contract it will up to ESPN if that want to destroy the MWC
That works both ways

Reaction Score
What makes anyone think that the Western schools are going to leave traditional rivals and pile on huge travel expenses for Olympic sports to make a lateral move to another G5? BYU maybe because they have delusions of being domers.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The MWC and AAC are not comparable at all strength wise. Even the media outlets acknowledge the AAC is by far the strongest non p5 conference. I agree with the rest of your post though.

Reaction Score
The MWC and AAC are not comparable at all strength wise. Even the media outlets acknowledge the AAC is by far the strongest non p5 conference. I agree with the rest of your post though.

I agree with that, but these things are cyclical. Right now, the AAC is stronger, but that's not written in stone. Houston could fall off the radar. Charlie Strong could fall on his face down in Florida, and Cincinnati's new coach could prove a mediocrity. At the same time, Boise could get back to where they were and a few other Western schools could rise up. The only truly elite program in either conference that you can bank will still be elite ten years from now is UCONN b-ball.

Reaction Score
3) none of those schools have any interest in the American

I don't think that is true. Boise and SD state were interested to the point where ESPN and the MWC had to give Boise a sweetheart deal in order to stay in the MWC, once Boise was out the door slammed on SD.

The above could happen but only if a network were willing to finance it. I would love to see it as it would make the P6 claim more legitimate and clearly separate the American from the rest of the G5.

I doubt it will happen but Aresco should be quietly pushing for it if he is doing his job. Strategic expansion (Wichita State) is good for any business and it would be good for the American.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why? For the same reason we won't get into the Big 10?

The existing teams don't want us and there isn't enough additional revenue added to justify it from a financial perspective.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I doubt there is enough money out there to make it happen. Which is the only reason it wouldn't.

Make everyone schedule 2 P5 games and a home field CCG to the highest ranked team, and you have a league that is all but guaranteed the major bowl bid.

But the money needs to be there, at least 10-12M per.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I sure as hell hope that no monstrosity like that ever comes into being. Have any of you noticed that none of the major conferences, or the American, cross over 3 time zones? I do not want 10:00 PM basketball games, now or ever.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I sure as hell hope that no monstrosity like that ever comes into being. Have any of you noticed that none of the major conferences, or the American, cross over 3 time zones? I do not want 10:00 PM basketball games, now or ever.

They would have to go to unbalanced divisional schedules with only a handful of crossovers. Think of it more as a FB alliance between two conferences.

The down side for UConn would be the West becoming a more dominant division.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They would have to go to unbalanced divisional schedules with only a handful of crossovers. Think of it more as a FB alliance between two conferences.

The down side for UConn would be the West becoming a more dominant division.

I think the east is clearly stronger in the alignment in OPs post. But I'm concerned about the basketball side more.

Reaction Score
even NCAA games?;)

Reaction Score
What makes anyone think that the Western schools are going to leave traditional rivals and pile on huge travel expenses for Olympic sports to make a lateral move to another G5? BYU maybe because they have delusions of being domers.
Money talks
If the MW schools could go from 3 million 10 . We're essentially talking FB
They would do it in a heart beat
The Question is after BYU FB & BB and Air Force , Boise , ?? FB only who would you take

Reaction Score
As he said in the OP, it would inch (yards maybe) the conference closer to P6. It would also put more distance between the AAC and the Mountain West making P6 more likely. That would be a very solid 16 program conference. Traditional rivals were foregone by some of the top programs.

Reaction Score

East
-----
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
ECU
USF
UCF
Memphis
Tulane

West
------
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
Navy
Air Force
Boise
BYU
Colorado State

Every time one of these "why don't we add X Y or Z irrelevant school to the conference" surfaces, I get the renewed feeling that someday we're going to share a conference with CCSU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As he said in the OP, it would inch (yards maybe) the conference closer to P6. It would also put more distance between the AAC and the Mountain West making P6 more likely. That would be a very solid 16 program conference. Traditional rivals were foregone by some of the top programs.

What do all the P5 conferences have in common? At lesast one cfb blueblood along with a couple of programs in the next level. Adding Boise, Colorado State or San Diego State does nothing to change the lack of elite football programs. It strengthens the AAC and weakens the MWC, but it still does nothing to legitimately make the P6 argument. It would certainly make the AAC unrivaled among the G5, but you're still arguing tallest midget.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If West Point ever loosens up restrictions, they'd be the school to add.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is zero reason for the American to offer any sort of lifeline to Mountain West teams.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There is zero reason for the American to offer any sort of lifeline to Mountain West teams.

There is if the P5 continues to get more restrictive about which teams "count" for OOC. It's an ugly solution, but it's a legitimate proposal. Yes, the money would have to be there - and maybe it would. I would, however, keep Navy in the East and move Memphis to West.

Reaction Score
What do all the P5 conferences have in common? At lesast one cfb blueblood along with a couple of programs in the next level. Adding Boise, Colorado State or San Diego State does nothing to change the lack of elite football programs. It strengthens the AAC and weakens the MWC, but it still does nothing to legitimately make the P6 argument. It would certainly make the AAC unrivaled among the G5, but you're still arguing tallest midget.
That conference would certainly be able to rival the likes of the ACC and Big 12 in some years. BYU is a Power football program. Sheet, UConn beat Notre Dame in its last meeting. I agree that the power conferences have blue blood dominant programs but even blue bloods sheet the bed some years. The alternative is to live in the G5 gulag. That conference would be much more like the ACC than the Mountain West.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom