A Sad Day | The Boneyard

A Sad Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well alot of disappointed UConn fans looking for answers. Lets face it. We are going through some very tuff times with key players out.

We had no shooters or scorers except Paige. We did alot of passing again and waited for Paige to do something. We have shooters and theyre injured and cant play. Jana's out Azzi's out and both for the year. Caroline I have to wonder if she will be red shirted until she is healthy again. Carolines healthy comes first. Paige looked tired and worn, Griff coming back from her injury needed rest and we had to count on our inexperienced bench who havent had enough yet. No excuses and no blame this is what we have now. Aaliyah couldnt function down low because our opponents the past few games didnt have to guard the perimeter, because nobody was looking to shoot and when they did it didnt go it.

We dont have a recruiting problem we have an injury problem and its been that way for a couple of seasons. The question is when will we be healthy enough to play up to our expectations? I dont know and either do you. Hey we have the shooters and scorers and theyre injured. There has been talk about players going elsewhere. They go elsewhere because they want to play and not sit the bench behind Paige Azzi and Caroline. Thats reasonable. Yeah there is alot more talent in WCBB. We have some of the best of the best and theyre sitting. Another point some of you are talking about getting big and replacements for Dorka. That was Jana and shes out for the year. We have all the talent and players we need unfortunately theyre injured.

Some of your posts really make me angry and I know they make others angry because I talk to enough people. You have a right to be upset but lets not blame the coaches or players out of anger. We are not the team we thought we would be because we have KEY Players out or coming back from injury. We are once again a team of injuries to key players. One thing I will say is we have to do a better job of guarding the perimeter. We left players wide open yesterday and we did that in the NC State game. Can you imagine if they left Paige Azzi and Caroline open.

Hey we are what we are right now. Im sad, very sad but this is what it is. We will have to deal with it. Looking to next season will Azzi Caroline Jana and Yanna be heathly? Will Paige Nika Griff and Aaliyah come back and if they do what happens to those kids who have been waiting for their time to shine. Another important question is how much longer will Geno and Chris be around?????

Some of you think things are bad now and they certainly arent pretty but consider this. If we get healthy next season what will we look like? Yeah I know thats a big IF. Our girls Im sure are not happy but they need us now more then ever. Our injured cant do anything to help us. Our newbies can only continue to be developed. Some are injured, some are not fully healed, some will sit out this season not knowing what next season has in store for them and we as fans need to understand they could use some encouragement and support. Theyre still our girls and UConn is still our program and even though we are going through tuff times the past 3 years we cant give up on them. They need us now be there for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. I don't care if they are getting a free college education and NIL money, they are still kids. Not helpful bashing them. I'm sure the fact that, once again, there are injuries to key players is messing with their heads. Let's give them time to regroup.

Reaction Score
IMO one of the biggest problems is we fans are so spoiled- for the longest time we got the most of the best players available and won 11 national championships including 4 straight. Now anything less than the Final Four is considered a bad season .

Now things have changed as they always do. Other programs have stepped up their efforts on the court and during the recruiting process so as a result UCONN is no longer automatic for the FF as they have been for so many years.

I think we have to adjust our expectations so they are more realistic. UCONN can still win but they will have to work much harder, the days of 40 point blow outs against Top 25 teams are over.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain to me why Q only played four minutes? She is a shooter that isn't afraid to shoot. UConn needed someone else besides Paige to score last night. Edwards was not getting the job done. Sometimes I just don't understand Geno!

Reaction Score
The #2 team in the country beat us by 11. We played the game without two starters, played freshmen for significant minutes, one of our best scorer and rebounders had an awful game, we played (again) with improvised lineups and yet lost by only 11 to one of the best teams in the country. That is remarkable. Rather than a sad day, the loss to UCLA showed just how good this team is despite not being able to have all their weapons.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"We don't have a recruiting problem"

I respectfully disagree. Over the past few years, I feel both Kim Mulkey and Dawn Staley have proven to be more effective recruiters. Face facts. Kim Mulkey took a dormant LSU team, and in two years made them Nationl Champs. South Carolina had their starting five drafted by the WNBA, and yet they haven't missed a beat, rising to number 1 again this year.

Now, if Geno had been able to get Cardoso from Syracuse, or Morrow from Depaul, we might be looking at a different scenario, but we didn't.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The #2 team in the country beat us by 11. We played the game without two starters, played freshmen for significant minutes, one of our best scorer and rebounders had an awful game, we played (again) with improvised lineups and yet lost by only 11 to one of the best teams in the country. That is remarkable. Rather than a sad day, the loss to UCLA showed just how good this team is despite not being able to have all their weapons.
Nice spin, but face facts. We were down 16 points at the end of the first Quarter. We were outscored by 14 points in the third quarter. This is not a recipe for success. Wasn't Geno quoted before the season "Just shut up and win?"

Reaction Score
We dont have a recruiting problem we have an injury problem and its been that way for a couple of seasons.
On this one rare occasion, @Tonyc, I have to disagree. We have both an injury problem and a recruiting problem. It's not as bad as the doom chorus likes to pretend. But the fact is we are losing out on players we used to get. I suspect it's because the landscape has changed, partly because of NIL and the Portal, but also because of social media, which is now much more prevalent in HS kids' lives than it was even 10 years ago.

Geno is old school. He believes in discipline and character development, and that's how he built a dynasty. Personally, I think these are eternal values, and I look at UConn as a last bastion of noble virtues in college sports. I do not want Geno to change anything he's doing. But I also expect that for the next few years, he will be facing a much steeper uphill battle with recruiting, and this will make staying in the NC picture exponentially more difficult.

For whatever reason, teenagers are not as attracted to the idea of UConn team culture as they used to be, and this includes Geno's blunt honesty, CD's emphasis on body language and wearing stockings in public, forbidding tattoos or eyelash extensions, etc. I watched a clip from an interview with Angel and Flau'jae from before their moms' falling out and thought to myself, "these are the role models HS players are being offered by WCBB right now." We can still attract great players like Morgan and Allie (and maybe even Sarah), and this will keep us relevant for the near future. But if, for example, candy doesn't develop as we hope and we don't get the Big O to come to Storrs, it will be a long hard climb to the next few final fours. Geno can bring out the best in players, but he needs to build on a sustained core of talent as well.

Reaction Score
Only the most irrational fan would argue that we haven’t had a recruiting problem for multiple years. The injury problems only highlight the shooting/size/speed/toughness issues. People can’t keep saying, “wait till next year” or “wait till X figures it out” - the world of WCB has caught up to us.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If UConn would have shot their average they would have won the game. AE had probably one of her worst games since she was a Freshman 2 for 12 is bad and fouling out on top of it. Paige didn't shoot lights out 9 for 23 is not her normal shooting night.

Now people are screaming that the sky is falling over on the Prognosticator's Prediction thread for today's game because UConn lost and Kansas played #9 Virginia Tech for four quarters and only lost by one. Currently VA Tech is only beating Tulane by 1 point with less than 4 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. so maybe it's Tech that is overrated or maybe Kansas is underrated or maybe a little bit of both.

UConn is still a good team that had a very bad shooting night, Massey has them currently as #9 in the Country and I'm good with that considering what has happened over the past few months. They have today's game, which I believe they will win, then 8 days off before playing at #12 Texas, that gives them time to get things straight on who's starting and time for players to get healthy.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain to me why Q only played four minutes? She is a shooter that isn't afraid to shoot. UConn needed someone else besides Paige to score last night. Edwards was not getting the job done. Sometimes I just don't understand Geno!
It's hard to understand someone when you are on the outside looking in. We have absolutely no inside knowledge as to why Geno plays and doesn't play one of his promising players. We simply have to trust his judgement and realize that there can be many reasons for this.

Reaction Score
Nice spin, but face facts. We were down 16 points at the end of the first Quarter. We were outscored by 14 points in the third quarter. This is not a recipe for success. Wasn't Geno quoted before the season "Just shut up and win
It's hard to understand someone when you are on the outside looking in. We have absolutely no inside knowledge as to why Geno plays and doesn't play one of his promising players. We simply have to trust his judgement and realize that there can be many reasons for this.
I understand what your saying, however some of his substitution decisions do give some people pause. It's okay to be a fan and question such things. However in the end the coaching staff will be judged by the results of their decisions.

Reaction Score
Thanks TonyC,

I too am frustrated by some of the posters who feel entitled to a certain performance out of the team, coaches, and players. They appear to take it personally when the game doesn’t meet their expectations.

Because it’s UConn, I know (we should all know) that everyone associated with the team is giving their best. Sometimes the best isn’t as good as the other team’s best. UConn wbb hates to lose.

For me, it’s a privilege to watch the players grow from freshman to senior year. Some of them may have WNBA aspirations, but most of our players will go onto to something else.

Of course, it’s tons of fun to watch UConn beat up on other teams. But it can also be fun to watch the players and coaches try to figure out a problem when something isn’t working. Each time, they learn something (this worked, this didn’t).

As a middle-aged adult, I’ve dealt with a tremendous amount of scrutiny and unreasonable expectations in my job. It nearly broke me. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, let alone young women who are learning who they are.

Reaction Score
Only the most irrational fan would argue that we haven’t had a recruiting problem for multiple years. The injury problems only highlight the shooting/size/speed/toughness issues. People can’t keep saying, “wait till next year” or “wait till X figures it out” - the world of WCB has caught up to us.
Injuries, injuries, injuries the class of 2021 was suppose a wonderful recruiting class-Azzi was #1, Caroline was #5 or #6, and Amari was #16. Azzi’s and Caroline’s injuries and Amari’s mediocre play have really damaged us. Imagine if they were healthy plus Paige what kind of a team we would have.

Reaction Score
Only Geno can answer your question without speculation. I would say this; she missed her shots and she " looked lost" on defense.

Reaction Score
Our challenge is to look at the two recent losses and identify the reasons. Heart was missing in both by most. Our offense is predictable and limited to a few players. Are we easy to defend?

Perhaps the idea of the players deciding who starts has appeal as it places responsibility on those on the floor. The poor starts in these losses set a difficult comeback challenge with a "first five" that is basically undecided at this point. I have yet to see enough players stepping up as the coach as suggested. We continue to defer to the few.

In most pick-up games, captains alternate picks and by default choose those that sit. It is time for radical thinking.

Reaction Score
Multiple posts here and in other threads with some people ready to write off this season after only 5 games. As far as I’m concerned there is too much pessimism even with the injuries. Maybe Paige needs to take a page from the Bluto Blutarski playbook and get this team fired up, because after all was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
On this one rare occasion, @Tonyc, I have to disagree. We have both an injury problem and a recruiting problem. It's not as bad as the doom chorus likes to pretend. But the fact is we are losing out on players we used to get. I suspect it's because the landscape has changed, partly because of NIL and the Portal, but also because of social media, which is now much more prevalent in HS kids' lives than it was even 10 years ago.

Geno is old school. He believes in discipline and character development, and that's how he built a dynasty. Personally, I think these are eternal values, and I look at UConn as a last bastion of noble virtues in college sports. I do not want Geno to change anything he's doing. But I also expect that for the next few years, he will be facing a much steeper uphill battle with recruiting, and this will make staying in the NC picture exponentially more difficult.

For whatever reason, teenagers are not as attracted to the idea of UConn team culture as they used to be, and this includes Geno's blunt honesty, CD's emphasis on body language and wearing stockings in public, forbidding tattoos or eyelash extensions, etc. I watched a clip from an interview with Angel and Flau'jae from before their moms' falling out and thought to myself, "these are the role models HS players are being offered by WCBB right now." We can still attract great players like Morgan and Allie (and maybe even Sarah), and this will keep us relevant for the near future. But if, for example, candy doesn't develop as we hope and we don't get the Big O to come to Storrs, it will be a long hard climb to the next few final fours. Geno can bring out the best in players, but he needs to build on a sustained core of talent as well.
Dawn used to have some of those rules, too, though she's eased up somewhat. When I'm hiring (I'm in banking), I have some absolutes, also.

Reaction Score

I respectfully disagree. Over the past few years, I feel both Kim Mulkey and Dawn Staley have proven to be more effective recruiters. Face facts. Kim Mulkey took a dormant LSU team, and in two years made them Nationl Champs. South Carolina had their starting five drafted by the WNBA, and yet they haven't missed a beat, rising to number 1 again this year.

Now, if Geno had been able to get Cardoso from Syracuse, or Morrow from Depaul, we might be looking at a different scenario, but we didn't.
Did Geno even try to get Cardoso?

Reaction Score
Multiple posts here and in other threads with some people ready to write off this season after only 5 games. As far as I’m concerned there is too much pessimism even with the injuries. Maybe Paige needs to take a page from the Bluto Blutarski playbook and get this team fired up, because after all was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

It isn’t about writing off the season, it is about some folks finally noticing the long-term trends catching up to the team (as seen in individual game losses). As much as I love watching UConn WBB, the decline has been obvious. The players are still wonderful people and representatives of the college.

Reaction Score
Probably because in the last two games, I don’t think she’s made a three when the game mattered and I think she had an airball from three and a bad
Miss

Reaction Score
Well alot of disappointed UConn fans looking for answers. Lets face it. We are going through some very tuff times with key players out.

We had no shooters or scorers except Paige. We did alot of passing again and waited for Paige to do something. We have shooters and theyre injured and cant play. Jana's out Azzi's out and both for the year. Caroline I have to wonder if she will be red shirted until she is healthy again. Carolines healthy comes first. Paige looked tired and worn, Griff coming back from her injury needed rest and we had to count on our inexperienced bench who havent had enough yet. No excuses and no blame this is what we have now. Aaliyah couldnt function down low because our opponents the past few games didnt have to guard the perimeter, because nobody was looking to shoot and when they did it didnt go it.

We dont have a recruiting problem we have an injury problem and its been that way for a couple of seasons. The question is when will we be healthy enough to play up to our expectations? I dont know and either do you. Hey we have the shooters and scorers and theyre injured. There has been talk about players going elsewhere. They go elsewhere because they want to play and not sit the bench behind Paige Azzi and Caroline. Thats reasonable. Yeah there is alot more talent in WCBB. We have some of the best of the best and theyre sitting. Another point some of you are talking about getting big and replacements for Dorka. That was Jana and shes out for the year. We have all the talent and players we need unfortunately theyre injured.

Some of your posts really make me angry and I know they make others angry because I talk to enough people. You have a right to be upset but lets not blame the coaches or players out of anger. We are not the team we thought we would be because we have KEY Players out or coming back from injury. We are once again a team of injuries to key players. One thing I will say is we have to do a better job of guarding the perimeter. We left players wide open yesterday and we did that in the NC State game. Can you imagine if they left Paige Azzi and Caroline open.

Hey we are what we are right now. Im sad, very sad but this is what it is. We will have to deal with it. Looking to next season will Azzi Caroline Jana and Yanna be heathly? Will Paige Nika Griff and Aaliyah come back and if they do what happens to those kids who have been waiting for their time to shine. Another important question is how much longer will Geno and Chris be around?????

Some of you think things are bad now and they certainly arent pretty but consider this. If we get healthy next season what will we look like? Yeah I know thats a big IF. Our girls Im sure are not happy but they need us now more then ever. Our injured cant do anything to help us. Our newbies can only continue to be developed. Some are injured, some are not fully healed, some will sit out this season not knowing what next season has in store for them and we as fans need to understand they could use some encouragement and support. Theyre still our girls and UConn is still our program and even though we are going through tuff times the past 3 years we cant give up on them. They need us now be there for them.
From what I've noticed with this team and ones after 2017 is we have greatathletes / recruits, but they have no killer instinct like those before it. Is it that we recruit those that are just too nice LOL? There's no grit and digging in of the heels when things get rough. Like you said, everyone stands around looking for the superstar to carry us off into the sunset (my words), when what we need is for them to start shooting. I don't see this getting better as we stand right now, since, I am sure, this topic of standing around and waiting for Paige has been discussed to death by Geno and his staff!

Reaction Score

If I recall correctly, Geno didn’t have interest in either one. Do you trust him? I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom