AAC CALL: HC Randy Edsall On Boise & Process Program Needs to Follow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC CALL: HC Randy Edsall On Boise & Process Program Needs to Follow

Reaction Score
The problem is we could start winning multiple AAC titles and even another natty in BB, but in terms of CR, that all means nothing. Football is all that matters.

Football is certainly more important than basketball, but a lot of things matter in CR. We're never going to get in BECAUSE of our football program. We'd get in because of location, market, premier mens and women's basketball teams, and having a good enough football program

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Football is certainly more important than basketball, but a lot of things matter in CR. We're never going to get in BECAUSE of our football program. We'd get in because of location, market, premier mens and women's basketball teams, and having a good enough football program

Location and market are important, but that all relates to football because that's where the money comes from. There was nothing wrong with our location and market during prior CR dust ups, and if BB meant anything we'd already be in a P5 league.

Rutgers proved you could do it without a good football program, or anything else other than cable TV boxes, where you force people to pay for the BTN whether they want it or not. Our market isn't as good as theirs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Drop football" crap is everywhere. I wish there was a way to effectively communicate to those people that UConn is never going to drop football because, unlike some of its fanbase, UConn understands the only way to make more money - either in the AAC or P5 - is to play football. But alas, we have to engage in this endless debate because we haven't carried our own weight in the AAC and it's much easier to blame others than ourselves for our own ineptitude.

Not for nothing but you can’t say that.

They net a lot of money tomorrow by shutting down the football program and candidly any Pres/BOT who doesn’t explore it if things don’t change aren’t doing their jobs.

Reaction Score
So I hope that we can all settle down and dispense with the happy HS of 6 win projections and the meaning of being a true fan. The reality is that neither URI nor UMass offer a big opportunity for a W. At this point in time maybe not even ECU (who just spanked UNC), or Tulsa (who only lost to Texas by 7). That leaves maybe SMU and Temple. We could be looking at one or two wins for the season; and, after watching the BSU highlights (reminded me of what a HS team playing an FBS team might look like -- and of course that is exactly what it was) I would have to say even one or two wins looks a bit iffy. So, to me, 3 wins looks like a real stretch and the idea of bowling next year is almost ludicrous. But let's go to the games and see some football. Eat some good food. Maybe the guys can pull out three wins. It is worth supporting them.

Reaction Score
So I hope that we can all settle down and dispense with the happy HS of 6 win projections and the meaning of being a true fan. The reality is that neither URI nor UMass offer a big opportunity for a W. At this point in time maybe not even ECU (who just spanked UNC), or Tulsa (who only lost to Texas by 7). That leaves maybe SMU and Temple. We could be looking at one or two wins for the season; and, after watching the BSU highlights (reminded me of what a HS team playing an FBS team might look like -- and of course that is exactly what it was) I would have to say even one or two wins looks a bit iffy. So, to me, 3 wins looks like a real stretch and the idea of bowling next year is almost ludicrous. But let's go to the games and see some football. Eat some good food. Maybe the guys can pull out three wins. It is worth supporting them.
Gut check time for fans. This is going to be another hard season. I’d like to see the guys develop and get much better by the end of the season, but that’s a relative concept. We just don’t seem to have the horses to compete. Next year we must get to .500 and Edsall needs to make major changes in the D staff, starting with Crocker. I’m also worried about Dunn’s offense. Dumbest thing that happened was letting Lashlee and Grimes hit the road (still believe Edsall pushes them out).

Reaction Score
I hate to agree with this, but in essence the fans have already quit. I'm not going to the URI game, part of that is a medical reason, but part of it is I'm not enthusiastic about the time commitment for this product at the moment.

I will go to the umass game, and will probably try club seats for the 1st time.

You're right, in that Edsall just has to keep on keeping on, but damn it feels like whistling past the graveyard right now.
Technically, many fans haven't quit. People are waiting for them to get their game right. And hopefully never be Rutgers bad when normalcy is achieved. We're fortunate we've at least managed a .500 record against them in the FBS era.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Gut check time for fans. This is going to be another hard season. I’d like to see the guys develop and get much better by the end of the season, but that’s a relative concept. We just don’t seem to have the horses to compete. Next year we must get to .500 and Edsall needs to make major changes in the D staff, starting with Crocker. I’m also worried about Dunn’s offense. Dumbest thing that happened was letting Lashlee and Grimes hit the road (still believe Edsall pushes them out).

I think we all knew this season would be hard. I think we all knew we would lose these first two games.

We had hoped we wouldn't take embarassing losses any longer.

Next year is the real gut check for fans as we would expect to win games in year 3.

This we is the first chance to avoid an embarrassing loss and win a game. That is step 1.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I think it's too early to worry about Dunn's offense; will have to wait for the season to play out to see what he can do. Let's keep in mind that Lashlee wasn't a miracle worker either. Obviously, the offense was much better last year than years previous, but still wasn't very good. Most notably, they struggled to score points in the red zone. JMO but I don't think losing Lashlee is really that big of a deal. I like how Dunn gets the Tight Ends involved, which has been absent from out offense the last 8 years.

Reaction Score
We're starting all underclassmen on defense. As much as we want & hope for quick progress, the reality is (frustrating as it is because it seems like we've been "rebuilding" since 2011) it's gonna take time.

Don't give up.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not for nothing but you can’t say that.

They net a lot of money tomorrow by shutting down the football program and candidly any Pres/BOT who doesn’t explore it if things don’t change aren’t doing their jobs.

I would agree with that if we were in the MAC or CUSA or Sun Belt. But all indications out of Aresco's/AAC's camp have consistently said that the next AAC deal will be north of what the Big East pulls in per school ($5M/yr). With the Big East AAV as the floor expectation for the AAC's next deal, it makes absolutely zero sense to pay $10M or more (if we want to leave before 27 months expire) so that we can make the same money or LESS money in the Big East than if we just stayed put in the AAC.

If the next AAC deal falls well short of Big East money, then sure, explore away. But I just wish the tiresome "drop football" rhetoric would be put on hold until we know what that is first.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would agree with that if we were in the MAC or CUSA or Sun Belt. But all indications out of Aresco's/AAC's camp have consistently said that the next AAC deal will be north of what the Big East pulls in per school ($5M/yr). With the Big East AAV as the floor expectation for the AAC's next deal, it makes absolutely zero sense to pay $10M or more (if we want to leave before 27 months expire) so that we can make the same money or LESS money in the Big East than if we just stayed put in the AAC.

If the next AAC deal falls well short of Big East money, then sure, explore away. But I just wish the tiresome "drop football" rhetoric would be put on hold until we know what that is first.

No I’m taking NET.

UConn is probably losing 8 figures annually on football. The next contract doesn’t matter - dropping football means UConn’s athletic losses go down immediately.

And I haven’t seen a single thing that leads me to believe the AAC deal is going up 150% either. Not that it changes the math that no football is a net financial improvement.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think it's too early to worry about Dunn's offense; will have to wait for the season to play out to see what he can do. Let's keep in mind that Lashlee wasn't a miracle worker either. Obviously, the offense was much better last year than years previous, but still wasn't very good. Most notably, they struggled to score points in the red zone. JMO but I don't think losing Lashlee is really that big of a deal. I like how Dunn gets the Tight Ends involved, which has been absent from out offense the last 8 years.

We lost Arleen Newsome, who contributed a huge percentage of our production last year. Newsome wasn’t a great traditional back, but broke tons of huge plays and we don’t have anyone who comes close to providing that threat. We also lost Shirreffs, who I still believe is a far superior option to Pindell. BS was a legit QB last year before getting hurt

Changes in production will have less to do with Lashlee and more to do with losing your biggest threat and changing to a QB who can’t scan the field and find a receiver

Reaction Score
UCF and Boise may both be Top 10 teams by the end of the season with an average MOV of 4+ touchdowns.

Really hard to evaluate this team before seeing them play against unranked, mediocre competition. Should they struggle vs URI this weekend, then we know what we have...

Reaction Score
No I’m taking NET.

UConn is probably losing 8 figures annually on football. The next contract doesn’t matter - dropping football means UConn’s athletic losses go down immediately.

And I haven’t seen a single thing that leads me to believe the AAC deal is going up 150% either. Not that it changes the math that no football is a net financial improvement.

Dropping completely? Probably. Dropping down? Not that much.

And wonder what would happen to the overall IMG rights deal if we drop football. The Nike $, etc.

Interesting math.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UCF and Boise may both be Top 10 teams by the end of the season with an average MOV of 4+ touchdowns.

Really hard to evaluate this team before seeing them play against unranked, mediocre competition. Should they struggle vs URI this weekend, then we know what we have...

Boise and UCF are both really good. I think Boise would give anyone in the top 10 all they can handle.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dropping completely? Probably. Dropping down? Not that much.

And wonder what would happen to the overall IMG rights deal if we drop football. The Nike $, etc.

Interesting math.

Dropping down is so stupid I don’t put it past them.

I guess the interesting part is if it’s 5, 10 or 15 million.

Reaction Score
I'd like to agree with you, but when you read all the "Edsall needs to go" and "drop football" crap around here, it's worth reminding a few key people.

Especially after the Boise game (which most already knew) we weren't going to win... The same people who rejoice when the team does well, suddenly want HCRE replaced, heads rolling and the program tossed when things go bad. Seriously?!

Fans are enthusiastic supporters. Fans don't get up and walk out at halftime because UCF (or anybody else) is taking us to the cleaners and the field is full of kids who just graduated HS four and a half months before. In the season opener, our QB and many others stood out because of their sheer effort. But rather than support them (win or lose) many of you began a mad rush out of the stadium starting early in the 3rd quarter. Later, you come back here and complain about rapidly declining attendance and share that YOU are on your last nerve, YOU have had enough, HCRE needs to go, blah, blah, blah. And week after week it continues, full circle. I personally find this attitude and behavior disgusting. If you're so miserable and unhappy with the Huskies, please go now. Take your sanctimonious self and find some other team and coaching staff to trash. Totally deflate some other college football players, who see you leave in droves and read your public posts each week.

And if you stay, then BE an active, enthusiastic supporter. STAY until the final whistle. Be part of a fan base that is working just as hard as the athletes, the coaches, cheerleaders, dance squad, band, etc. to help rebuild and recreate a truly positive game day experience again. It's a fact, a strong, supportive, enthusiastic crowd from start to finish can dramatically boost team confidence and help improve overall results.

Reaction Score
Especially after the Boise game (which most already knew) we weren't going to win... The same people who rejoice when the team does well, suddenly want HCRE replaced, heads rolling and the program tossed when things go bad. Seriously?!

Fans are enthusiastic supporters. Fans don't get up and walk out at halftime because UCF (or anybody else) is taking us to the cleaners and the field is full of kids who just graduated HS four and a half months before. In the season opener, our QB and many others stood out because of their sheer effort. But rather than support them (win or lose) many of you began a mad rush out of the stadium starting early in the 3rd quarter. Later, you come back here and complain about rapidly declining attendance and share that YOU are on your last nerve, YOU have had enough, HCRE needs to go, blah, blah, blah. And week after week it continues, full circle. I personally find this attitude and behavior disgusting. If you're so miserable and unhappy with the Huskies, please go now. Take your sanctimonious self and find some other team and coaching staff to trash. Totally deflate some other college football players, who see you leave in droves and read your public posts each week.

And if you stay, then BE an active, enthusiastic supporter. STAY until the final whistle. Be part of a fan base that is working just as hard as the athletes, the coaches, cheerleaders, dance squad, band, etc. to help rebuild and recreate a truly positive game day experience again. It's a fact, a strong, supportive, enthusiastic crowd from start to finish can dramatically boost team confidence and help improve overall results.
Lame.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

This isn’t Pop Warner.

Relative to the fanbases at major programs this fanbase is as gentle as can be.

Dooley

Reaction Score
No I’m taking NET.

No, not immediately. To leave the AAC, we'd still have to pony up $10M to leave in 27 months. Tack on another ~$2M or so to leave in 12 months. My point: if we're going to cough up that kind of cash, let's do it when we are completely certain of the landscape one way or the other.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I love your enthusiasm and dedication but our football program has been thoroughly unwatchable for years. I still go to every home game, stay as long as I can until my stomach has had enough (typically with a few mins left in the 4Q of a blowout loss), and continue to support...but that's me. Can't blame anyone for not wanting to pay hard earned money to sit through 50 point losses week after week.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, not immediately. To leave the AAC, we'd still have to pony up $10M to leave in 27 months. Tack on another ~$2M or so to leave in 12 months. My point: if we're going to cough up that kind of cash, let's do it when we are completely certain of the landscape one way or the other.

You drop football without leaving the AAC.

I don’t want them to do it but when you are losing $50million a year and the state is cutting your funding... if you are still losing 62-7 3 years from now it has to be on the table.

Reaction Score
Dropping down is so stupid I don’t put it past them.

I guess the interesting part is if it’s 5, 10 or 15 million.

Dropping down is really stupid. Probably a net negative in the long run.

Dropping entirely probably saves a high single millions - I'm going to guess 8M net - but in the whole scheme of things...is that worth it? In the long run - probably not. If we go 2-10 for 10 more years? Maybe.

Reaction Score
I can't believe we are actually discussing dropping football. Geno might hate us worse than his own fans now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom