A win is a win . . . but man | The Boneyard

A win is a win . . . but man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I miss the early Uconn days, meaning mid 90s to late 00s. The games when Saturday afternoon, UCONN had a significantly low number in front of its name. Games where UCONN would blow out 7 loss teams, where a place that was rocking with sound and hope of a championship run. I like this team, I do, and I believe in Ollie but can we get back to being a top 15 team DURING THE SEASON?

Maybe not this year, but with the return of Amidah and Hamilton next year, plus a new crop of young talent, we can be a consistent top team.

Good win today though

Reaction Score
@BankShot - you might catch crap on here for poopooing the win, but I know what you mean, and I'm with you. It was always fun when there was a single digit on the screen next to UConn's name, followed by an -whipping of a top 25 conference opponent.

We will get back there though, and at least things are looking up for this year's tourney, as opposed to an NIT bid, which was the word on the board just last week.

Reaction Score
G'Town is a strange team. They have 8 losses now, and some are simply unexplainable. But they beat Xavier on the road, played Maryland/Duke/Nova down to the wire, and blew out Syracuse. G'Town is the poster child for this season in college basketball...they can beat anyone on a given night, and also lose to anyone.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I don't know it GT will make the tourney but if they do they could cause trouble.. Just like us. Before we get too high on our horses let's think if we didn't get in the bonus as early, different result today, so I'm saying I don't care that GT doesn't have a number by it's name. They are at least a decent team and it's a quality win. Duke is ranked 20 and has been losing left and right so these rankings are BS. GT sitting well in the BE, a better conference than ours.

Reaction Score
Winning big and winning easily is always fun, but we just don't have that team right now. This was a big one today and I am glad we got it.
The team's end of game giddiness proved how big this victory meant. Even Miller was pumped which I have never noticed him being so enthusiastic. This team needs a boatload of confidence and victories like today inject it.

Reaction Score
I don't know it GT will make the tourney but if they do they could cause trouble.. Just like us. Before we get too high on our horses let's think if we didn't get in the bonus as early, different result today, so I'm saying I don't care that GT doesn't have a number by it's name. They are at least a decent team and it's a quality win. Duke is ranked 20 and has been losing left and right so these rankings are BS. GT sitting well in the BE, a better conference than ours.

If they didn't get to the bonus early, they may have had a few more layups and pulled away. A lot of fouls were on drives to the basket.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Re: getting to the line, it has to be noted at how much our bigs have improved at setting screens. None of them is Andrew Bogut, but all are now able to open up a lane to help our guards turn the corner.

Many posters get on Ollie for... well, for everything. And I agree that he needs to improve his in-game coaching. But our guys have clearly gotten a lot better at many of the "little things" that kind of go unnoticed, and screen setting is one of them. Hedging passing lanes is another. Shooting off the catch is a third.

There's still a ways to go, but there are a ton of encouraging signs.

Reaction Score
We all miss the old BE but it doesn't diminish today's win. We didn't shoot well in the second half but this team looks much different from the one that we all were bitching about a few games ago. It's really been a team effort. I especially applaud Phil who I was really down on early and thought shouldn't see the court except in a blowout. I'm eating crow and enjoying it. Better than turkey

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If Georgetown wasn't unconscious on three and we got away from going inside for 5-6 minutes to foul out their big guys, we'd have won by 15 today.

Reaction Score
Only 4 FGs in 2H: Phil at 12:48, SM at 5:38, RP at 5:01, and SM at 2:11. But 20 made free throws. 28 pts.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Many posters get on Ollie for... well, for everything. And I agree that he needs to improve his in-game coaching. But our guys have clearly gotten a lot better at many of the "little things" that kind of go unnoticed, and screen setting is one of them. Hedging passing lanes is another. Shooting off the catch is a third.

The point I don't understand vis a vis Ollie is that many posters expect him to be proficient as everything (especially at what Jim did). Guy is only 43 and has only coached for 3.5 years as an HC, 5.5 years total. Wouldn't you expect him to have a ton to work on? Given all that, the potential for growth there is very high at this point. pun.

Reaction Score
You miss UConn "blowing out 7 loss teams"...do you realize we had five losses coming into this game?????

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You miss UConn "blowing out 7 loss teams"...do you realize we had five losses coming into this game?????

I think that was the OP's point. Our regular season record (and thus our ranking) the last 5 years or so hasn't been what it was in the decade or so preceding that.

Reaction Score
Only 4 FGs in 2H: Phil at 12:48, SM at 5:38, RP at 5:01, and SM at 2:11. But 20 made free throws. 28 pts.

Put back layup
Jump hook in paint
Fast break layup
Layup when defender flopped

All paint points. Not a single jumper went in.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
9-31 is hardly unconscious.
Yeah, but many of those misses were late when they were trying to catch us. It seemed like they were better than they were because they always seemed to be open. Allowing 9 threes is a lot. Ok, maybe 'unconscious' was the wrong word.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This team will not blow out teams like GTown this year, hell they struggle vs. Tulsa
But a win today could propel this team into some more positive emotions - that is needed.
If anyone could say they were confident that UConn would win today I would be amazed.
Face it, this team is fragile, KO knows that.
I was happy how they clamped down on the D in the last 2-3 minutes BUT in typical 2015-16 UConn tradition, SG, the auto FT man misses 3 - go figure.
This year continues to be an emotional rollercoaster
My biggest hope is that DHam finds his shot - real soon
This was/is a BIG win.

Reaction Score
Put back layup
Jump hook in paint
Fast break layup
Layup when defender flopped

All paint points. Not a single jumper went in.

Looking at this you wonder how much we lost by huh? Crazy game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer