A Rant about defense | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Rant about defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Well, we do have people (as expected) idiotically claiming this winter storm means climate change isn't real. They're using the eye test. ;)

the climate has been changing for 2 billion years, give or take

and the earth has been warming since the last ice age, 17,000 years or so

I'm assuming everyone knows this ;)

and mankind should be preparing for how to cope with something we can never change, and stop pretending we can change the inevitable

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

and mankind should be preparing for how to cope with something we can never change, and stop pretending we can change the inevitable
this is getting cesspool level but you leave out the fact that there is a degree to which man has accelerated it. At what degree I cannot say with certainty, but in the end whats the worse that can happen by man being a little more conscious and friendly toward the environment he inhabits?

Reaction Score

Pretty sure Willie is thee authority on the subject. He's convinced me. In fact because dying is also inevitable today I am going to start smoking. Can anyone recommend a tasty brand?

willie99

Reaction Score
this is getting cesspool level but you leave out the fact that there is a degree to which man has accelerated it. At what degree I cannot say with certainty, but in the end whats the worse that can happen by man being a little more conscious and friendly toward the environment he inhabits?

our biggest contribution to any change may just be population growth, and flatulence

I have no problem with trying to be environmentally friendly, that's worked wonders for our water and our air. My biggest gripe with the man made (now) climate change argument is that there will be catastrophic changes in our climate (based on the earth's history) and we should be trying to prepare for them instead of pretending driving smaller cars will prevent such changes

and I concur, I don't come here to discuss this nonsense, I'm here to discuss more pressing matters

willie99

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Willie is thee authority on the subject. He's convinced me. In fact because dying is also inevitable today I am going to start smoking. Can anyone recommend a tasty brand?

I know enough to observe history, and I assume 2 billion years of history will continue to repeat itself

but, maybe driving Yugos will actually change all that, I can't be certain :)

Reaction Score
I thought the defense failed the eye test early in the season and has been pretty good in the last couple of weeks. And the stats don't lie by this point in the season, the sample size is now large enough.

Reaction Score
Ha, didn't realize willie was a crazy too.

Go get some facts, etc.

Reaction Score
What happens is you leave billions of people in darkness, ignorance and squalor using solutions that even the people who proposed them know will make almost no difference.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
What happens is you leave billions of people in darkness, ignorance and squalor using solutions that even the people who proposed them know will make almost no difference.

"almost no difference"
So you admit that measures taken can make some difference then, eh Pal?

I consider that progress. You are softening. There may be hope for you yet.

Reaction Score
I've never seen a forum so divided on a subject like this one is with statistics and the eye test. Wait, yes I have...

For the record, I don't know how anyone could look at the stats and say "Nah, they are wrong - this team is pretty poor defensively."
When you speak on anything factual, I take notice and automatically agree with you. I wish we had went to school together so you could have taken my exams for me.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This is a straw man. It does not have to be all or nothing. And given in life that it almost never is. Your scenario simply wouldn't happen.

From a good discussion about UCONN's defense to a politicized (read: automatically doomed) discussion of science and climate change. Boneyard city.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

This is a straw man. It does not have to be all or nothing. And given in life that it almost never is. Your scenario simply wouldn't happen.

From a good discussion about UCONN's defense to a politicized (read: automatically doomed) discussion of science and climate change. Boneyard city.

Okay...can we let this go now before it becomes a full blown Cesspool conversation?

The problem tzz, is that it is so hard to let ignoramus-ical statements go unchallenged. Yes I made that word up.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
When you speak on anything factual, I take notice and automatically agree with you. I wish we had went to school together so you could have taken my exams for me.

You kidding again Kit? @tcf15 was totally one of those insufferable twits who raised his hand to every single question. In his old age, he's resorted to trolling for likes. ;)

Reaction Score
"almost no difference"
So you admit that measures taken can make some difference then, eh Pal?

I consider that progress. You are softening. There may be hope for you yet.
Actually no, the difference will be statistically insignificant. it will have no effect. It will be overwhelmed by natural variation.

The IPCC numbers show it.

Reaction Score
We are a good not great defensive team. In fact we are better defensively than most of the teams we played so far.

Reaction Score
No, we are a great defensive team.
We have great numbers, but I want to see how we do against SMU - specifically our post defense against them - before I'm comfortable calling us "great."

I think we're limited against teams that can hurt us in the low block.

pj

Reaction Score
As of today's game we are ranked 4th in the country defensively on Kenpom.

By the end of the season we'll be #1. Heck with a few more games holding opponents to 41 points we'll be #1.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Our defense has improved beyond my wildest dreams this year. Is it 1990? No. Is it a strength where it was a weakness. Yes! Glad to know the numbers back it up.
If you don't think our defense is pretty good, you need new eyes.

And everyone can keep their neanderthal climate opinions out of our basketball thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom