A shining light..................... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A shining light.....................

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Having noticed Pitt is 0-7 in the ACC & cant recruit NYC any longer, the school is wealthy but I'm guessing they never get over the hump vs UNC/Duke. Is that acceptable to their basketball fans? Remember the Zoo & Wars in BET with Krauser & Troutman. Things change. Not always for the better.

Reaction Score
I may have a slightly better understanding than you are giving me credit for but for laughs, please educate me.

On a side note, I don't doubt that you would fund it entirely yourself if you could. As you (obviously) cannot, I don't see how you (or anyone for that matter) can freely state that ten million dollars should not be an obstacle. It still is a reasonably large number and the school using it to buyout a contract (as basically dead money) when they are actively soliciting contributions for many projects (both academically and athletically) that require tens of millions of dollars to fully fund may not be a very easy sell. This is compounded by a very recent buyout in another revenue sport.

For the record I am not asking those who continually cry about the situation to cancel family vacations and send the few thousand dollars that would save to a Fire Ollie fund. They should spend that money on their families, not something as discretionary as this. I just wish that those who feel the need to continue to whine about the same things over and over again, daily, would step back and realize we all get the point. We have a very poorly constructed, very inept, very limited team that does not appear to be coached to an acceptable standard. When we play SMU and then Temple over the next week we will see numerous post game threads acting as if what we now have as a basketball team is something that just appeared during that game.

If you can do something about it, so something about it. Don't increase the number of whining posts from 1,500 to 2,200. It doesn't accomplish a thing.
So, either I cancel my winter family vacation to Turks & Caicos or as I fan I don't speak my mind? Tough choice.

Reaction Score
Is he though? I thought it was drawn up by warde and just needed the signatures. It's pretty tough to go into your first week at the helm and reject that contract
Very true. That was foisted on him when KO's stock was still high.

Reaction Score
Dumb. She has no control over it or ability to cause it to happen. None. Zip. Nada.
HH, some of this is about making this a priority and driving a vision. She can't force P5 conferences to take us, but there needs to be real legislative support to move and join a conference with minimal economic impact to a say, the B1G. We need to invest in underwriting membership. There is just not a lot vision from a leader that has a limited appreciation for tier 1 sports from my perspective. You'd think otherwise coming from U of Georgia, but she has zero experience other than on the academic side.

Reaction Score
Very true. That was foisted on him when KO's stock was still high.
Was it really THAT high?! And what was the urgency? I don’t recall anything more than a few rumors about NBA jobs...though I believe that he may have been offered the OKC job before Donovan took it (something to do with his divorce and the financial situation that made taking that job at that time a bad $ decision). But if Kevin Ollie (and his agent I’m sure) created some threat or urgency, that’s just good “agent-ing” and maybe poor/naive administrating.

Any CEO who comes into a business knows that quickly signing up for a budget that was done by your predecessor is a VERY dangerous decision. Benedict should have (whether he “could have” I don’t know) asked for some time to make that decision as he should have known that he was going to have to live with it.

Reaction Score
Very Wrong!

The collapse in football is due to two bad hires that Dave Benedict had nothing to do with, and the fall in basketball is completely on Ollie who Dave Benedict did not hire.

DB did the right thing in canning Diaco last year and its way too early to judge the Edsall rehire. The next big move is obvious, Ollie's time is up.

Ultimately DB will be judged by the success of Edsall and Ollie's replacement.
I didn't say the 2 programs going downhill were his fault. You assumed something I didn't say. I said under his watch (i.e. during his time here) both programs are going down the tubes. And he has to reverse that. Don't think anyone could argue with that.

Reaction Score
Was it really THAT high?! And what was the urgency? I don’t recall anything more than a few rumors about NBA jobs...though I believe that he may have been offered the OKC job before Donovan took it (something to do with his divorce and the financial situation that made taking that job at that time a bad $ decision). But if Kevin Ollie (and his agent I’m sure) created some threat or urgency, that’s just good “agent-ing” and maybe poor/naive administrating.

Any CEO who comes into a business knows that quickly signing up for a budget that was done by your predecessor is a VERY dangerous decision. Benedict should have (whether he “could have” I don’t know) asked for some time to make that decision as he should have known that he was going to have to live with it.
Bingo. I like Benedict but he clearly made a big mistake with this decision. He wasn't even here a month and he was already agreeing to a 10 mil. extension when Ollie wasn't going anywhere.

As you point out any CEO who does this kind of thing is majorly playing with fire.

Reaction Score

Just my recollection. The NC bought him a lot leverage, whether fully deserved or not.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
HH, some of this is about making this a priority and driving a vision. She can't force P5 conferences to take us, but there needs to be real legislative support to move and join a conference with minimal economic impact to a say, the B1G. We need to invest in underwriting membership. There is just not a lot vision from a leader that has a limited appreciation for tier 1 sports from my perspective. You'd think otherwise coming from U of Georgia, but she has zero experience other than on the academic side.
h

I think she’s fully aware and appreciates the situation. She’s probably done all she can, but she’s not stupid, so isn’t going to let you know about it. Blaming her is 100% wrong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Evidence please

There is none. And there is nothing. Nothing, that anyone could do to move UConn ahead of Louisville.

Reaction Score
Without deep pocketed donors, his "skills" are neutered until April 2019 at the earliest.
The financial damage that could be done to the athletic dept and the school in general with Ollie as coach until April 2019 dwarfs any money owed to KO. Firing him and his whole staff of puppets tomorrow is the best course.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The financial damage that could be done to the athletic dept and the school in general with Ollie as coach until April 2019 dwarfs any money owed to KO. Firing him and his whole staff of puppets tomorrow is the best course.

Who’s the interim?

Reaction Score
You better be right because so far under his watch the 2 biggest revenue sports are going down the tubes. He's going to need to make very good decisions to turn this around. He has no margin for error in his decisions.
Football team will go 7-5 next year and will probably get a bowl bid. The recruits we have coming in are really good, and this is just Edsall's first class. Hardly going down the tubes.

Reaction Score
Football team will go 7-5 next year and will probably get a bowl bid. The recruits we have coming in are really good, and this is just Edsall's first class. Hardly going down the tubes.
AD David Benedict is trying. I meet him recently and was not impressed. Maybe he does good thing behind the scenes but his biggest job is to stabilize the AD's fiances and he has not done that

Reaction Score
Who’s the interim?
For the interim I think it would have to be a former player who can bond immediately with the players. Donyell, Ray, Emeka, or several others who still have homes in CT. Permanent, maybe Hurley. Supposedly he is interested.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
For the interim I think it would have to be a former player who can bond immediately with the players. Donyell, Ray, Emeka, or several others who still have homes in CT. Permanent, maybe Hurley. Supposedly he is interested.

You think Donyell would leave CCSU in January?

Or that Emeka or Ray have any coaching interest/that it would be a good idea to throw someone with zero coaching experience into the fire in January?

Reaction Score
AD David Benedict is trying. I meet him recently and was not impressed. Maybe he does good thing behind the scenes but his biggest job is to stabilize the AD's fiances and he has not done that
I'm not impressed with your ability to form coherent sentences. He just got engaged? Thought he was already married. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You think Donyell would leave CCSU in January?

Or that Emeka or Ray have any coaching interest/that it would be a good idea to throw someone with zero coaching experience into the fire in January?
Yes!!! If they love UConn I think one of them would do it for eight weeks. God damn u I can't believe your arguing this. Fire Ollie now or the program is toast.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, how much are you donating towards the buyout? I am always intrigued when people freely discuss the spending of money that someone else has an attachment to.

In this case, it's fair though. Because everyone in CT is helping to financially support this school. So they are sacrificing money. They've a right to a voice.

Most folks don't have the cash to just throw around willy nilly. Especially if they are buying tickets or merchandise.

Reaction Score
Dan hurley again, do we know his background? Maybe he won't pass a background check

Reaction Score
I'm not impressed with your ability to form coherent sentences. He just got engaged? Thought he was already married. Lol
Dude, need to take your ritalin

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

This plan: 10/10.

I'd say Donyell for two months without the hassle of actually giving him the job on a permanent basis.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Yes!!! If they love UConn I think one of them would do it for eight weeks. God damn u I can't believe your arguing this. Fire Ollie now or the program is toast.

Yeah, god damn me for thinking someone who's never coached a lick of basketball should be given the HC job shouldn't be given the job under any circumstances. Take a hike buddy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, either I cancel my winter family vacation to Turks & Caicos or as I fan I don't speak my mind? Tough choice.

You can speak your mind. But if you want to pretend $10 million dollars isn't a sizable amount of money and you aren't willing to fund it - then maybe take the foot off the gas with respect to your demands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom