A Special Moment | The Boneyard

A Special Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
With about 1:21 left and no doubt remaining about the final outcome, Skylar fouled Kelly in the backcourt. As Kelly jogged up to the foul line, Skylar grabbed her hand in friendship and admiration and when no reaction was forthcoming, gave an additional pat on the back…classy lady.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Seriously, what is special about this moment? I can name countless times an opponent has shown respect for an opposing player.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm sorry Doggy, I just can't bring myself to get into one of our "discussions " about this.
If that's the way you feel…fine.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm sorry Doggy, I just can't bring myself to get into one of our "discussions " about this.
If that's the way you feel…fine.
No problem. It was a simple question. If you don't want to answer, I'm good with that.

I guess I'm more into stuff about the champions and not the semi-final losing team.

3 2 C got under my skin.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
MSF are you currently watching that game or did that thought just pop in your head?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Daddy

It's the second time I watched the ESPN replay, figure it was going to be deleted soon and I wanted to celebrate the juicy moments one more time and note the turning points.

I think I noticed it on the first replay but tonight it struck me as an especially poignant moment and one of unusual sportsmanship. The game was not over and incidentally I can find no reaction from Kelly, though she may have said something not observable, but I don't think she did.

Two combative Hoosier woman, the one on the losing side showing respect for the other despite the crushing disappointment she must have been feeling.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
oh ok... I think you should have said "Im watchin the ND semi game right now... blah blah blah" so that it doesnt look like you're talking out of left field.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
With about 1:21 left and no doubt remaining about the final outcome, Skylar fouled Kelly in the backcourt. As Kelly jogged up to the foul line, Skylar grabbed her hand in friendship and admiration and when no reaction was forthcoming, gave an additional pat on the back…classy lady.

Not a Skyler fan by ANY means and I'm not sure I'm ready to call her a "classy lady" BUT I did note the moment you describe and her attitude during the post-game interviews... she did a good job despite what must have been a nightmare scenario for her. Not so "classy" at the half when she blew off Holly Rowe and stuck McBride with the interview. Check the game video as ND was heading off the court.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Surely a complicated personality, another negative thing, she seemed to try to cover up the camera with her hand at the last (Ithink) timeout as she ran off.

But the gesture vis-a-vis Kelly was something I've never seen before.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why do you think she "blew off" Holly... she was running to the locker and Holly jumped in front of her requesting a interview, isnt she entitled to say "nah, interview Kayla"

or is she told before the game that she needs to do the halftime interview with Holly.

I dont like the interview of the players and coaches... just gives fans more to b**** about.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Surely a complicated personality, another negative thing, she seemed to try to cover up the camera with her hand at the last (Ithink) timeout as she ran off.

But the gesture vis-a-vis Kelly was something I've never seen before.

You've never seen an opposing played reach out to an opponent after a hard foul?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I noticed it to. I thought it a nice moment between two longtime and fierce competitors. One needs to remember how long the two have been competing extends far back beyond their college days.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I noticed that live and then noticed it again tonight - Skylar had just forced kelly out of bounds on a foul as she ran up the court and Kelly had given a couple of hops as if she might have tweaked an ankle. I felt Skylar was trying to say 'sorry - that ended up being harder/more awkward than I intended'. They also go back to high school as competitors so I think there is mutual respect there. I thought it was a nice gesture as well. Nothing to go gaga about, but good sportsmanship, like CD going to check Slaughter after she caught her with the elbow. And I agree that she carried herself well through the loss and the media interviews.
I thought both the semi game and the championship game were played with good sportsmanship. Physical but not chippy and no taunting or in your face kind of stuff. (Exception was probably the F1 foul on Stef by Reid, but that was just a single moment of madness and not reflective of the rest of the game.)
And I thought the Refs in both games did a pretty decent job - kept the game flowing and fairly consistent throughout. Missed calls as always, and a few weird ones, but nothing that affected the outcomes.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Frankly, I just want to see competition...plenty of time for warm and fuzzzy after the game.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Let's say life is an equation. Put this one decent act on one side and the other behavior we've all observed over the past several years on the other side. Which way does the scale tilt? She is what she is.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I noticed it to. I thought it a nice moment between two longtime and fierce competitors. One needs to remember how long the two have been competing extends far back beyond their college days.
Very true.

But special? And something that hasn't been done before? Not really.

Reaction Score
Oh man, where are my boots. This is getting pretty deep. Friendship? Please. Did you see Skylars facial reactions, that does not say friendship... not once in that game did she smile towards a UCONN player. Not once.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Very true.

But special? And something that hasn't been done before? Not really.
Not worth quibbling over word choice. Special maybe in the sense beyond the norm of competition.

The rivalry will renew in the WNBA, too.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Now THAT is funny. You saying something isn't worth quibbling about...lol.

Yer killing me, Padre!

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I will say this, it shocked me.

When it happened, I got this reaction from my wife: A look of uncertainty followed by "Did Skylar just somewhat apologize to Kelly?" I responded by staring at the screen in befuddlement. This wasn't the only time during the game as it also happened again in the handshake line. In all of the years we have watched these two battle and through all of the handshake lines, I have never seen Skylar extend any extra appreciation towards Kelly, like she does with a lot of players by giving them a little extra hug or "props". Maybe this is due to Kelly's machine like approach or the long lasting rivalry back to high school. I don't know why. I was completely stunned and maybe it was a sign of the finality of this rivalry and a recognition of appreciation for one another.

It did catch me off guard and it may have even lessened my dislike of the "Sky Diggs" persona, as I have always enjoyed watching Skylar Diggins the athlete and competitor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Now THAT is funny. You saying something isn't worth quibbling about...lol.

Yer killing me, Padre!
That is an honor coming from the god of quibble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom