A question about firing PP | The Boneyard

A question about firing PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some people have said that PP should/would not get whacked before the end of the season so we should just forget it; I seriously would like to know why not?

I don't want to hear all of the reasons for firing him immediately, those opinions are well documented here and I am not trying to create another "PP Sucks" thread. But what I am curious to hear is why people think he will/should not be fired (or at least have it announced he will be let go) before the season ends.

As a caveat, I understand that a lot of people who are saying this have also made it clear that they are not stating that they don't want him replaced, but are stating that they don't think he will be before December.

I was just curious; I mean, what's the worst thing that could happen?

Reaction Score
I'll lead off. And I'll try to be helpful.

Firing PP in the middle of the season would be way too over the top for a conservative state like Connecticut. Overly simplistic, absolutely, but Connecticut (and New England in general) are very much out of touch with the rest of the nation (save for Jim Calhoun and UC women's hoops). Connecticut (and its fellow NE siblings) tend to look to the past. The South and West have grown strong by appealing to a nouve rich mentality that is not wed to the past. Heck, PP was hired because he was a safe, non controversial hire.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think it might be announced that he won't be retained, and it sounds like some people are hearing rumors he will actually be fired sooner rather than later. But to answer your question, one answer might that if say TJW or HH is named interim coach, maybe the other assistants don't get along / communicate well with the interim, causing the locker room to become divided and morale to slip further down. The other reason is that if the AD fires a coach midseason, potential HC candidates might look at that and see it as a job where HC's get whacked quickly. Now, realistically I don't think anyone can say it looks like the team could possibly turn things around in year 3 under PP, the previous sentence would have more weight if an objective observer could say "there are areas of improvement under PP so if he's fired now it makes UConn's admin look bad to potential HC candidates". Still, I could see the AD waiting until UConn is mathematically eliminated from the possibility of going bowling, just to make the firing completely justified on paper. I think the benefit for UConn will be in hiring the right coach in December, and I don't think any interim coach can rescue this season so there's not a clear benefit to firing PP right now or later mid-season, other than making fans feel better, or less bad, about seeing PP on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
the worst thing that could happen, and what would happen, is that we wouldn't have anybody recruiting at all for us. all of our coaches would be looking for a landing spot rather than trying to develop our players, or recruit other players. there's no reason to announce his firing until we can start trying to hire his replacement, and we can't do that at this point in the season.

Reaction Score
the worst thing that could happen, and what would happen, is that we wouldn't have anybody recruiting at all for us.

I wouldn't be too concerned about recruiting being negatively affected by a mid-season sacking. Hire the right take-no-prisoners recruiter who has no qualms continuing to recruit "committed" players and you can make up a lot of ground from December to signing day. Urban Meyer didn't make many friends when he took the Ohio State job and I don't think he gives two craps who he ticked off.

Reaction Score
the worst thing that could happen, and what would happen, is that we wouldn't have anybody recruiting at all for us. all of our coaches would be looking for a landing spot rather than trying to develop our players, or recruit other players. there's no reason to announce his firing until we can start trying to hire his replacement, and we can't do that at this point in the season.

Understood... But wouldn't any reasonable intelligent coach see the writing on the wall and consider themselves cooked anyway? I would think that maybe getting rid of PP and GDL would actually allow them to perform their jobs better.

On a similar note, I would think that our current stench must not be helping with recruiting anyway, and if we could perhaps get a spark of life from a change it could be helpful.

I was just thinking, especially from what I've heard about play calling and O Line play, that if at least GDL gets whacked immediately then we still have a long way to go this season to at least start turning the ship around. Since I fully don't expect Felix to get rid of Oscar I figured we would have to get rid of the whole Odd Couple.

We could at least get a good look at Weist to see if he is the real deal (and hopefully Foley could undo some of the GDL damage).

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There just isn't a ton of benefit to firing someone week 3 other than it satisfies the blood lust.

Reaction Score
There just isn't a ton of benefit to firing someone week 3 other than it satisfies the blood lust.

Nothing else is being satisfied by this program right now. Might as well put that post in the "pro" column

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nothing else is being satisfied by this program right now. Might as well put that post in the "pro" column

It's the only reason to do it now. It probably leads to a worse record this season. It would be 10 weeks similar to when Terry Robiskie coached Washington.

Reaction Score
Glad someone pointed that out.

Reaction Score
It's the only reason to do it now. It probably leads to a worse record this season. It would be 10 weeks similar to when Terry Robiskie coached Washington.

Fair enough point, but if we're looking down the barrel of a 2-3 win season (which is more or less the consensus around here at the moment) cutting that win total in half isn't exactly devastating.

For me, I am mostly curious to see what Weist can do without the ghost of GDL breathing down his neck. And if Foley can get at least some semblance of improvement from the OL.

I really don't know what the best course of action is, which is why I'm asking...

Reaction Score
The only tangible benefit of making a move now is that it might re-energize the players. Listening to the post-game interviews the last two games, you get the sense that the players aren't upset with losing anymore. This is a problem to me. It's one thing if the talent is so sub-par that their record and statistics reflect it, but I don't think that is the case. Before jumping on me for that, all I am trying to suggest is that there is too much talent for the run defense and run offense BOTH to be sub-100 units. As evidenced by the 4th and short punt late in the game down two scores, it does not appear that the team plays to win.

Overhauling the system now might cost Uconn the season, but staring at 0-2 with Michigan and the ACC slate (Louisville, Rutgers, UCF), what exactly is the difference. The team is not going bowling if this continues, and might already be too far in the whole for it. Changing now might shock the system enough to carry the team a bit beyond what they are capable of (we've seen these things happen before).

If nothing else, there is no point to continuing down this path, especially if PP is a lame-duck coach getting the ax in December anyway.

Reaction Score
The next recruit that commits and doesn't realize PP is gone needs to go to NC and take fake classes.

Why would any recruit commit to this mess until a new coach is named anyways?

Firing his ass after Michigan does nothing to hurt recruiting.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is no reason to keep him beyond Sunday barring a win Saturday night on National TV. Only because it's a big enough week for the players that they don't need the addition disruption.

Should have legit fired him after TSU.

Then again, an interim coach beating Michigan would be a huge boost.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
He needs to go after Michigan and if he does not myself and many more will turn toward sh&tcanning the Rock Star as well. Continually running Mccombs out there to get stuffed along with not giving another QB some snaps is a reason, if yo want one.
The pathetic performance by experienced OL is another. I was close enough to see GDL with his chalkboard with the OL sitting during the 3rd, trying to rxplain something to them. They weren't even listening. Worst part of our game coached by GDL
Fire him, Hughes takes over against UB

Reaction Score
It only makes sense to fire P now if Warde thinks a member of the staff could be in the running for the full time position. Our choices are TJ Weist and........

So does Warde think TJ can be the guy? if yes, make the move now.

Reaction Score
He needs to go after Michigan and if he does not myself and many more will turn toward sh&tcanning the Rock Star as well. Continually running Mccombs out there to get stuffed along with not giving another QB some snaps is a reason, if yo want one.
The pathetic performance by experienced OL is another. I was close enough to see GDL with his chalkboard with the OL sitting during the 3rd, trying to rxplain something to them. They weren't even listening. Worst part of our game coached by GDL
Fire him, Hughes takes over against UB
If you are gonna fire P..and have him take GDL with him..Hughes goes too. Those PUTRID defensive game plans he has come up with so far have flat out sucked! If you want to do this let Weist takeover.

Reaction Score
Understood... But wouldn't any reasonable intelligent coach see the writing on the wall and consider themselves cooked anyway? I would think that maybe getting rid of PP and GDL would actually allow them to perform their jobs better.

i agree 100% with the part i put in bold, but i'm pretty certain P has no idea that his job is at all in jeopardy

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm 1000% in the "fire him right now" camp. I'll worry about recruiting later. We need to save this program RIGHT NOW before it drops further into the AAC abyss. Let's get a friggin' pulse back. Nothing worse than playing out a string of losses with a lameduck coach that everybody knows is gone after the season anyway.

Reaction Score
Very good topic.

Who is available right now that could be our HC for the next 5+ years? That's the applicant pool to choose from if you fire PP midseason. Naming an interim or giving TW the rental car keys is a mistake.

Unfortunately mid season you can't grab anyone's OC or DC. So who is unemployed right now? No one's name jumps out. So UConn has to sit and wait. I do think firing GD would help - at least TW would benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom