AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Somewhat contrarian:

Aresco managed to negotiate possibly the most network-lopsided deal in history, at what's looking like the exact zenith of TV rights contracts.

TV revenue has gotten worse
Aresco is still Aresco

I'd be shocked if the next contract isn't flat to a nudge up, and painted as a victory against the TV revenue backdrop. I would love to be wrong.
Aresco was deal a horrible hand. The prior contract was crap - it basically allowed ESPN to match the highest offer or back out. The only good part about the contract was that the offer included a lot of time on actual TV versus internet feeds. We can actually negotiate this time around - hopefully there will be more than one interested party.

Reaction Score
What % does Navy get for football and at top step Wichita State for Hoops? Also is there a benefit to having multiple networks promoting your product with a stake in it's overall success? Throw in possible T3 rights and you come at the viewers fom multiple directions and platforms. Just confusing to fans or a net positive?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Aresco was deal a horrible hand. The prior contract was crap - it basically allowed ESPN to match the highest offer or back out. The only good part about the contract was that the offer included a lot of time on actual TV versus internet feeds. We can actually negotiate this time around - hopefully there will be more than one interested party.
I'm aware of all that. My main point is that it's looking increasingly likely he's about to get a 2nd bad hand in a row, albeit a different one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't have high expectations for the next contract.

The networks are in cost-cutting mode and none of the potential streaming partners are going to overpay for a second-level conference.

The conference has a little more leverage without the right to match, but then again, ESPN has a little more leverage in terms of not having to match some other bidder's promise of exposure.

My hope would be that UConn would be able to retain some tier three elements, but the other conference members have no way to monetize their own tier three property, so it won't be a priority of theirs.

I expect that the next contract will be similar to this one in terms of dollars, but lesser in terms of exposure.

Reaction Score

The networks are in cost-cutting mode and none of the potential streaming partners are going to overpay for a second-level conference.

The conference has a little more leverage without the right to match, but then again, ESPN has a little more leverage in terms of not having to match some other bidder's promise of exposure.

My hope would be that UConn would be able to retain some tier three elements, but the other conference members have no way to monetize their own tier three property, so it won't be a priority of theirs.

I expect that the next contract will be similar to this one in terms of dollars, but lesser in terms of exposure.

I didn't want to like this but, I do agree. I just don't see anyway the AAC sees an uptick in revenues in the current climate.

I think it's going to come down to Aresco picking between similar dollar packages but trying to determine which gives the best exposure to the conference

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I agree as well. While Amazon and other providers may get into the college game, it'll be either at the high end (Big Ten) or super low end on a budget (maybe something to take the place of ASN for the Patriot League or similar level). The Amazons probably aren't interested in a G5 league.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Honest question...is our administration really going to give up our T3 rights because Tulsa, Tulane...basically everyone else, have nothing better to do with theirs?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Honest question...is our administration really going to give up our T3 rights because Tulsa, Tulane...basically everyone else, have nothing better to do with theirs?
We obviously care about T3. Cincy does too. Other than that, we'd have to lobby other schools to block a deal that included T3 rights. For example, if Tulane's not going to get more than 1 mil per year and they're faced with 2 mil T1/2 or 3.5 mil all rights, why would they vote against selling all rights?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Disagree with this part. I don't think exposure will change much and I belive half the B1G contract went to Fox, which actually leaves more spots open on ESPN networks for us.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I didn't want to like this but, I do agree. I just don't see anyway the AAC sees an uptick in revenues in the current climate.

I think it's going to come down to Aresco picking between similar dollar packages but trying to determine which gives the best exposure to the conference
We essentially have a single bidder for our conference. Not a recipe for success. If we got out tier 3 rights back, I'd call it a win but ESPN can make them a part of the deal because, as Fishy correctly notes, no one else can monetize theirs.

Getting back tier 3 rights close to being the most attractive part of the UConn to the NBE fantasy. Yeah, I'd be happy about games with Nova and Georgetown (and Seton Hall because it is convenient) but the $4-7M that we'd be able to get for football, MBB (occasionally), and WBB would be worth nice to have.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
From this article that @huskymedic posted in the Wichita thread: AAC boss talks adding Wichita State, future expansion plans

Everybody felt that our conference was going to have a certain undercurrent of instability. That's an accurate statement to the extent that in the early days it did, and through this whole Big 12 process, no question. But if some schools left, we'd still have a great nucleus, a great core, and now we're aspiring to be a [Power 6]. That's the key. We've beaten [Power 5 programs] in football. We have 19 wins in two years. We have 32 games of over a million viewers on ESPN platforms. That's remarkable. Last year alone, we had a Tulsa-Ohio State game that had four million viewers, and we had a UCF-Michigan game that had two million viewers. Our championship game one year out-rated the Pac-12 championship game. And now the question is, if there's stability in the landscape, which it looks like there is, we've got to try to be a P-6.

And that's where Wichita comes into play. My feeling was if we weren't holding up our end of the bargain in basketball, it would be harder to claim that we were a P-6 conference. And we got off to a great start in basketball a couple of years ago. UConn won the national championship [in 2014]. Last year we had four teams [make the NCAA tournament], this year only two. But we haven't been getting high seeds. That's cyclical. We have coaches in place who are going to get it done. Gregg Marshall will be sitting around a table now with some coaches who have won national championships and gone to Final Fours.

I think [a Power 6] is attainable. I really do. I think these schools have resources. We'll get a better TV deal. That's going to be key. In a few years, we're going to be negotiating. We've got the '17–'18, '18–'19 and '19–'20 seasons left to go, but we'll negotiate well before that. I think our guys have done more with less already.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Found this on the "American Power" presentation released by the conference today and thought this was interesting regarding AAC TV deals going forward: http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.c...17/5/1/AACStrategyGuide_WEB_FINAL.pdf?id=1374

The "Multimedia" slide on page 16 of the PowerPoint presentation contains something I found interesting:

4.37: "Explore putting the American Digital Network exclusively on a prominent over-the-top offering as a precursor to a broader future arrangement involving live football and basketball games"

Is this a sign of things to come with the next "tv" rights deal? Instead of being plugged into cable or satellite is the AAC going to explore a solely OTT option for its sports content? This would be an incredible mistake in my opinion.

Then there is this on page 18:

5.02: "Identify competition for our rights by evaluating traditional media platforms and staying attuned to the latest trends and emerging media platforms in order to prepare ourselves prior to entering the marketplace"

5.03: "Visit regularly with prominent digital and technology companies in order to understand their future content and distribution strategies as it relates to live and pre-packaged sports content"

5.04: "Monitor the media marketplace and embrace new, emerging technologies that will differentiate the Conference from its peers and help it reach new fans"

Reaction Score
The strategy of "over the top" broadcasting is interesting...UConn might need a broadcast partner to create and market an over the top channel.

ESPN is also implementing an over the top channel and has invested their first billion or so into Bam Tech, an over the top provider,

They have made the statement that they do not want to duplicate their cable content....Soooo...I wonder if 3rd tier rights are available to snap up from programs, if ESPN would buy them for inclusion on the over the top channel?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is this a sign of things to come with the next "tv" rights deal? Instead of being plugged into cable or satellite is the AAC going to explore a solely OTT option for its sports content? This would be an incredible mistake in my opinion.

I agree - I don't think it's an option and I don't think they're suggesting it.

I think they're merely suggesting that maybe putting the ADN on over-the-top might be a way to dip a toe in the pool as an experiment.

You really cannot avoid the networks yet - they still have the eyeballs and good luck scheduling home and homes when your games are on the internet.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
People who cite ratings when they play OSU and MICH in FB are not to be taken seriously. How many AAC v AAC games were over 1M?

Reaction Score
I think those high ratings came from the fans for the opponent of the American school than anything else. 4 million tuned in to see Ohio State play. Tulsa was simply the name on the jerseys of Ohio State's opponent. 2 million tuned in to watch Michigan play. UCF was simply the name on the jerseys of Michigan's opponent. In each case, these were one off 7th home games for the Big Ten School. Similar to the arrangements these schools make with MAC schools. These games were part of the B1G media package, not the American package. The day Ohio State plays a road game at Tulsa is the day the American can try and claim those viewers. But that day won't ever happen.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think those high ratings came from the fans for the opponent of the American school than anything else. 4 million tuned in to see Ohio State play. Tulsa was simply the name on the jerseys of Ohio State's opponent. 2 million tuned in to watch Michigan play. UCF was simply the name on the jerseys of Michigan's opponent. In each case, these were one off 7th home games for the Big Ten School. Similar to the arrangements these schools make with MAC schools. These games were part of the B1G media package, not the American package. The day Ohio State plays a road game at Tulsa is the day the American can try and claim those viewers. But that day won't ever happen.

Those teams usually get paid pretty handsomely to play at the Horseshoe, the Bighouse, Bryant Denny Stadium, the Swamp, either of the Death Valleys or any other name school.

UCF was paid $1.5 million to play at Michigan last year. That's a tremendous payday for them.

Reaction Score
People who cite ratings when they play OSU and MICH in FB are not to be taken seriously. How many AAC v AAC games were over 1M?

Cincinnati vs. Houston, 2.159M
UConn vs. Houston, 1.421 M
Memphis vs. Houston, 3.093M
Temple vs. Navy, 2.05M (AAC Champ)

High water mark was Navy vs. Army, 7.94M (obv non-aac game)

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Houston was a great example this year. They had hype from the year before and then they went a beat a pretty good Oklahoma team opening weekend. This is how Aresco needs to market the AAC. Go with the hot hand.

Reaction Score
KenPom's preview of next basketball season
1. B12
2. BE
3. SEC
4. ACC
5. B10
6. P12
7. AAC
8. MW
9. A10
10. MVC

Reaction Score
Gus Johnson, Bill Raftery, and Len Elmore call the games, which is an added bonus.

If you bump to $3 or $4m, for football plus basketball, that is still less than the Big East gets for just basketball.

Come home, UConn. Come home to the Big East.
You cant beat Bill, Gus, and Len

Reaction Score

This seems to give Houston an argument that they are the ones driving attendance in the AAC.

The numbers of the AAC championship game is a nice surprise.

Reaction Score
Houston was good, that drove ratings. Ranked teams get viewers. Remember back in the Big East when Rutgers and UL were ranked and undefeated going into a night game? That game was played in an electric stadium and ratings were fantastic. People just want to see a good game with real implications for the post season. I watched it and I almost never watch those teams.

Our ratings were worse against Houston because we were awful. Cincy was supposed to be good and brought viewers but I think that game was early in the season before we knew they stunk. Navy, Temple and Memphis were all good teams.

Reaction Score
Reading this article, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the rights package will be similar to the first: Disney's ESPN problem comes down to simple math

If the Big East was worth $7m to $13m a decade ago, it may be that the AAC is worth more than $2m. The only question is, does the network value having it? ESPN's people are pretty clear and plain in this article. They are bringing in less money than ever. But they are still highly profitable and that profitability is based on the perception that ESPN is still the goliath in sports. Anything that erodes that perception creates a problem for ESPN. I am not saying that the AAC enables ESPN to maintain its goliath status, but if ESPN believes that retaining the AAC starves FS1 of more live sports, then you can easily make the case that the AAC is worth more than $2m per team per year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is going to be a much harder contract to negotiate than anything in the past. I think the network demand is still there at some level (they need to broadcast sports or they become completely irrelevant), but the AAC needs to be looking down the road 5 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom