A shining light..................... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A shining light.....................

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is he though? I thought it was drawn up by warde and just needed the signatures. It's pretty tough to go into your first week at the helm and reject that contract
To bring this whole thing back to reality:

While Warde was still here a verbal agreement was reached with Diaco in exchange for his withdrawing his pursuit of the Rutgers job. Whether he would have gotten that job or whether it ended up being a good deal for the school is irrelevant. At the time BD appeared to not only being headed in the right direction with the program, but also a head of schedule. If Benedict reneged on that agreement, he would have had a difficult time getting any future coaching candidate to trust him.

When Warde accepted the Michigan job, due to a clause in Ollie's contract, there was no longer a buyout (departure fee) to the school if Ollie left for anothsr job. At the time, under duress of the situation, giving a UConn lifer (who won a title, had demonstrated quality recruiting skills and had not yet tarnished his public or coaching image) an extension at market rate could not be viewed as an unreasonable move. In fact I do remember at the time, some posts here showing concern that we could lose him for nothing. I do not remember any threads criticizing the extension.

Putting either contract on Benedict is ridiculous.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To bring this whole thing back to reality:

While Warde was still here a verbal agreement was reached with Diaco in exchange for his withdrawing his pursuit of the Rutgers job. Whether he would have gotten that job or whether it ended up being a good deal for the school is irrelevant. At the time BD appeared to not only being headed in the right direction with the program, but also a head of schedule. If Benedict reneged on that agreement, he would have had a difficult time getting any future coaching candidate to trust him.

When Warde accepted the Michigan job, due to a clause in Ollie's contract, there was no longer a buyout (departure fee) to the school if Ollie left for anothsr job. At the time, under duress of the situation, giving a UConn lifer (who won a title, had demonstrated quality recruiting skills and had not yet tarnished his public or coaching image) an extension at market rate could not be viewed as an unreasonable move. In fact I do remember at the time, some posts here showing concern that we could lose him for nothing. I do not remember any threads criticizing the extension.

Putting either contract on Benedict is ridiculous.

There was nothing Benedict could do - the deals were done before he got there. Blaming him for the extensions is almost as crazy as thinking someone can talk Ollie out of $10 million dollars.

Reaction Score
This plan: 10/10.

I'd say Donyell for two months without the hassle of actually giving him the job on a permanent basis.

There was nothing Benedict could do - the deals were done before he got there. Blaming him for the extensions is almost as crazy as thinking someone can talk Ollie out of $10 million dollars.
Or almost as crazy as thinking Donyell would leave his job and players to coach 2 months at UConn

Reaction Score
There is none. And there is nothing. Nothing, that anyone could do to move UConn ahead of Louisville.
Can’t say I have evidence that she did not try. I want to know wtf happened and who is accountable for our failure. Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, even West Virginia ahead of us. I am pissed to be in our position. Forgot Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Can’t say I have evidence that she did not try. I want to know wtf happened and who is accountable for our failure. Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, even West Virginia ahead of us. I am pissed to be in our position. Forgot Rutgers.

IMO — Jeff Hathaway is way, way ahead of Herbst in the accountability matrix. He failed to leverage all the previous success... SH was playing catch-up from Day 1.

Reaction Score

pretty sure Boehiem and Coach K had something to do with us being snubbed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
pretty sure Boehiem and Coach K had something to do with us being snubbed.

Pretty sure both gave their thumb up. I know Duke voted for UCONN. Dunno about Cuse.

BC and a couple of the football schools were the problem.

Reaction Score
K was a big UConn supporter. Boeheim and Cuse were not, to the surprise of many in our camp. However, Cuse didn’t have a vote.

Reaction Score
You better be right because so far under his watch the 2 biggest revenue sports are going down the tubes. He's going to need to make very good decisions to turn this around. He has no margin for error in his decisions.
He inherited a mess from Warde. He he already got rid of HCBD and got a bargain with Edsall. Ollie is next. If he wants Ollie out, he will find away. It may be that he finds a coach that will take less money like RE did. Maybe that person is Donyell Marshall. In this scenario you get rid of Ollie and can afford to pay Matshall. Im not saying that's gonna happen or even that I want it to happen.

Reaction Score
Benedict did get taken on the Ollie contract extension though. We wouldn't be gnashing our teeth if that wasn't the case.
Really KO was holding the the winning hand and if you could believe the media The NBA was his sure next stop.
Despite what you think UConn was written off as dead in 2012 . Wholesale abandonment of its best players ,facing suspension ,reduced scholarships , A HOF coach pretty much run off in discgrace,abandoned by our rivals . A temp coach with a six month contract
somehow managed to endure the penalty and come back to win the most improbable NC of them all. Did KO save the program ,it really doesn’t matter, as much as the persception
and that was the perception. He was a hot commodity and you have to pay for those.

Reaction Score
Really KO was holding the the winning hand and if you could believe the media The NBA was his sure next stop.
Despite what you think UConn was written off as dead in 2012 . Wholesale abandonment of its best players ,facing suspension ,reduced scholarships , A HOF coach pretty much run off in discgrace,abandoned by our rivals . A temp coach with a six month contract
somehow managed to endure the penalty and come back to win the most improbable NC of them all. Did KO save the program ,it really doesn’t matter, as much as the persception
and that was the perception. He was a hot commodity and you have to pay for those.
This is what makes Ollie so polarizing. He saved the program and subsequently destroyed it in a matter of 5 yrs

Reaction Score
h

I think she’s fully aware and appreciates the situation. She’s probably done all she can, but she’s not stupid, so isn’t going to let you know about it. Blaming her is 100% wrong.

Blaming the top guy for a poor outcome is always right. UConn needed to get into the ACC and did not, she was in charge of the University so it was her job to get it done. If UConn got in the ACC she would still be taking bows.
Separate question as to how hard it was to get UConn in the ACC, but no question it was her job to get it done.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What happened is pretty simple. UConn waited about 30 years too long to start playing D1 football. That's what happened. Additionally, it spent too long acting like a discount liberal arts college, and didn't sufficiently emphasize graduate level programs and research. She's the first President to really tackle that second issue. She couldn't have impacted the first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom