A strong stomach is needed for this journey | The Boneyard

A strong stomach is needed for this journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tough, tough game to watch tonight. Just awful. Being a UConn football fan is not for the weak at heart.

This is going to be a 2-3 year process. It's painfully obvious our OL is not very good and not very deep. It's not to say they won't get better, but for the foreseeable future it's going to be painful. Very little OL experience, with a new OC and new head coach is not a recipe for quick success. Foley didn't get stupid overnight so I don't think this falls on him.

A monsoon with your first road game, an inexperienced OL and thin at QB is a tough game to win. If we weren't pinned back so much I think we pass more.

People are free to say whatever they want on this board for sure. But my goodness...less alcohol and 10 seconds to think about what you post, BEFORE you post, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm scratching my head with some of the things HCBD is saying and doing but I'll say this. He may be a new HC, but he's not stupid and has been recognized as a top flight DC. With the HC's he's been around I have to believe he has a plan.

It's not easy to wait for the results. He inherited a thole and it's apparent we are lacking in talent at some important positions.

I can't believe it can get uglier than tonight, but there certainly is that possibility.

He gets more than 4 games from me. If you don't have a strong stomach, you might want to wait for BB season. It's right around the corner.

Me....I'll see you guys at the Temple game. We never no when we get a crap game like tonight and we don't know when that exciting win will show up. I will be there for both types. Just like most all of you guys.

A microwave society is tough to live in when you are a UConn football fan. :cool:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree. It is going to take time with the players at UCONN at this time. The defense is solid, but the offense is offensive.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree with you. It's going to be a long process to dig completely out of the Pasqualoni mess. The urgency is heightened from CR stress. I get really stressed and anxious after games like tonight, on national TV, and we look like that. We're a national joke on social media right now and have been for the past 4 hours. Was really hoping for a bowl this year (I've given up on that now) for a chance to show a pulse. But another 3 win campaign coupled with the coming attendance drop will cement our AAC stay even longer, I'm afraid.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Very few expected this team to win more than 3 or 4 games. It is still difficult to swallow when you watch a game like this and are left scratching your head about a lot of decisions.

Still, I will be at the Rent for every home game the rest of the way and will in all likelihood go to the Army game. It's a commitment. One I'm not thrilled about right now but you have to keep hope that it will improve in the next two years.

If it takes 2 years to get back to decent football we can go from winning 3 games to winning 9 games in one offseason. The conference is not good. It won't be too late to start ripping off good seasons and get an invite to a better conference after mixing in a 10-2 campaign. We just have to duck*ing do it.

Reaction Score
What's worse? Watching the brutal game, then trying to sleep through the night? Or, waking up on Saturday morning and then thinking about the mess throughout the day?

Our Huskies will struggle throughout this season. Thanks Hathaway, McHugh, Pasqualoni, and DeLeone. However, the positive is our UCONN grinders are expected to bottom out this year and gradually begin to move toward more success. Just my perspective, and a glass half full or so opinion. Unlike today's game, we'll also have a few healthy and eligible QBs for spring practice. Progress! ;)

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Remember that scene from the end of 'Remember The Titans' when the coach takes all his best defensive players and puts them on offense?

I ain't saying, I'm just saying...

Reaction Score
I'm supportive. But canceling the rest of my life for these games is getting harder by the week. I'm never going away and I'm never going to stop buying tickets but when faced with scheduling conflicts...

Reaction Score
With how bad our offense stunk we gave up 17 points. There is hope in that because this could have been 35 to zip or worse. On Whitmer's 1st Q strip sack fumble the D line did an end tackle twist which totally drew the attention of our left T and G. The USF player outside their D end ran in unopposed. Our back was too tight inside to block him. Our game long poor field position, resulted in the staff trying to prevent the next strip sack disaster, was a strategy I could understand. We are a fragile team on offense and could improve as the season goes on. For those that think the HC is at fault it is not like we are a stacked team that is failing, I agree about the patience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When we used to get stomped by WVU and GT etc I never felt this way. Now we are losing to mediocre or bad teams. And looking awful doing it.

Reaction Score
When we used to get stomped by WVU and GT etc I never felt this way. Now we are losing to mediocre or bad teams. And looking awful doing it.

Fundamentals.

Blocking and Tackling.

Reaction Score
WE SUCK A LOT OF DICK, there its the simplest way to put it.

Reaction Score
What's worse? Watching the brutal game, then trying to sleep through the night? Or, waking up on Saturday morning and then thinking about the mess throughout the day?

Our Huskies will struggle throughout this season. Thanks Hathaway, McHugh, Pasqualoni, and DeLeone. However, the positive is our UCONN grinders are expected to bottom out this year and gradually begin to move toward more success. Just my perspective, and a glass half full or so opinion. Unlike today's game, we'll also have a few healthy and eligible QBs for spring practice. Progress! ;)
I would add Diaco to that list. He did not instill confidence tonight. Before the season started I was trying to decide if Diaco was used car salesman or Kevin Ollie. I am leaning right now towards the used car salesman. God I hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
That might have been the game plan.

"Boys, we're gonna go out there and we're just gonna suck a lot of dick on both sides of the ball and with God's help, we will be victorious."

Rookie mistake - Diaco will figure it out.
Thanks for the moment of levity on a Saturday Morning. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score

Yeh, but we're still "tappin the rock." I guess....

Reaction Score
Remember that scene from the end of 'Remember The Titans' when the coach takes all his best defensive players and puts them on offense?

I ain't saying, I'm just saying...

Isn't it the other way around? Doesn't he put Sunshine and the offense on defense? Maybe I'm wrong. My mind is still cloudy after last night.

One thing is for sure, turning on any game today and seeing an 0-line that can block the people lined up 3 feet away from them is going to be infuriating.

Reaction Score
I agree. It is going to take time with the players at UCONN at this time. The defense is solid, but the offense is offensive.

The defense had its own issues, no where near as bad as the offense. Our D on 3rd/4th and long needs tweaking. Obi needs something.

Reaction Score
This could be the most undisciplined UCONN team in the history of the school (let that sink in for a bit after the train wreck of Coach P's tenure). The offense plays with a complete lack of passion, the only lineman I see with a hint of aggression is Alex Mateas, and the coaching staff seems more intent on smiling when a player makes a boneheaded penalty, then teaching the player a lesson.

With that said - I will never, ever, give up on a UCONN football team. This will get turned around.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
South Florida is terrible. Stony Brook is a mediocre/bad FCS team. BYU could have beaten UConn 70-7 but Mendenhall is too classy to embarrass UConn. A 17 point loss to Boise is the high point of the season so far.

Reaction Score
The offense plays with a complete lack of passion, the only lineman I see with a hint of aggression is Alex Mateas, ...

Mateas is the only who doesn't seem to get beat on a constant basis nor called for false starts or holding. I do think the rest of the line is trying and putting in (at least SOME) effort, but when you see play after play after play where an outside lineman goes straight to the QB untouched, its frustrating. The Tackles HAVE to do better with their blocking assignments.

Reaction Score
The morning after I'm still angry not dissapointed but fuming with anger.

Reaction Score
With how bad our offense stunk we gave up 17 points. There is hope in that because this could have been 35 to zip or worse. On Whitmer's 1st Q strip sack fumble the D line did an end tackle twist which totally drew the attention of our left T and G. The USF player outside their D end ran in unopposed. Our back was too tight inside to block him. Our game long poor field position, resulted in the staff trying to prevent the next strip sack disaster, was a strategy I could understand. We are a fragile team on offense and could improve as the season goes on. For those that think the HC is at fault it is not like we are a stacked team that is failing, I agree about the patience.
My thoughts exactly. HCBD called an extremely conservative game due to poor field position. Another turnover in poor field position turns game into a rout. They just tried to battle their way out of poor field position with conservative running plays. When the game was over, and with USF in prevent, we took chances and it worked but, it easily could have been an INT or a fumble instead. CW is known to do that, ya think? No loss is a good loss, but there were some positives for a rebuilding team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom