A small taste of life without Brimah | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A small taste of life without Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even if you look past the 28 paint points - which you shouldn't - Brimah is still a huge part of how UConn guards the three point line. The help structure gets stretched with him out, and as a result guys aren't quite as close to shooters as they may normally be. Acting like his presence wouldn't have made a significant impact when a 6'2 kid hit 8 two point field goals is pretty bizarre. More than anything, this game exposed how bad the perimeter defense has been pretty much all season.

That said, pretty concerning performance. This isn't nearly the defensive team I anticipated them being. Miller, especially, has just baffled me in some of these games. He drifts so far off his man when he's hedging that you wonder if his role at Cornell was completely different. Hamilton has reached Kyle Wiltjer level with his defense at this point, kid constantly gets worked on the ball and his off-ball defense is probably the worst on the team. Gibbs is Gibbs, I just don't see him ever being somebody you don't try to hide. Even when the effort is there with him, he's just not a great athlete. We're at the point where it's tough to have Hamilton and Gibbs on the floor at the same time.

We can make all the excuses we want about the opponent, winter break, the XL center...but when you shoot 53% from three against UMass-Lowell and win by nine there is a problem.

But, they just played their best defensive game of the season against Ohio State, and if anything is clear at this point, it's that Ollie likes to play the long-game with his defense. This was a game where we could have basically switched everything and won by 30...but they stayed true to the schemes and that's probably for the better in the long-run, even if the defensive rotations are a mess now.

Even if there are only 37 people in the crowd in Hartford Wednesday, even if it's two days before Christmas, you'd like to see a complete performance defensively, because the game against Texas on the 29th is going to be here soon and you can't expect to just flip a switch for that one.

Reaction Score
Watching UML shred us the entire game, open shots, driving and dishing in the paint, a 6"2'' player owning the paint was very concerning. Our guards were unable to stop them.
That 6'2" player Jahadi was a strong 220 with fantastic footwork, strength and moves inside. Impressive.

Reaction Score
Mau you are 0-2 today. No one has ever said he is the second coming of Kareem or Wilt. We get it but your obsessed with Brimah. Do you dream about him? Covering for Beckham and slamming Cam was not one of your better ideas either. Get a good rest Mau.

0-2 my ass. He wouldn't have added a thing against a team who would've ran him outside to guard wh0? No one. I'm not saying, again, we're not better with him in the line up, my point is against them we weren't better with or without. Anyone thinking otherwise is fn whacked!

Reaction Score
0-2 my ass. He wouldn't have added a thing against a team who would've ran him outside to guard wh0? No one. I'm not saying, again, we're not better with him in the line up, my point is against them we weren't better with or without. Anyone thinking otherwise is fn whacked!

Wow promised myself to completely ignore this thread but this is what happens when you play 18 with 8 guys and a handle of Captain at Lymans - then head over to the Time Out Tavern for another 3 hours!! Holidays are fun, holiday with golf are whacked. I'm fn whacked, some of you are fn whacked LOL.

But everyone gets an opinion here, sorry to swear because not all of you are whacked and that goes for many who hold AB higher than I, it's your opinion. You disagree and I disagree but we ultimately love the Huskies. Time to move on

NEXT

Reaction Score
Wow promised myself to completely ignore this thread but this is what happens when you play 18 with 8 guys and a handle of Captain at Lymans - then head over to the Time Out Tavern for another 3 hours!! Holidays are fun, holiday with golf are whacked. I'm fn whacked, some of you are fn whacked LOL.

But everyone gets an opinion here, sorry to swear because not all of you are whacked and that goes for many who hold AB higher than I, it's your opinion. You disagree and I disagree but we ultimately love the Huskies. Time to move on

NEXT
From Don Amore's "what we learned" article.

1. Life without Amida Brimah isn't pretty: When teams play UConn, the opposing coach is sure to mention Brimah as a difference-maker, a rim protector. In this game, the first UConn has played without Brimah, who sat out with an injury, it was apparent what a difference he makes defensively. Without the safety net he provides, guards were beat for easy River Hawks baskets. They scored 28 points in the paint and that's not what they were planning to do going in. So we know how valuable Brimah is, and we know the rest of the Huskies need to figure out how to play defense without him.

Reaction Score
Contrast.

Look at the video of the UML game. I am a believer that Enoch will develop into a solid college player and maybe an NBA guy. But, watch his presence and mindset as UML guys come through the land towards the rim versus what is Amida Brimah's general disposition. Brimah is poised to play the role of goalkeeper. Maybe you are pointing out his poor positioning on defensive assignment, versus Enoch who is pointedly focused on his man. I don't think hardly any of the easy UML hoops in the paint would have happened if AB is in the game.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

NEXT
When I first saw you quoting yourself, I thought you were arguing with yourself! I guess that would take 36 holes?

Reaction Score
A much larger taste now....Ugh. Those that didn't value Amida are going to eat their words in a few weeks unless we can adjust

Ridley will eat Enoch. Phil did kind of stop them last year though didn't he?

Reaction Score
Funny you win by 9 against Lowell and they can't wait to come out and say "I told ya so" but win by 50 and one of the guys who get s more minutes gets 12 rebounds which takes 3 games for the other guy, and nothing?

Not here to say we were better without him because we aren't nor am I here to say "I told ya so" because I have nothing to go by. I'm here to say you looked like idiots with these type of threads after the Lowell game especially when you have to keep your keyboards shut the next one. Be consistent please.

Best way to do that is to root for the guys playing now and see what happens. This may improve us in so many ways when he does return, we will be surprised? Never know

Reaction Score
Funny you win by 9 against Lowell and they can't wait to come out and say "I told ya so" but win by 50 and one of the guys who get s more minutes gets 12 rebounds which takes 3 games for the other guy, and nothing?

Not here to say we were better without him because we aren't nor am I here to say "I told ya so" because I have nothing to go by. I'm here to say you looked like idiots with these type of threads after the Lowell game especially when you have to keep your keyboards shut the next one. Be consistent please.

Best way to do that is to root for the guys playing now and see what happens. This may improve us in so many ways when he does return, we will be surprised? Never know

Yep, even against CCSU, you could tell there was no rim protection. Way too many lay ups.

Reaction Score
Yep, even against CCSU, you could tell there was no rim protection. Way too many lay ups.

That anyone could watch us play and think we're better off without Brimah is a sign of mental illness.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I didn't comment because I didn't watch the game (work). But when I heard about AB's finger, I thought this was a great opportunity for Enoch and Facey. It will make us better. Good for KF.

Merry Christmas to all!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That anyone could watch us play and think we're better off without Brimah is a sign of mental illness.
Then what is talking to yourself?

Reaction Score

Read please:

"Not here to say we were better without him because we aren't"

But we aren't a lot worst and more than likely better on O. This isn't end of the world stuff people have scored in the paint on us with him in the game too! That's my point as well is it may help us in the long run. Try to read please!

Reaction Score
Read please:

"Not here to say we were better without him because we aren't"

But we aren't a lot worst and more than likely better on O. This isn't end of the world stuff people have scored in the paint on us with him in the game too! That's my point as well is it may help us in the long run. Try to read please!
Agree that in the long run, it will allow face and enoch to see more time and develop. In addition, without an eraser, it will force to play much better team defense without him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom