You can never surrender
And when the night is cold and dark
You can see, you can see light
Cause no one can take away your right
To fight and never surrender
With a little perseverance you can get things done
Without the blind adherence that has conquered some

Reaction Score
Cap doffed to Mike Aresco who, as Mike Anthony's article stated, has poured his life into raising the profile of this league. Can anyone claim he's been unsuccessful? New media deal will be "multiples" of existing framework, and in UConn's case, the inclusion of tier 3 rights will give us major financial windfall. Of present date we're taking in approximately $9MM/year. Modest speculation says we'll be in the $20-$25+ ballpark shortly. On my wishlist would be 2 changes: adding Army as a FB only (a net win with viewship eyeballs) and VCU for BB only (a top 10 east coast market with a rabid appetite for basketball). The American might not be "P5" (a label that's exclusively FB yet mistakenly used for BB as well) but it's coming.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
New media deal will be "multiples" of existing framework, and in UConn's case, the inclusion of tier 3 rights will give us major financial windfall. Of present date we're taking in approximately $9MM/year. Modest speculation says we'll be in the $20-$25+ ballpark shortly.

You are deeeee-lusional.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cap doffed to Mike Aresco who, as Mike Anthony's article stated, has poured his life into raising the profile of this league. Can anyone claim he's been unsuccessful? New media deal will be "multiples" of existing framework, and in UConn's case, the inclusion of tier 3 rights will give us major financial windfall. Of present date we're taking in approximately $9MM/year. Modest speculation says we'll be in the $20-$25+ ballpark shortly. On my wishlist would be 2 changes: adding Army as a FB only (a net win with viewship eyeballs) and VCU for BB only (a top 10 east coast market with a rabid appetite for basketball). The American might not be "P5" (a label that's exclusively FB yet mistakenly used for BB as well) but it's coming.

I think Aresco is doing a good job in an impossible situation.

He’s head of a conference that no one wanted and that everyone from ESPN to the NCAA to the media has tried to smother in its crib.

Somehow, it’s still alive. But ESPN is about as grotesque a corporation as will ever exist outside of the pharmaceutical or oil exploration industries and they will no doubt try to maul the conference in negotiations. They’ll likely try like hell to shunt the conference to their garbage over the top network and away from anywhere human beings actually go to watch sports.

There’s no chance we end up anywhere near $20M a year in the near term, the middle term or the long term.

Reaction Score
We will never be P6 making the type of money we are. It's simple, start bringing in real revenue and it will happen. Starts with the new TV contract.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think Aresco is doing a good job in an impossible situation.

He’s head of a conference that no one wanted and that everyone from ESPN to the NCAA to the media has tried to smother in its crib.

Somehow, it’s still alive. But ESPN is about as grotesque a corporation as will ever exist outside of the pharmaceutical or oil exploration industries and they will no doubt try to maul the conference in negotiations. They’ll likely try like hell to shunt the conference to their garbage over the top network and away from anywhere human beings actually go to watch sports.

There’s no chance we end up anywhere near $20M a year in the near term, the middle term or the long term.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but where do you think that leaves us? Our current AD budget isn't sustainable. It only makes sense if the AD see a potential light at the end of the tunnel.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m not convinced that ESPN+ is the worst outcome assuming it’s the online content that moves to Plus.

If the cable carriers are going to start playing hardball (and win) like Comcast with BTN - they are going to have to move towards over the top.

If BTN isn’t on Comcast they would lose half? more than half? of their revenue?

We already know the Pac 12 network is headed towards the fate the MTN met.

ESPN+ would give the UConn fanbase the chance to show they are valuable in an OTT world.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Meaningless posturing.

The reality is the actual power conferences laugh at the AAC and it's attempts, and so do the ESPN execs who will negotiate our next contract.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I’m not convinced that ESPN+ is the worst outcome assuming it’s the online content that moves to Plus.
Agree, but the fear is the loss of cable games to ESPN+. The only thing that AAC really has going for it is exposure. I worry about being out of sight, out of mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom