A Telling JA Quote | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Telling JA Quote

Reaction Score
We can start by stop bringing up Kemba and Shabazz in relation to him. This isn't directed at you but every day people post that he hasn't reached Kemba and Bazz, unfortunately for us and for Jalen he hasn't reached near the upper echelon of UConn players.

He's Jerome Dyson without the winning, Dyson had the benefit of playing with much better players.
Did Jerome take games off? The Jerome I remember played in one gear.

Reaction Score
There are a ton of guards who weren't Kemba, Napier or Ray, who stepped up to carry the mantle.

JA has the game, he lacks focus or game smarts. Whether that is not putting in the work, not trying to get better, or whatever 'it' is that made a succession of guys an Alpha guard over the years.

The only forgivable version of 'it' is not being coached by JC. He had no choice in that.

Yup. Remember Craig Austrie? Not a GREAT athlete, not a GREAT scorer, but a SUPERGREAT leader who knew his place on the court.

Reaction Score
As it relates to his answer regarding pressure, I don't understand what he is saying or trying to say. Can someone please interpret this quote?

"I know that if I am not feeling it, they will try and take over, and if I am feeling it they will feed me."

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
1. I think he passes too damned much.

2. He says he has to pass more.

Jesus help us.

Reaction Score
He reminds me of Tony Robertson. Flashes of greatness, ability to take over, great physical skills. Just doesn't have the motor.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yup. Remember Craig Austrie? Not a GREAT athlete, not a GREAT scorer, but a SUPERGREAT leader who knew his place on the court.

Sitting on a chair next to it?

C

Chief00

I never questioned Jerome’s in game effort, I did question his game prep and ability to integrate into a team. The foot on the out of bounds line used to drive George Blaney more crazy than Jim Calhoun. George said as a player he never stood out of bounds due to lack of awareness of where he was on the court.
It took the 9 turnover USF game for Calhoun to acknowledge Chief had a point - when afterwards he talked about game prep deficiencies. However, Chief thought he understood why Calhoun had a blind spot for Jerome and Chief was fine with it. The blind spot was for all the right reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
No, Jerome always played hard and was tough, can't say the same for Jalen. I meant more they are similar in terms of how good they are at UConn.

Jalen has more ability around the rim, Jerome would try and dunk on your head while Jalen can be really smooth around the rim but does everything possible to not get fouled.

They are similar in that they are both suited to be the third option on a really good team. Jerome was at his best when he just fit into his role in the season where he went down with injury, when he had to be the man he couldn't do it. Jalen has always been asked to be the man and he could never do it. While their games aren't the same they are really similar in that they both can't really shoot, they turn it over far too much and they are players that need to blend in instead of lead.

Reaction Score
Craig Austrie? That name will never die.....

Dyson is a bad comparison, too. Dude was a running back

This:
Jalen has more ability around the rim, Jerome would try and dunk on your head while Jalen can be really smooth around the rim but does everything possible to not get fouled.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
some of these statements just crack me up
Reminds one of Tony Robertson
Don't insult Boat

Blah blah
JA was brought in to be an important part of a team - a part - not the Whole engine
I guess what he did as a sophomore and Junior is a distant memory
Was Boat and Tony ever 1st or 2nd team all league?
Where they forced to be the focal point of the total offense their 2nd and 3rd year?
Did JA or does JA have the same caliber of players surrounding him as Bazz, Robertson and other great guards of UConn's past
For sure Bazz and Kemba had huge gonads and lead their teams to glory but the players surrounding and supporting them were quite a step up from who JA has been playing along side
His display in Hawaii during his sophomore year was nothing short of fantastic and has great performances before and since
This year is different, DH wants the ball in AG's hand (something that JA was to experience but never has) and JA has to tailor his game to be the off guard vs the point
No - he is not Kemba or Bazz and if you talk to him he doesn't even come across like those legends.
Boat was good but Bazz made him better and we all saw what the team was like when Boat ran the show in 2014-15
Different casts, different times and different make-up
a big factor - losing consecutive years within a blueblood program has to play head games with the best of players
No he hasn't led UConn to the promised land but with what he has had to play with I doubt many very good players could carry those teams
JA is not without fault or is free from critical appraisal but he is better than some have portrayed
I'm not happy at all with the results the past 3 years but JA cannot, in my mind, be held responsible
I would love to see him go out with huge conference performance and make some good money somewhere playing ball

Reaction Score
some of these statements just crack me up
Reminds one of Tony Robertson
Don't insult Boat

Blah blah
JA was brought in to be an important part of a team - a part - not the Whole engine
I guess what he did as a sophomore and Junior is a distant memory
Was Boat and Tony ever 1st or 2nd team all league?
Where they forced to be the focal point of the total offense their 2nd and 3rd year?
Did JA or does JA have the same caliber of players surrounding him as Bazz, Robertson and other great guards of UConn's past
For sure Bazz and Kemba had huge gonads and lead their teams to glory but the players surrounding and supporting them were quite a step up from who JA has been playing along side
His display in Hawaii during his sophomore year was nothing short of fantastic and has great performances before and since
This year is different, Dan Hurley wants the ball in AG's hand (something that JA was to experience but never has) and JA has to tailor his game to be the off guard vs the point
No - he is not Kemba or Bazz and if you talk to him he doesn't even come across like those legends.
Boat was good but Bazz made him better and we all saw what the team was like when Boat ran the show in 2014-15
Different casts, different times and different make-up
a big factor - losing consecutive years within a blueblood program has to play head games with the best of players
No he hasn't led UConn to the promised land but with what he has had to play with I doubt many very good players could carry those teams
JA is not without fault or is free from critical appraisal but he is better than some have portrayed
I'm not happy at all with the results the past 3 years but JA cannot, in my mind, be held responsible
I would love to see him go out with huge conference performance and make some good money somewhere playing ball
Jalen actually was brought in to be the engine.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Don’t want to crucify the kid but damn Jalen enough is enough already you ve been here 4 years- the young puppies need u.
You are time-stamped for 8:04, 8:08, & 8:09 on pretty much the same vibe. It's like you're whacking at a piñata.

Claiming you're after something less than crucifixion isn't saying much. I'm not sure whether to suggest you start drinking, stop drinking, or have a few more, but I just don't think the candy's coming your way tonight.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
He reminds me of Tony Robertson. Flashes of greatness, ability to take over, great physical skills. Just doesn't have the motor.

That's because Tony hit mad splifs.

Reaction Score
We can start by stop bringing up Kemba and Shabazz in relation to him. This isn't directed at you but every day people post that he hasn't reached Kemba and Bazz, unfortunately for us and for Jalen he hasn't reached near the upper echelon of UConn players.

He's Jerome Dyson without the winning, Dyson had the benefit of playing with much better players.[/
As it relates to his answer regarding pressure, I don't understand what he is saying or trying to say. Can someone please interpret this quote?

"I know that if I am not feeling it, they will try and take over, and if I am feeling it they will feed me."
if I’m hot
Nothing wrong with the quote he, isn't built the same as Bazz, Kemba or Boat it is what it is.
Bazz and Kemba played with much better casts.
In his sophomore year JA got 198 assists in 32 games playing with Vital and Jackson.
That’s top 5 all time in UConn History
Tied with Kemba 2011 but It took KW 42 games. He apparently invented hero ball .
His Jr year the team was this years team with less experience but he was suppose to make it great.
His senior year his coach gets fired and he is playing the 2 .
How could this kid lose his taste for BB?
UConn failed JA not the other way around.
Jalen actually was brought in to be the engine.
An engine without wheels won’t get you very far.

Reaction Score
if I’m hot.
Thanks I couldn't see how it connected to pressure. With that said, he's talking like he's an underclassmen. There is no tomorrow. Hot or not find a way to contribute to a win, instead of deferring or worse waiting until he feels it. That's one aspect of Vital's game I love (and different from Jalen's). He doesn't need to score a lot, make 3s or be 'hot', to make a difference or even be heard (including verbally). He looks for ways to help the team at all times.

Reaction Score
I never questioned Jerome’s in game effort, I did question his game prep and ability to integrate into a team. The foot on the out of bounds line used to drive George Blaney more crazy than Jim Calhoun. George said as a player he never stood out of bounds due to lack of awareness of where he was on the court.
It took the 9 turnover USF game for Calhoun to acknowledge Chief had a point - when afterwards he talked about game prep deficiencies. However, Chief thought he understood why Calhoun had a blind spot for Jerome and Chief was fine with it. The blind spot was for all the right reasons.
I wish I saw Jerome play football in high school. I would imagine he was pretty good. He was/is an incredible athlete who is still playing quality basketball oveseas. Even in his brief stint in the nba I thought he played well. Not sure why(maybe I am more like Calhoun than I thought :) ) bought I always was a big fan of Jerome Dyson.

Reaction Score
Nothing in the quote says he sometimes takes games off. "Not feeling it" simply refers to being cold from the field. That does happen.

IfJalen had a supporting cast, he still wouldn't be a Kemba and Napier. Why? Because those guys are incredibly rare. But Jalen would be a guy we were praising in the pantheon of UConn guards.

Reaction Score
Nothing in the quote says he sometimes takes games off. "Not feeling it" simply refers to being cold from the field. That does happen.

IfJalen had a supporting cast, he still wouldn't be a Kemba and Napier. Why? Because those guys are incredibly rare. But Jalen would be a guy we were praising in the pantheon of UConn guards.
He sometimes takes games off because we've seen him sometimes take games off.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm going to continue preaching the point I've been going on all season - Jalen Adams is not a 2. With Alterique at the point, he's playing off the ball for the first significant amount of time in his college career - as a senior no less. When playing the point, he's in a more secure headspace and can go with a plan and execute. When his shots weren't falling, he could still be an asset by becoming a facilitator for the other guys. That brings us to his quote. If a shooting guard isn't hitting and isn't getting much time handling the ball, there's not much he can do on offense.

To tell the truth, he was hurt more than anyone else by the KO years. Not by Ollie specifically, but just the whole set of circumstances that took place during Jalen's first three years. Now in his senior season, he's being thrust into a very different role and is having trouble making the adjustment.

Someone said that Adams is like Dyson without the wins. That's close - a more apt analogy would be Dyson without the wins while also being switched to the point in his senior year. JA isn't blameless, but he came in with huge expectations thrown at him from all angles and had more booby traps along the way than any other player I can think of. He still needs to get it together mentally and realize the seriousness and immediacy of his situation. That being said, he's quite possibly the biggest example of "wrong place, wrong time" I've seen in my 30+ years as a college basketball fan.

Reaction Score
I'm going to continue preaching the point I've been going on all season - Jalen Adams is not a 2. With Alterique at the point, he's playing off the ball for the first significant amount of time in his college career - as a senior no less. When playing the point, he's in a more secure headspace and can go with a plan and execute. When his shots weren't falling, he could still be an asset by becoming a facilitator for the other guys. That brings us to his quote. If a shooting guard isn't hitting and isn't getting much time handling the ball, there's not much he can do on offense.

To tell the truth, he was hurt more than anyone else by the KO years. Not by Ollie specifically, but just the whole set of circumstances that took place during Jalen's first three years. Now in his senior season, he's being thrust into a very different role and is having trouble making the adjustment.

Someone said that Adams is like Dyson without the wins. That's close - a more apt analogy would be Dyson without the wins while also being switched to the point in his senior year. JA isn't blameless, but he came in with huge expectations thrown at him from all angles and had more booby traps along the way than any other player I can think of. He still needs to get it together mentally and realize the seriousness and immediacy of his situation. That being said, he's quite possibly the biggest example of "wrong place, wrong time" I've seen in my 30+ years as a college basketball fan.
I think Jalen isn’t really a true PG though, I think he’s a kid who’s a combo & been asked to play PG for a large percentage of his career. He’s been able to get by w/ good athleticism/craft for the position, but to call him a true PG isn’t correct. Lots will point at his assist totals as to why he’s a PG and “creates for others” but in all actuality, lots of this assists are bail outs for failed ISO ball leading to a made low percentage shot at the end of a shot clock. (Specifically year 2/3)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Holy Christ - the KW/SN comparison have been there from when he was being recruited to ignore that is absurd - it is what it is and that DOES influence peoples perceptions - should it no, does it yes.

It was absurd for people to have thought that and I never understood it, perhaps because I'm involved in recruiting and have been in the sports media business for a long time I get how goofy these things are.

That's what he was saying. He was hoping to,not ignore it, but to finally move past it. Because it's never going to materialize. Yet, people keep bringing it up, doing the kid no favors.

Most guards are kinda screwed here after having Kemba/Bazz nearly back to back. Nowhere to go but down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom