A Rat in the House: How Coach K is using USA basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Rat in the House: How Coach K is using USA basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where were UCONN's first four games this year?
Right, if we got that a huge percentage of years it would be bullsh1t, which was his point.

We've played so many road games in the tournament that we're owed a few more MSG situations if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Duke got the special treatment as a 1 or 2 seed. Uconn played 4 games within driving distance as a 6

Reaction Score
Duke got the special treatment as a 1 or 2 seed. Uconn played 4 games within driving distance as a 6

You're a little out of your depth here. So what accounts for the fact that the 3 other Uconn championship teams (seeded 1, 2, and 3, respectively) got shipped out West?

Reaction Score

Anything without an ocean in between is technically driving distance. Buffalo's not what I'd call a comfortable drive.

Reaction Score
Anything without an ocean in between is technically driving distance. Buffalo's not what I'd call a comfortable drive.

Yeah, that's gotta be like 400 miles. I'm not sure how that's a "home game."

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What I learned on the Boneyard tonight.

Playing two Philadelphia teams in Buffalo gives UConn an unfair advantage.

when 1/2 the crowd consists of syracuse fans.

Reaction Score
How far is msg?

Michigan State can't whine - we lost to them in Detroit in the 2009 Final Four. That was right before we played virtual road games at San Diego State and Arizona in Anaheim in 2011. And right after George Mason in DC in 2006 (still should have beat them, of course).

Before that, there was Florida in Florida in 1994, UCLA in Cali in 1995, UNC in North Carolina in 1998, and Texas in Texas in 2003.

We caught a break getting to play in Worcester in 2005 but were too injured to take advantage. And we caught a break this year advancing to MSG when we weren't supposed to and taking the spot that was meant for Villanova. Seems like we've been on the short end more often than not, so I'm not shedding a tear for poor Sparty.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
seanmc94 said:
How far is msg?

So, now that you realize you sound like an idiot, you move the goalposts? Who do you think you are, Kevin McNamara?

Reaction Score
buffalo is literally further than dc when driving from ct. thats a road trip.

zls44

Reaction Score
I ran the numbers...since 1990, here is the breakdown of UConn's NCAAT sites:
New York - 10 games (4 Buffalo, 2 Syracuse, 2 Uniondale, 2 NYC)
Washington DC - 8
Texas - 5 (including one against Texas)
Arizona - 4
California - 4 (including one against UCLA)
Florida - 2 (including one against lower-seeded Florida)
Washington - 2 (including one against a lower-seeded western team)
Indiana - 2
Michigan - 2 (including once against lower-seeded Michigan State in the FF)
Kentucky - 2 (including one against lower-seeded SEC team)
New Jersey - 2
Ohio - 2
North Carolina - 2 (including one against UNC)
Colorado - 2
Alabama - 2 (including once against a lower-seeded SEC team)
Connecticut - 2 (in 1990)

zls44

Reaction Score
Forgot 2 in Massachusetts

Reaction Score
You're a little out of your depth here. So what accounts for the fact that the 3 other Uconn championship teams (seeded 1, 2, and 3, respectively) got shipped out West?

I'm talking about last year...not t
So, now that you realize you sound like an idiot, you move the goalposts? Who do you think you are, Kevin McNamara?

What goal posts did I move? I never referred to past years; other posters did. I said uconn had an advantage playing close to home as a lower seed. If you don't like those facts, sorry. But that's what this thread derailed to. Dukes geographic advantage in the tourney. I pointed out that they aren't the only ones to benifit.

Reaction Score

What goal posts did I move? I never referred to past years; other posters did. I said uconn had an advantage playing close to home as a lower seed. If you don't like those facts, sorry. But that's what this thread derailed to. Dukes geographic advantage in the tourney. I pointed out that they aren't the only ones to benifit.

If the regular season champs from your league weren't so pillowy soft, Uconn never makes it to MSG.

Reaction Score
Villanova also had no injuries so no damn excuses. Nobody discusses that nova win despite the fact were underdogs going into it. OH i think they claim nova was 'over seeded' now that i think about it.

Reaction Score
Boeheim responded to the Woj article. He disagreed with the content, just like everyone else. He said only 1 coach has complained about the increased access he and K have had with recruits. That coach? John Calipari, of course.

Reaction Score
Boeheim responded to the Woj article. He disagreed with the content, just like everyone else. He said only 1 coach has complained about the increased access he and K have had with recruits. That coach? John Calipari, of course.

LOL, if Squid was the coach Team USA would be playing ESPN-televised exhibition games at the high school gyms of Kentucky's top recruits.

Reaction Score
wait, Coach K is having a press conference on this article or was it in regards to something else?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Woj def has an axe to grind. however, imagine if coach k were forced to ACTUALLLY coach 19-20 year olds vs grown men? it would be a debacle. When he is left with his duke staff, he can't beat terrible acc teams and mercer.
Liked this just for the "and mercer."

Reaction Score

Let's not compare UConn's luck to play at MSG to anything which has enabled Duke and UNC consistently to play in their home state in the first or 2nd rounds. Raleigh, Charlotte and Greensboro have been routinely hosting them over the years.

Reaction Score
This to mean is non-news. Any college coach in his situation would (and should) use it as an advantage. As for K he needs to.

UConn's coach only need to pick up the phone to establish NBA relationships, not use a contest to tout his access.

To me this is bigger news: linky

how is that legal????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member