A question I would ask Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A question I would ask Geno

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He said something to the effect, picking "a" favorite might be too hard. But one of his favorites was his mom's eggplant parm.

A wonderful dish, but, alas, a couple of decades ago my body said Enough With The Eggplant! :(

Reaction Score
Non UConn player I would have to say Sheryl Swoopes, the best jump shot I have ever seen in the women's game. Sheryl Swoopes scored 47 points in the championship game between Texas Tech and Ohio State, setting the record for most points scored in a Final Four game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A wonderful dish, but, alas, a couple of decades ago my body said Enough With The Eggplant! :(
My tastebuds said "NO, NO, NO" first time I smelled it. My wife loves it though.

Reaction Score
Sylvia Fowles in the 2007 NCAAs, one of the few times I remember a UCONN team being blown out, and possibly the only time when it looked like it was because the other team's star was just too good.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sylvia Fowles in the 2007 NCAAs, one of the few times I remember a UCONN team being blown out, and possibly the only time when it looked like it was because the other team's star was just too good.

Tina sure didn't enjoy it! Exposed | By Tina Charles

"Coach always has a meeting before he lets players off after the season. I went to his office. Do you still want this? Do you still want to accomplish everything you told me at the beginning? He asked me. He was always hard on me. The truth was I wanted it all, even more.

Before he let me go, he pulled out a newspaper. On the front page was a picture of Sylvia Fowles blocking one of my shots. He just handed it to me, across the table, without saying a word. The meeting was over.

I cut that picture out and posted it in my locker. I stared at that picture every day up through my senior year."

Reaction Score
I heard Geno say on one of the shows that he recruited both Ogwumike sisters, that he really liked the parents (which we know is very important to him), but he knew he wasn't going to get them. I took him to mean that Nneka wanted the academics of Stanford (I believe she wants to be a doctor) and then Chiney wanted to play with her sister plus the academics.

You are assuming Geno is being 100% truthful. I doubt that here.

UConn made the final 2 or 3 for both ogwumikes. You do not get there without a huge effort by the entire UConn staff. If he knew he was gonna lose I doubt Geno wouldve expended such effort.

Instead I think he thought Stanford had the advantage but that UConn had a shot.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why everyone is listing players who were merely great. Geno has said time and again that players need to be the right fit, and we’ve seen him not pursue every great player.

I think it is more illustrative to look at the players Geno recruited hard but didn’t get - those are the ones he likely most would’ve wanted to coach.

Reaction Score
The thing that fascinates me about Geno is that he has a vision of the type of player a recruit could become and then coaches them up to that level. You’re seeing it with KLS on defense this year, you’re seeing Z make big strides, Dangerfield, etc. My question for Geno is, which players almost defied your expectations and became even better than what you originally thought they could be?

Reaction Score
He and a certain Kara of orange fame are members of a mutual admiration society.
He really liked/likes Angel
He regretted not recruiting Beard (was misinformed that she would never leave the south.)
Likes Griner a lot
Likes three of Maya's teammates a lot. (Fowles, Augustus, Whalen)
Three or more of the Cardinal alum - O sisters, Appel, (and Bonnie and Karlie)
Not sure but probably a couple of Irish
Cappie from Rutgers at least.
The all world guard from ND...with movie star looks, and the Hollywood name. Now in WNBA.
The Oboomwkay ( sp?) sisters from Stanford.
A'Ja Wilson

Reaction Score
The thing that fascinates me about Geno is that he has a vision of the type of player a recruit could become and then coaches them up to that level. You’re seeing it with KLS on defense this year, you’re seeing Z make big strides, Dangerfield, etc. My question for Geno is, which players almost defied your expectations and became even better than what you originally thought they could be?
This is a really interesting question which he might answer, not including the current team of course.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Therefore, as I understand it, subjects of infinitive phrases are in the accusative case (whom) not the nominative case (who), as written.:(
Isn't "accusative" from Latin class?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno has been quoted a few times as saying Catchings is the one player he would have most liked to coach in college -- not sure he thinks she is the best non-UCONN player but I'm sure she is right up there
Yep, this. He's said it many times.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
But I can't, as I haven't been invited yet for lasagna dinner, cooked by his Mom. :):)

"Requirement" -- you saw at least from D and Sue, and preferably from 1995, if not before. (I started watching in Maya's junior year, hence the question.

Question: Who are the 3-4 best non-UConn players you saw? Best could be simply the best player(s), the ones you feared the most, etc. And why, please. And, please only use data from their college playing. No WNBA or pickup games you may have played against them. :)

Point to note: Now, I understand there is (was?) a rather "heated" rivalry with some school in the South. Can't remember the name, but I think their main color was some shade of orange. I have never seen UConn play this school, except on tape. Hmm, please do pick from this school, as needed. :):) (I recall D had her arm around one of those players from the orange-jersey school at the 2012 Olympics, a Tamika somebody or other, and the interviewer asked about the rivalry, and D said with a big smile, "Oh, that was a long time ago." D made said player promise to play in the 2016 Games, and said player did.)

With a lull in the schedule, and the yard lacking in any new developments in the program, it might be fun to pose this question........................

If you could ask Geno a question (and get an answer), what would it be? Mine would be "who are the top 3 recruits on UConn's want list for 2019 & 2020?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
My questions for Coach Geno:

What is your favorite wine?
Would you rather drink Chianti than a French wine?
What is your all-time favorite dish that you mom made you?

Reaction Score
My questions for Coach Geno:

What is your favorite wine?
Would you rather drink Chianti than a French wine?
What is your all-time favorite dish that you mom made you?

Hey Fairfield Fan- - - -I think you'll get a kick out of this!
I don't remember where I read this Geno & Kathy Auriemma story maybe in the Courant several years ago.
Early in their marriage Kathy wanted to cook one of Geno's favorites of his Mom's Italian cooking.
She worked most of the afternoon preparing the dish, but ran out of one small ingredient and figured it was only "a pinch or something" it wouldn't effect the dish.
Geno came home washed up and they sat down to dinner.
He took one bite of the special dish and said to Kathy, "if you're not going to do the G.D. dish right don't do it at all, you left out the-------seasoning!" And preceded to storm out!
Kathy was shocked he knew exactly what stuff she ran out of and this was not one of her & Geno's favorite moments!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom