A Special Moment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Special Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Diana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skylar

There aren't enough "greater than" signs, really.

The thing that annoyed me about Skylar is that she has the swagger of a player with national championships, NPOY awards, etc., but never did any of those things. She's a very good player who thinks she's D or Candace. She's just not.

I will give her credit for losing graciously, however. That is not easy to do.
I'm not comparing their talent; I'm comparing the attitude. Notre Dame is young a team with only two seniors, one that lost 3 starters to graduation. In addition, it has only 3 players over 6 feet; heck, it only has 3 forwards and 7 guards yet the Irish were able to beat UConn and its coterie of big girls three times this season. Skylar Diggins and her "attitude" :rolleyes: willed Notre Dame into the Final Four.

Really, folks, how much would you hate the attitude if UConn had won those games? Let's give Diggins her due. She won and she earned the right to her swagger.

Reaction Score
I think it's a matter of class more so than a matter of attitude.

Compare the respectful business like celebration when UConn ended Skylar's career with the obnoxious jersey thumpin in the stands one by ND when they ended Maya's. When UConn won Sunday they celebrated for about 5 seconds than went right over to shake the ND team's hands and give Skylar their respect and even hugged her. When ND beat us in 2011 they went into the stands to celebrate and basically did not pay respect to one of the greatest WCBB players to ever play whose career they just ended.

UConn could have easily given them some of their own medicine after watching them over celebrate their recent wins but didn't.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It doesn't really matter to me if Uconn won or lost on January 5. Gampel Pavillion is a lot of things: a cathedral of basketball, a little worse for wear, criminally under-equipped with seat backs, etc. But one thing it damn sure isn't is Skylar Diggins's house. It is Geno Auriemma's house, Jim Calhoun's, Ray Allen's, Rebecca Lobo's, Jen Rizzoti's, Rip Hamilton's, Khalid El-Amin's, Kara Wolters's, Nykesha Sales's, Shea Ralph's, Svet Abrosimova's, Sue Bird's, Swin Cash's, Diana Taurasi's, Emeka Okafor's, Maya Moore's, Tina Charles's Renee Montgomery's, Kemba Walker's, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis's, Bria Hartley's, Stef Dolson's, Breanna Stewart's, and everyone else who contributed to 11 national championships and 17 final fours during its existence. It definitely isn't Skylar Diggins's.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think it's a matter of class more so than a matter of attitude.

Compare the respectful business like celebration when UConn ended Skylar's career with the obnoxious jersey thumpin in the stands one by ND when they ended Maya's. When UConn won Sunday they celebrated for about 5 seconds than went right over to shake the ND team's hands and give Skylar their respect and even hugged her. When ND beat us in 2011 they went into the stands to celebrate and basically did not pay respect to one of the greatest WCBB players to ever play whose career they just ended.

UConn could have easily given them some of their own medicine after watching them over celebrate their recent wins but didn't.
So, you're saying those college-aged kids acted in a more mature manner than the much older folks on the Boneyard. Got it.

Reaction Score
Diana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skylar

There aren't enough "greater than" signs, really.

The thing that annoyed me about Skylar is that she has the swagger of a player with national championships, NPOY awards, etc., but never did any of those things. She's a very good player who thinks she's D or Candace. She's just not.

I will give her credit for losing graciously, however. That is not easy to do.

She's the same caliber of player that has won NPOY and national championships in other years. She led Notre Dame to three consecutive Final Fours. She consistently beat a deeper and more talented UConn team. She has just as much right to have a swagger as anybody else in WCBB history.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
But it's more than her swagger. Part of it is about Skylar making it all about Skylar. Would Diana draw attention to herself with something like the headband thing...changing her hair and/or headband when things weren't going well? Wearing different shoes? It's more than the basketball swagger.

Reaction Score
This forum is a riot! I understand that the Board has a split personality. Many signed on thinking it was all about women's basketball in general, and UConn women's basketball in particular, only to learn that for many others, it was primarily a "we love our girls" kind of an exercise. For those in the former camp, those who love and appreciate the game, giving a player like Skylar her due poses no problem. It is a matter of indifference to them whether or not one finds her personality objectionable, her greatness as a player and as a competitor are undeniable. For those in the latter category, on the other hand, "our girls" are models of good citizenship and altogether lovable, while Skylar is a bad girl, so crediting her with greatness comes at too high a price. In the meantime, lost in all this foolishness, is the original post which simply tried to draw attention to a moment of classiness and good sportsmanship...which it was!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
But it's more than her swagger. Part of it is about Skylar making it all about Skylar. Would Diana draw attention to herself with something like the headband thing...changing her hair and/or headband when things weren't going well? Wearing different shoes? It's more than the basketball swagger.
thats up to Muffett to handle... and maybe she thinks that help her play better.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She's the same caliber of player that has won NPOY and national championships in other years. She led Notre Dame to three consecutive Final Fours. She consistently beat a deeper and more talented UConn team. She has just as much right to have a swagger as anybody else in WCBB history.
We are going to have to agree to disagree. Vehemently in my case.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

thats up to Muffett to handle... and maybe she thinks that help her play better.

Or maybe Muffett just thinks it's all just a lot about nothing.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This forum is a riot! I understand that the Board has a split personality. Many signed on thinking it was all about women's basketball in general, and UConn women's basketball in particular, only to learn that for many others, it was primarily a "we love our girls" kind of an exercise. For those in the former camp, those who love and appreciate the game, giving a player like Skylar her due poses no problem. It is a matter of indifference to them whether or not one finds her personality objectionable, her greatness as a player and as a competitor are undeniable. For those in the latter category, on the other hand, "our girls" are models of good citizenship and altogether lovable, while Skylar is a bad girl, so crediting her with greatness comes at too high a price. In the meantime, lost in all this foolishness, is the original post which simply tried to draw attention to a moment of classiness and good sportsmanship...which it was!

It was a moment of good sportsmanship. One that even the most intense rivals have on occasion. My only beef was that it was portrayed as something special and never seen before. It was a nice moment. Similar to after a hard foul the fouling player offers her/hand to the fouled player to help them up. You can see that happen in most games.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Doggy
I actually do not remember seeing anything quite like it during a game that wasn't after a hard foul or the like.
That's why I thought it was special.
Also taking into account the personalities.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doggy
I actually do not remember seeing anything quite like it during a game that wasn't after a hard foul or the like.
You must not watch a lot of sports.

Considering the score and time left in the game, it was an unnecessary and hard foul. I wouldn't doubt if Faris muttered something and Diggins responded with the pat on the back.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
shoot I remember when Tina was almost told "not to help the opponent up off the floor" (some say it was because of her shoulder)...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
shoot I remember when Tina was almost told "not to help the opponent up off the floor" (some say it was because of her shoulder)...
dC, you ever see someone from one team offer a hand to another after a foul?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Doggy
thats because you read too much into wahats posted on message boards... we have no clue what their personal relationship is like.

its grumpy old men and women who thnk the players aren't and shouldn't be kind to each other

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
You must not watch a lot of sports. doggydaddy,

I remember when we lived in NZ for two years, we found that in that part of the world they play some
pretty strange looking affairs.

And being the sports freak I was, one had no choice but to get into Rugger and Cricket.
There was also Netball for the girls (pronounced "Nitball" in NZ), but that was unwatchable.
A special treat was watching the All-Blacks destroy Australia or South Africa, on the huge TV that they conveniently provided, while sitting in the huge natural hot spring pool in Waiwera.

Perhaps I wasn't watching closely enough or too much Kiwi brew.

Reaction Score
This thread is really getting old. I tried to refrain from commenting, but after staring at it for 2 days, I couldn't help myself. Diggins has been a histrionic diva for the majority of her career and a thorn in Uconn's side. Her grabbing of Kelly's hand and pat on the back could be called many things, but "a special moment" give me a break. Go post that garbage on the ND board if you want people to join your bandwagon. In the case of Diggins, schadenfreude is a wonderful thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom