A Sad Day | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Sad Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They list her as a gaurd bui do the play her at that spot? P When Edwards came to UCONN she was listed as a guard/forward. She was never a guard. Looking the Colroado game beofre teh tip the have Reese listed as a forward then 4 guards. For talking points - that's not realistic. And when she is playing vs Colorado I briefly looked at teh start- she is looking for the ball with her back to the basket a lot. That's a forward. And they can call Reese a forward if they want but she is guarding the opposing team's center an she is playing mostly inside then she is a center.

My point is she isn’t a 6-5 post. @Aluminny69 mentioned Morrow with Cardoso but the two players aren’t equivalent.

Reaction Score
My point is she isn’t a 6-5 post. @Aluminny69 mentioned Morrow with Cardoso but the two players aren’t equivalent.
Okay - I don't understand your point - but okay. Morrow is a post though. She plays a lot inside.

Reaction Score
My guess is Brenda Frese and Dawn Staley..Geno isn't the only top notch coach anymore.
I don’t recall Cardoso ever being on the menu for UConn! At that point we had already signed Dorka. Perhaps I’m misremembering?

Reaction Score
Wow-- talk about Monday Morning QB. You mention post players but disregard Fudd and Ducharme because they are guards? Because if the subject is "recruiting" - overall they were overall higher recruits than Cardoso and Morrow. Fudd was a generational talent ranked 1st in her class while the prior year Cardoso was ranked 5th. And Ducharme was ranked 4th while Morrow was ranked beyond 100 according to Hoopgurlz. How can anyone ignore these facts (not fiction) that Azzi and Caroline have been hurt and as a result how that affects overall team performance?

It sounds like :you want to evalaute post players and everything else be be damned." It's as if you believe Geno should have known that Ice and Patterson were to be hurt when he recruited them. Unless you think it's a failure of his that he should have known all 4 of the UCONN players were going to be hurt?
Geno and Chris have always focused on more that the physical abilities of recruits! No shade is meant toward those two players but it is very possible that they felt those two did not fit into the requirements for UConn. That is not to say anything negative about them but Morrow was Geno’s best friend’s player and likely would never been a candidate for Geno! As for Cardoso, I believe she was in the same portal as Dorka so he would have been directly recruiting over Dorka! That was never going to happen! Is it possible, Geno had a twinge of regret that Cardoso did not announce earlier? Perhaps, but I think he was pretty happy with the player he ended up with. It’s possible I have the sequence of Dorka vs Cardoso wrong but I don’t think so.

Reaction Score
Geno and Chris have always focused on more that the physical abilities of recruits!
Not that it matters but I don't agree with this. Geno goes after the best basketball player he can get. IMO that is the #1 focus. That's hwy they've goten as many #1 recruits.

Reaction Score
That is not to say anything negative about them but Morrow was Geno’s best friend’s player and likely would never been a candidate for Geno! As for Cardoso, I believe she was in the same portal as Dorka so he would have been directly recruiting over Dorka! That was never going to happen! Is it possible, Geno had a twinge of regret that Cardoso did not announce earlier? Perhaps, but I think he was pretty happy with the player he ended up with. It’s possible I have the sequence of Dorka vs Cardoso wrong but I don’t think so.
Since Morrow had decided to transfer, it's likely Bruno gave Geno his thoughts. Geno could have definitely recruited her, but simply lost out to Kim. Just because a player, whether in HS or in college, becomes an active recruit, the fact that they decide to go elsewhere does not mean that Geno did not recruit them.

Reaction Score
It’s not sad, or depressing, or the end of the world. It’s basketball, a game, played by young women running up and down a court throwing a ball through a hoop. They lost a game - no one died.
You don’t know that no one died. ;^)

Reaction Score
Not that it matters but I don't agree with this. Geno goes after the best basketball player he can get. IMO that is the #1 focus. That's hwy they've goten as many #1 recruits.
Geno and CD have a type. They don’t look at some just because of over-involved parents. They want no drama, unselfish, team first, players. If they’re great players, all the better.

Reaction Score
I don’t recall Cardoso ever being on the menu for UConn! At that point we had already signed Dorka. Perhaps I’m misremembering?
Cuango- - Rumor had it when Cardoso was available that she contacted Geno to transfer to UCONN but the Huskies had a bunch of bigs on the roster and were recruiting 2 or 3 other bigs and the numbers didn't work out and Cardoso contacted Dawn and her numbers worked out and she's at SoCar!

Reaction Score
Since Morrow had decided to transfer, it's likely Bruno gave Geno his thoughts. Geno could have definitely recruited her, but simply lost out to Kim. Just because a player, whether in HS or in college, becomes an active recruit, the fact that they decide to go elsewhere does not mean that Geno did not recruit them.
Nevertheless, I still believe Geno did not and would not have recruited Morrow with one reason being his relationship with Doug Bruno!

Reaction Score
Cuango- - Rumor had it when Cardoso was available that she contacted Geno to transfer to UCONN but the Huskies had a bunch of bigs on the roster and were recruiting 2 or 3 other bigs and the numbers didn't work out and Cardoso contacted Dawn and her numbers worked out and she's at SoCar!
So she wasn’t ever recruited to come here, from the portal! She may have wanted to come but for whatever reason, as you say, numbers, she was not invited and instead went to our arch-rival!:( And so it goes, our timing was off! Yet another example of how seemingly simple circumstances/decisions can have monumental consequences! She would have hugly elevated our chances for #12! (and perhaps #13 as well)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If Paige doesn't produce super numbers, this team isn't going to beat the varsity. Just not enough talent.
Disagree. There is plenty of talent but a bunch of it Is first year and Edwards and Griffin aren’t too shabby plus Muhl is a solid contributor. Obviously Paige has a bigger scoring burden, but short handed they have beaten a couple of “varsity” teams already without Paige scoring 40 points.

Reaction Score
Nevertheless, I still believe Geno did not and would not have recruited Morrow with one reason being his relationship with Doug Bruno!
Agree but believe the issues with Morrow went beyond Geno's relationship with Doug. During the UConn games and others, Morrow got into "discussions" with Bruno about her tendancy to spend her time outside the key, primarily shooting 3's and minimizing her rebounds and ability to use her bulk on offense. Not sure Geno wanted to have a player who appeared to have conflicts with her coach, particularly one that is a good friend. Geno and Doug are both professionals so we will likely never have an answer to this question.

Reaction Score
Six games into the season and UConn is 4-2 with losses to two undefeated teams. After you learn Azzi is out and Carline is out you need to recast your team and that is what I saw Geno do this weekend. Right now Geno and the staff are trying to see what combination they need on the floor to score and to win games. To do that you need points in your first group and your second group and that building is going to take time.

Geno knows he needs to get Amari ready to play and that is a huge challenge for him. Ice hasn't shot good enough to be a poor shooter yet but she will get there. KK can't guard a college guard with quickness yet but she will get there and when she does the transition game will comeback too. They still have two All Americans in the line up and a two time defending DPOY too and outside of Paige they aren't playing to their level either, but they will.

Listen, the sky isn't falling and UConn still have top 5 recruiting classes every single year so stop thinking recruiting is going to make a huge difference. This team has the talent but so far they have been underachieving and some of that was Geno not taking the preseason serious and getting his key players ready to play but he will. Be patient which I know is hard, it's very hard for me too but that what it will take to be a fan of UConn this season.

Reaction Score
We had no shooters or scorers except Paige. We did alot of passing again and waited for Paige to do something.
One dimension of this is Paige's assists numbers. First year she averaged about 5.75. Second year about 4. Wonder what the "assists attempted" numbers are? I bet Paige still makes pretty good passes (though when the others are "standing around" even that can't be as fruitful), but something has to happen after that.

Reaction Score
Six games into the season and UConn is 4-2 with losses to two undefeated teams. After you learn Azzi is out and Carline is out you need to recast your team and that is what I saw Geno do this weekend. Right now Geno and the staff are trying to see what combination they need on the floor to score and to win games. To do that you need points in your first group and your second group and that building is going to take time.

Geno knows he needs to get Amari ready to play and that is a huge challenge for him. Ice hasn't shot good enough to be a poor shooter yet but she will get there. KK can't guard a college guard with quickness yet but she will get there and when she does the transition game will comeback too. They still have two All Americans in the line up and a two time defending DPOY too and outside of Paige they aren't playing to their level either, but they will.

Listen, the sky isn't falling and UConn still have top 5 recruiting classes every single year so stop thinking recruiting is going to make a huge difference. This team has the talent but so far they have been underachieving and some of that was Geno not taking the preseason serious and getting his key players ready to play but he will. Be patient which I know is hard, it's very hard for me too but that what it will take to be a fan of UConn this season.

I hope she doesn't get THERE?

Reaction Score
Well alot of disappointed UConn fans looking for answers. Lets face it. We are going through some very tuff times with key players out.

We had no shooters or scorers except Paige. We did alot of passing again and waited for Paige to do something. We have shooters and theyre injured and cant play. Jana's out Azzi's out and both for the year. Caroline I have to wonder if she will be red shirted until she is healthy again. Carolines healthy comes first. Paige looked tired and worn, Griff coming back from her injury needed rest and we had to count on our inexperienced bench who havent had enough yet. No excuses and no blame this is what we have now. Aaliyah couldnt function down low because our opponents the past few games didnt have to guard the perimeter, because nobody was looking to shoot and when they did it didnt go it.

We dont have a recruiting problem we have an injury problem and its been that way for a couple of seasons. The question is when will we be healthy enough to play up to our expectations? I dont know and either do you. Hey we have the shooters and scorers and theyre injured. There has been talk about players going elsewhere. They go elsewhere because they want to play and not sit the bench behind Paige Azzi and Caroline. Thats reasonable. Yeah there is alot more talent in WCBB. We have some of the best of the best and theyre sitting. Another point some of you are talking about getting big and replacements for Dorka. That was Jana and shes out for the year. We have all the talent and players we need unfortunately theyre injured.

Some of your posts really make me angry and I know they make others angry because I talk to enough people. You have a right to be upset but lets not blame the coaches or players out of anger. We are not the team we thought we would be because we have KEY Players out or coming back from injury. We are once again a team of injuries to key players. One thing I will say is we have to do a better job of guarding the perimeter. We left players wide open yesterday and we did that in the NC State game. Can you imagine if they left Paige Azzi and Caroline open.

Hey we are what we are right now. Im sad, very sad but this is what it is. We will have to deal with it. Looking to next season will Azzi Caroline Jana and Yanna be heathly? Will Paige Nika Griff and Aaliyah come back and if they do what happens to those kids who have been waiting for their time to shine. Another important question is how much longer will Geno and Chris be around?????

Some of you think things are bad now and they certainly arent pretty but consider this. If we get healthy next season what will we look like? Yeah I know thats a big IF. Our girls Im sure are not happy but they need us now more then ever. Our injured cant do anything to help us. Our newbies can only continue to be developed. Some are injured, some are not fully healed, some will sit out this season not knowing what next season has in store for them and we as fans need to understand they could use some encouragement and support. Theyre still our girls and UConn is still our program and even though we are going through tuff times the past 3 years we cant give up on them. They need us now be there for them.
Great post. I think people should also remember that no matter how talented the players on the floor are, they have to play together for a period of time to jell. So far there is not one instance I can think of with any lineup Geno has put on the floor where they played together last year. If they appear lost at times it's because they need the time to find themselves. It's going to take more than two or three games for the freshmen to integrate themselves onto the floor for real time games. And it's also going to take a little more time to deal with the injuries. Let's judge these young women on the totality of the season, not five games.

Reaction Score
Cardoso had multiple threads of hope and joy to join the team why when a player chooses elsewhere schools do the whole " We were never interested" thing as if the transfer portal does not exist still and others can see the behavior ?

Reaction Score

Wut? Geno didn’t take preseason seriously? He takes every practice and every game seriously. That’s why he’s in the HOF.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Disagree. There is plenty of talent but a bunch of it Is first year and Edwards and Griffin aren’t too shabby plus Muhl is a solid contributor
Those guys couldn't get out of the round of 16 with two WNBA players. Now they only have one.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kind of the same thing for many Teams... isn't it???
I guess that's the point. UConn is now lumped in with many teams after years of being the standard. I can handle it but many here are still in denial.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Those guys couldn't get out of the round of 16 with two WNBA players. Now they only have one.
Ok sport. UConn had no Paige, did they. Iowa got to the final with one great player and a supporting cast no better than Paige’s. I didn’t say they are likely to be NC, but i think you said they couldn’t beat a “varsity”, which you didn’t define. But using a common definition, they have already beaten two “varsities” since being depleted, one of which was rated top 20 at the time. Peace and love.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can't believe that people are screaming that the sky is falling on UConn. They've lost two games to two Top 5 teams, one on the road and one at a neutral site. UConn is still rated as one of the Top 15 teams in the nation, it's not like they lost to a team that is rated 220 by Massey like Florida did today against Marshall. I believe that Geno will get the most out of what he currently has and in the end they will still end up winning the Big East, both regular season and tournament, be a host for the first two games of the NCAA Tournament and get back to the Final Four. If that happens UConn has a one in four chance to win it all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"We don't have a recruiting problem"

I respectfully disagree. Over the past few years, I feel both Kim Mulkey and Dawn Staley have proven to be more effective recruiters. Face facts. Kim Mulkey took a dormant LSU team, and in two years made them Nationl Champs. South Carolina had their starting five drafted by the WNBA, and yet they haven't missed a beat, rising to number 1 again this year.

Now, if Geno had been able to get Cardoso from Syracuse, or Morrow from Depaul, we might be looking at a different scenario, but we didn't.
Once again, since Geno and Chris first came here, they have recruited a certain type of player. They look for players who are highly skilled but also that are high character and who are willing to forgo individual play for the good of the team. Even their families are a big part of whether UConn will recruit them. This has resulted in great success both on the court and off the court. However, it has eliminated many great players from being considered by UConn. Some will see this as good, some bad. I support their approach wholeheartedly.

Now, as for the two players you mentioned, as far as I know there were no character issues or anything like that but there were other aspects that I believe led to both of those players being passed over. First, Cardoso became available after we had just signed Dorka. Geno was not going to recruit over a girl he had just signed. I am pretty sure that eliminated Cardoso from consideration.

I believe he passed on Morrow mostly because she was playing for his best friend, Doug Bruno. I have no proof of that but from what I’ve seen of Geno, he would have seen it as completely inappropriate to take a star player from his best friend and then turn around and use her in an already wildly unbalanced series between the two schools. I believe this to be true even if Bruno personally told him it was OK. I think the fact that there was obviously some friction between Bruno and Morrow made t even more unlikely that Geno would take her. It’s simply not in Geno’s character to do this. Of course, it’s obviously also possible that they would not have come to UConn anyway!

So, basically the reason these two were not (apparently) considered by UConn was simply timing in one case, and circumstance in the other. Obviously, this is just my read on the entire situation but I believe it to be reasonable supposition based on the facts as I know them. Cadoso was never going to be taken after Dorka and Morrow was likely nver under consideration at all. IMO!

Finally, I would remind you that there is yet another way we could be looking at a “different scenario” and that is if our players had stayed healthy! If SC or LSU had suffered the same number and severity of injures to comparably critical players on their teams, I promise you, there would almost certainly be different champions for the past two years! The fact that we actually played in the championship game two years ago was due to both the indomitable will of our players and one of the great coaching jobs in history!

Just as we continually hear about the cumulative effect of concussions though, I think we are seeing (finally) the cumulative effect of all these injuries now. I think the team is feeling overwhelmed and discouraged and Geno is going to have to reach down and find a way to rebuild their confidence if we are to have any chance to reach some of the yearly goals for this team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom