A Season of Punt Returns | The Boneyard

A Season of Punt Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I find our continued ineptitude at even attempting punt returns fascinating, so I'm going to track it all season.

6 punt returns, 2 yards

vs Maine: 5 punts, no returns attempted. Maine did not return a punt.
vs Navy: 3 punts, no returns attempted. Two of the Navy punts were OOB. Navy returned 2 punts for 46 yards.
vs Virginia: 7 punts, no returns attempted. Three of Virginia's punts were OOB. Virginia returned 2 punts for 11 yards.
vs Syracuse: 5 punts, 1 return for 17 yards. Two fair catches. One awful shank, one OOB.
vs Houston: 7 punts, 1 return for 0 yards.
vs Cincinnati: 5 punts, no returns attempted. 4 fair catches and a touchback.
vs USF: 4 punts, 1 return for 8 yards.
vs UCF: 5 punts, no returns attempted.
vs ECU: 5 punts, no returns attempted.
vs Temple: 3 punts, no returns attempted.
vs BC: 3 punts, no returns attempted.
vs Tulane: 6 punts, no returns attempted.

0.25 punt returns per game is a new FBS record, breaking the record UConn set last year of 0.38 per game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I find our continued ineptitude at even attempting punt returns fascinating, so I'm going to track it all season.

6 punt returns, 2 yards

vs Maine: 5 punts, no returns attempted

I'm sure you watch a lot of college football. please tell me who on the college scene is routinely running back punts nowadays. I know we are all disappointed in the lack of returns by this team. I have not seen any college team in the last few seasons successfully running back many punts. if the punt coverage team is not on top of the punt returner in today's college game they are doing something terribly wrong.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm sure you watch a lot of college football. please tell me who on the college scene is routinely running back punts nowadays. I know we are all disappointed in the lack of returns by this team. I have not seen any college team in the last few seasons successfully running back many punts. if the punt coverage team is not on top of the punt returner in today's college game they are doing something terribly wrong.

Your post isn't invalid, but I still find the whole thing kind of funny.

Reaction Score
Is there some rule that I'm unaware of that says the return team can't stuff the gunners at the line of scrimmage?
God, that was awful.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to blame them for not returning punts last night. They had like one long punt, otherwise everything was like 30-40 yards, you're not going to get enough blocking on a punt that short to return it.

Reaction Score
You miss the point. UConn finished last of all BCS teams in 2016, LAST. That is ineptitude. It doesn't matter who is doing a great job, we are doing a terrible job. How does anything in your post valid that being last is just fine?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I'm not going to blame them for not returning punts last night. They had like one long punt, otherwise everything was like 30-40 yards, you're not going to get enough blocking on a punt that short to return it.
Yeah, their punter was shabby. A couple shanked out of bounds, but at least one there was enough room for a return attempt.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You miss the point. UConn finished last of all BCS teams in 2016, LAST. That is ineptitude. It doesn't matter who is doing a great job, we are doing a terrible job. How does anything in your post valid that being last is just fine?
I'd love to simply be average at this.

Reaction Score

6 punt returns, 2 yards

WOW. I just laughed and vomited at the same time.

Reaction Score

Where in my post did I say or imply that being last is just fine?

Reaction Score
Where in my post did I say or imply that being last is just fine?
Your entire post was a justification of Diaco's punt return scheme. You implied that if no one is doing a great job then how can the critics point the finger at the Huskies.

You didn't use the words "just fine." But your defense that no one is returning punts is false. Last year, 45 college teams averaged 10 yards per punt return or better.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I can't stand our philosophy on punt returns. We were calling fair catch before the kicks were even in the air. We are not even giving our returners a single second to read the play and kick coverage to pick up additional yardage. Once teams learn that we don't return anything, they will surely start scramble kicking. Hit a line drive for 30 yards and then let the ball roll an additional 20-30 yards down field. Would net more yards against more often than not than hitting a punt 45 yards in the air to be fair caught.

Our offense is so bad that we need the additional yards. Even an extra 5-10 could go a long way towards getting into field goal range.

I miss Larry Taylor and Nick Williams.

Reaction Score
Your entire post was a justification of Diaco's punt return scheme. You implied that if no one is doing a great job then how can the critics point the finger at the Huskies.

You didn't use the words "just fine." But your defense that no one is returning punts is false. Last year, 45 college teams averaged 10 yards per punt return or better.

Please don't put words in my mouth. In no way did I attempt to justify Diaco's punt return scheme.

Reaction Score
Please don't put words in my mouth. In no way did I attempt to justify Diaco's punt return scheme.
Read your own post. It excuses Diaco because

"please tell me who on the college scene is routinely running back punts nowadays. I know we are all disappointed in the lack of returns by this team. I have not seen any college team in the last few seasons successfully running back many punts.

If no college team can successfully return punts it completely lets Diaco off the hook. There is no other point to the post.

Reaction Score

6 punt returns, 2 yards

Your heading is wrong. It should be titled "a season of no punt returns",
I can only hope Diaco decided to play conservative so as not to allow Navy prepare for us. We had no pass rush. I can't member a sack. Little running game. It reminded me of PP years where our offense consisted of two rushes up the middle, a quarterback scramble and a punt. Pretty scary..

Reaction Score
What I don't understand, is that if we're so averse to returning punts, why are we not trying to block them every single time? If we're just going to fair catch anyway, might as well be aggressive somewhere on the field.

Reaction Score
Read your own post. It excuses Diaco because

"please tell me who on the college scene is routinely running back punts nowadays. I know we are all disappointed in the lack of returns by this team. I have not seen any college team in the last few seasons successfully running back many punts.

If no college team can successfully return punts it completely lets Diaco off the hook. There is no other point to the post.

Please read what I said again. "I have not seen any college team in the last few seasons successfully running back many punts". Emphasis on many. I did not say or imply "no college team can successfully return punts".

Reaction Score
Please read what I said again. "I have not seen any college team in the last few seasons successfully running back many punts". Emphasis on many. I did not say or imply "no college team can successfully return punts".

If UConn is the only game you watch then you are correct. You won't see any punt returns. However if you watch ANY other college football games you will see many teams return punts & don't fair catch them.

This list has 30 guys who returned 20 or more punts last year: 2015 FBS Punt Return Statistics | The Football Database

Reaction Score
What country are you in?

Reaction Score

Switch the stat to fumbles lost. While nobody likes to turn the ball over, it doesn't necessarily correlate that the best teams fumble the least. We are last in punt returns and that's just not a defensible statistic. It's more an admission that the coaches either can't or just don't want to teach it. It's a philosophy that says we're OK with zero production in this area because we might fumble. Does that sound logical to anyone?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
App State set up what should've been a game winning FG last night from a 40 yard punt return. Returns have potential to be game changing plays. The fact that we don't even attempt them is frustrating.

Reaction Score
App State set up what should've been a game winning FG last night from a 40 yard punt return. Returns have potential to be game changing plays. The fact that we don't even attempt them is frustrating.

There were 9 punts in that game. Tennessee attempted to run back 3 for a net gain of 0 yards. If I am correct App. State attempted to run back 1 of 6. And yes, I am aware of App. State running one back for 45 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom