A Season of Punt Returns | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Season of Punt Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
App State set up what should've been a game winning FG last night from a 40 yard punt return. Returns have potential to be game changing plays. The fact that we don't even attempt them is frustrating.

Look, its worse because of the fact that its not like the offense is out there generating yardage on its own.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
HCBD thinks it is only important to catch the punt. Never, ever, are we to run with it. Playing scared and 'not to lose'under the guise of playing for field position. Well, we had the ball at the 40 + most of the 1st qtr and did jack squat

zls44

Reaction Score
Original post updated with today's idiocy.

Reaction Score
I'm sure you watch a lot of college football. please tell me who on the college scene is routinely running back punts nowadays. I know we are all disappointed in the lack of returns by this team. I have not seen any college team in the last few seasons successfully running back many punts. if the punt coverage team is not on top of the punt returner in today's college game they are doing something terribly wrong.

There was a team in Annapolis who ran punts back today.

Reaction Score
I miss Larry Taylor and Nick Williams.

Here's the question. Is the "no return" philosophy dictated by sheer conservatism---or personnel?
What if we had Nick or Larry on the current roster? How about Devin Hester?

Reaction Score
Is there some rule that I'm unaware of that says the return team can't stuff the gunners at the line of scrimmage?
God, that was awful.
Since our philosophy is not to return the punt, our special team players also don't block in anticipation of one... The Navy punt return of 25 yards in the 4Q was a backbreaker.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That Q4 punt with 6 to play was the play that changed the game. No question about it. The ball bounced at around our 20 (within a few feet of our returner) and rolled inside our 5. 3 straight runs up the middle, terrible punt that led to tremendous Navy field position and an easy score, and we were in ultra conservative mode. If we fair catch that punt and have field position on our 20, it opens up our over conservative OC to maybe put the ball in the hands of our best player yesterday - Bryant Sheriffs.

I can't say this enough: I HATE OUR GODDAM PUNT RETURN PHILOSOPHY. Yesterday, it was the play that turned the entire momentum of the game and ultimately cost us dearly.

zls44

Reaction Score
Now updated through UVA

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The lack of blocking was ridiculous. If anything if gives the punt catcher a better chance to catch it. The coverage was in his face on nearly every punt and we again let one hit the ground and roll. Our returns are as bad as our kickers are good.

Reaction Score
Not practicing for returns gives us more time to prepare for other aspects of our offense.

Reaction Score
Now updated through UVA

Respectfully I think you need to include touchbacks as a tracked stat. Of the 7 UVA punts yesterday - 3 OOB as you noted plus 1 touchback.

Reaction Score
Our punt team strategy appears to be to sell out to prevent the fake punt. Nobody on the line of scrimmage, no attempt to rush the punter, no attempt to block guys coming off the line, returning is forbidden.

Reaction Score
Our punt team strategy appears to be to sell out to prevent the fake punt. Nobody on the line of scrimmage, no attempt to rush the punter, no attempt to block guys coming off the line, returning is forbidden.
You forgot, don't catch the punt; let it hit the ground and we'll take our chances it doesn't roll another 20 yards down the field putting our offense in worse field position.

zls44

Reaction Score
Updated for the last 2 games. The joy of Lemelle actually returning one against Syracuse was not a predictor of future attempts.

Lemelle has 6 fair catches since that return vs Syracuse.

zls44

Reaction Score
Updated through BC.

Opponents have punted the ball to UConn 33 times since the Syracuse game on September 24.

UConn has returned 1 of those 33 for a total of 8 yards, at USF.

Reaction Score
Diaco really is a complete imbecile.

Is he trying to make sure no one gets hurt?

Reaction Score
Bottom line our special teams other than the kicker kicking and the punter punting and tackles tackling sacked. The 3rd facet of the game that is nonexistent, returning the football on a PR or KOR, or trying to black a kick or a punt, nonexistent. Equates to more losses than wins just as much as having no offense.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
ZLS. Thanks for taking oN this herculean task. Tabulating our punt returns.

zls44

Reaction Score
UConn finished the season with 3 punt returns in 12 games, 0.25 per game. That is a new FBS record.

UConn set the record last year with 0.38 per game (5 in 13 games).

Reaction Score
I missed this post, just posted on the same topic. It's bush league we don't even try to return punts. It's like gym class rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom